Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Totally OT question about Marine band radios for boats

Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

Anyone have a used marine radio for swap/trade?

Best way to mount an antenna on a sailboat? Mast, railing, hull?
Does a mast make a groundplane? (sorry..stroke effect.... I just
found..cant remember **** about ground plane technicals)

Im ass deep in old CBs that still work, might stick one of those in
the boat..but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Help!
(Grin)

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Marine band walkee-talkee radios are widely used, and cheap. Real
useful if you need help. Start small, and see if more is needed.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 15:15:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

Can't comment on fresh water boats but on the ocean a VHF is a good
thing to have. Talk to the water cops, listen to weather reports, etc.
Usually mount the antenna on the top of the mast - higher gives longer
range - and powered by the ship's electrical system.... but of course
you probably don't have an electrical system :-) so maybe a hand held
with a spare charged battery and maybe a masthead antenna so that you
can connect the hand held to a decent antenna would be the way to go.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:15:48 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.

I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor

marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna

mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc

etc

Gunner

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license? I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

But you are probably good with your cell phone on most CA lakes.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:26:04 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:15:48 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.

I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor

marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna

mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc

etc

Gunner

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license?

Its on hold at the moment...little time to break away and go take the
test.

I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

But..but..der aint enough antennas and wires and Cool Stuff!.

But thanks for the idea! Ill definately check out the radios!

But you are probably good with your cell phone on most CA lakes.

Dan

Pretty much what I figured..but to talk to another boat..you have to
have their cell number, right?

Thanks for the Baofeng suggestion!

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:38:38 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

But..but..der aint enough antennas and wires and Cool Stuff!.

You can connect the walkie Talkie to a different antenna.

So if you get a Marine Band radio, you can only use it on the marine band. The Walkie Talkie can be used on the marine band immediately and when you get your license also on the ham bands and can be used to monitor the weather station. I think you can also use it on the FRS and GMRS frequencies. It will not put out as much signal as a Marine Band radio, but will not require a big battery to use it.

Dan

Why buy a marine band radio that can only be used on the marine band.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 12:32:40 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:38:38 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

But..but..der aint enough antennas and wires and Cool Stuff!.

You can connect the walkie Talkie to a different antenna.

So if you get a Marine Band radio, you can only use it on the marine band. The Walkie Talkie can be used on the marine band immediately and when you get your license also on the ham bands and can be used to monitor the weather station. I think you can also use it on the FRS and GMRS frequencies. It will not put out as much signal as a Marine Band radio, but will not require a big battery to use it.

Dan

Why buy a marine band radio that can only be used on the marine band.

Thanks guys for the heads up on the Baofeng radio! Ive just bid on
one on ebay after doing considerable research on them. Seems like one
hell of a radio! I already downloaded the PC programming software and
have been checking it out as well.

Much obliged!

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, July 15, 2013 4:07:27 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Thanks guys for the heads up on the Baofeng radio! Ive just bid on

one on ebay after doing considerable research on them. Seems like one

hell of a radio! I already downloaded the PC programming software and

have been checking it out as well.

Much obliged!

Gunner

Just remember the buy it now with free shipping price is about $42. You might check with any hams in your area to see what a used one goes for.

Have you looked at Gixen? It lets you submit bids on multiple items and not bid on any more after you win one auction.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm ahead of you in buying one. And a friend who talked me into it
has promised (but not fulfilled it) to help me learn how to program
it. I intend to get my amateur license this winter. Hey, ya wanna
go to different schools together this December?

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 6:15:48 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna

mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc

etc

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license?

Its on hold at the moment...little time to break away and go take the
test.

Before you go to take the test, it does not hurt to take the
on-line practice exams. The two sites which I tried we

aa9pw.com

and

eHam.net

The practice exams are made up from the same question pools used for the
real exams, so they give you a pretty good idea how you will do. I
first tried the Technician class test, figuring that I had a pretty good
chance at that from my previous employment (except for the rules based
things, of course). After a little while I decided to try the General
test as well, and got pretty comfortable with that, so I went on up to
the Extra class test, had to refresh my memory on various things.
Learned things from the questions I got wrong earlier. (The practice
tests show you what you got wrong, and what the proper answer should
have been.) Once you are comfortable with them (you can get up to 9
wrong out of 35 on the first two tests, and up to 13 wrong out of 50 on
the third one for Extra) you can take it feeling pretty confident,
knowing that you will get some wrong, but that you are very likely to
pass.

For me -- it worked simply taking the practice tests, and
learning from them. For others, learing from books, and just an
occasional practice test works better. It depends on how much
electronic theory you have in your head, and how much about antenna
theory. (And there are questions about various safety things, too.)

I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for
about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band.
Plus it has a FM radio.

But..but..der aint enough antennas and wires and Cool Stuff!.

That was my feeling about a Marconi rigged sailboat after having
learned on a Gaff rigged one. Not enough lines. :-)

But thanks for the idea! Ill definately check out the radios!

But you are probably good with your cell phone on most CA lakes.

Dan

Pretty much what I figured..but to talk to another boat..you have to
have their cell number, right?

Yes. Set up a blinker to exchange cell numbers, or sail close
enough to shout. :-)

There are also citizens radio service handhelds which work up
around 400+ MHz, and which are legal without a license for some of the
chanels (limited power) and on other channels, you need an operator's
license or a station license for the handheld (not a ham license).

Thanks for the Baofeng suggestion!

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:26:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license? I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio..

Dan

Mea Culpa. The Baofeng in not legal on the marine band or the frs, murs, or GMRS bands in that it is not FCC part 95 approved. It is not so much that it will not work at those frequencies , because it will transmit and can receive on those bands. The problem is that the operator can program it to other frequencies. And FCC 95 requires that the radios be designed so they can only be used an those frequencies. So if you have bought one of these, you can use it to monitor the marine band frequencies. But you can not legally transmit on those frequencies.

But do not go buy a marine band radio on Ebay unless you make sure it complies with the narrow band requirements that went into effect last January.

Sorry about that

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 06:51:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 9:26:04 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Are you still working on getting your amateur radio license? I am pretty sure you can get a Baofeng dual band walkie Taklie for about $40 on Ebay and use it on the amateur bands and the marine band. Plus it has a FM radio.

Dan

Mea Culpa. The Baofeng in not legal on the marine band or the frs, murs, or GMRS bands in that it is not FCC part 95 approved. It is not so much that it will not work at those frequencies , because it will transmit and can receive on those bands. The problem is that the operator can program it to other frequencies. And FCC 95 requires that the radios be designed so they can only be used an those frequencies. So if you have bought one of these, you can use it to monitor the marine band frequencies. But you can not legally transmit on those frequencies.

A little thing like Part 95 is not going to worry me in the slightest.
Least of all in the areas where Im likely to use it. Shrug.

The "Friendly Candy Company" isnt like the ATF...anymore.
However..I am..am looking for a good used, individual Marine radio.

But do not go buy a marine band radio on Ebay unless you make sure it complies with the narrow band requirements that went into effect last January.

None of the old ones have been Grandfathered? Id be tremendiously
suprised if that were the case. Any info on that? (later note..check
data below)

Sorry about that

Dan

My Baofeng UV-B6 shows that it will be delivered today as it hit the
local post office at 7am, according to the tracking data
The programming data is already on my computer and the freqs and
whatnot are already programmed in for marine, ham and several local
agencies (receive only), when it arrives, Ill plug in the charger and
this evening, program it. Ill give a review in the next day or 2.

Almost 3 weeks shipping. The programming cable took 6 days to get
here.

Shrug...Ill not be going on the ham bands until I get my ticket, but
now Ill be able to test any marine radios I encounter in my scrounging
efforts. (low power and a dummy load is in my truck already)

And I thank YOU for the original information leading up to the
monumental cost of $40 for the radio and $3.50 for the programming
cable and software.

Btw...I just did a quick search o the subject

You may review the very last data line at the bottom. If its hard to
read (and Ive not corrected the formating..so it probably is hard to
read) ..simply click on the link below.

http://wirelessradio.net/Myths-Realities.htm

Narrowbanding Myths and Realities
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to "go digital"
(i.e. P25; NXDN; MotoTRBO, TETRA)
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use 6.25 KHz
emissions
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to change to a new
frequency or band
Myth: The Narrowbanding Mandate requires licensees to use trunking
technology

The above claims are false in the context of any of them actually
being required to comply with the
narrowbanding mandate. They may, however, be valid OPTIONS for
consideration by individual
licensees or certain types of radio system user groups (i.e. Public
Safety) when comparing the features, capabilities, benefits and added
value those advanced technology options offer with those provided by
existing radio systems and/or, in determining whether present systems
still effectively meet a licensees
current and future communications needs and requirements.

It is imperative that licensees thoroughly discuss, analize, and
understand how these OPTIONS may
(or may not) be beneficial to their specific radio system operations.
Using the services of qualified radio communications professionals
when planning and implementing any narrowband migration project is
highly recommended.

Myth: Wideband licensees may continue to operate on a "secondary user"
basis after 01/01/2013

Not true. ALL Part 90 VHF and UHF two way voice dispatch, data, SCADA,
and private radio paging systems must be operating in a 12.5 KHz
narrowband (or equivalent) mode on or before the 01/01/2013 date
unless -- and only if -- a Narrowbanding Waiver has been issued to
the licensee.

Myth: Everybody must narrowband again by 2017

This myth is inaccurate. This date applies only to Part 90 Public
Safety 700 MHz systems which must be operating with 6.25 KHz
emissions/equivalency by January 1, 2017. Part 90 VHF (150-174 MHz)
or UHF (421-470 MHz) licensees are NOT required to migrate to 6.25 KHz
emissions/equivalency by this or any other date

Myth: 3rd Party narrowbanding "kits" may be used to modify equipment
to comply with the Mandate

No. "To be compliant with the commission's rules, the radio must be
specifically certificated for
narrowband use under Part 90" (Ira Keltz, deputy chief, FCC's
Office of Engineering and
Technology -
http://missioncriticalmag.com/onlyon...lyOnlineID=147
01/20/2010
and
http://missioncriticalmag.com/onlyon...lyOnlineID=151
02/02/2010)

Also see the FCC's responses to FAQ's regarding other
Narrowbanding scenarios

Also see VHF/UHF FAQ's

Reality: Part 90 narrowbanding is NOT optional

Reality: Do NOT ignore the narrowbanding compliance date of January 1,
2013

Reality: Failure to comply without an FCC Waiver WILL result in
license revocation and/or monetary penalties

Reality: Narrowbanding is not complete until all subscriber and
infrastructure radios in a system have been
either replaced or re-programmed to operate in the
narrowband mode. Many existing radio systems are
still operating in the wide-band mode - do you know
the status of YOUR system?

Reality: Interference WILL occur to wideband systems as new narrowband
systems are
deployed on narrowband frequencies adjacent to those
used by wideband systems

Reality: After 01/01/2013, any Part 90 system still operating in the
wideband mode that causes
interference to compliant narrowband systems will be
subject to several FCC enforcement
actions, including the immediate shut down of the
offending system

Reality: Low, potentially distorted, or unintelligible audio or,
corrupted data, WILL occur
between wideband and narrowband devices operating in the
same system

Reality: Narrowbanding WILL require well-planned and coordinated
implementation strategies
to avoid disruption of normal day-to-day radio
communications and operations

Reality: After 01/01/2013, all dual-mode capable 25/12.5 KHz radio
equipment must be operated
only in the 12.5 KHz narrowband mode

*** Note below ***

Reality: The Narrowbanding Mandate does NOT apply to Low Band (30-50
MHz) 220, 700, 800 or 900 MHz Part 90 systems, nor to FRS, GMRS, MURS,
Amateur, Marine VHF, or CB radio users

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It got hear as I was hitting Send. Id posted this and my wife was
standing over me..handing me the box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

First -- do you have a license? If not, are you ready to go
through the licensing process?

I just (yesterday) went through the process of getting tested
for a ham license -- and passed all three, so I am now an Extra class
amateur, but waiting for the FCC to put up my call sign on their web
site.

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

How big is the sailboat? If you are moving it from lake to lake
on a trailer, it is probably not large enough to provide a safe dry
place for the radio, so a handheld might be the best bet there.

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

For a handheld -- bring along as many pre-charged replacement
batteries as needed for your expected time out there, plus one. Assume
that you will have it just listening most of the time, but if you have
trouble, you may need to transmit a lot more than would normally be the
case. Keep the handheld and the batteries in sealed ZipLoc baggies.
This means a longer baggie for the radio with its antenna.

Anyone have a used marine radio for swap/trade?

Sorry -- no.

Best way to mount an antenna on a sailboat? Mast, railing, hull?
Does a mast make a groundplane? (sorry..stroke effect.... I just
found..cant remember **** about ground plane technicals)

By itself, no -- but with an antenna on the top and radials you
might get a good enough one. Except that it will tilt every time the
craft heels over. Not sure what effect this would have on the radiation
pattern. But a handheld could be held to keep the antenna vertical
under most circumstances. Unless the lakes are really big, the range of
a 2 meter handheld should be sufficient. And I know that mine can
*receive* outside the ham bands, though it is locked from transmitting
there. (I suspect that this is a SMOP (Simple Matter Of Programming) to
change what is allowed, but I have not dug into mine to see whether it
can be done. Better to get one designed for the use.

Im ass deep in old CBs that still work, might stick one of those in
the boat.

Does anyone even listen to CB frequencies these days? The best
transmitter in the world is no good if nobody is listening while you are
having problems.

.but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Size of craft? Handheld is my first suggestion, until I know
whether there is enough space to mount it where it is protected from the
water.

Are the stays (stainless) steel wire or something
non-conductive? If non-conductive you might be able to do some creative
wiring to make the mast (aluminum?) serve as the antenna -- though the
effect of heeling over may be counterproctive.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 15 Jul 2013 03:04:39 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

First -- do you have a license? If not, are you ready to go
through the licensing process?

No. Not for marine band.

I just (yesterday) went through the process of getting tested
for a ham license -- and passed all three, so I am now an Extra class
amateur, but waiting for the FCC to put up my call sign on their web
site.

Bravo!!

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

How big is the sailboat? If you are moving it from lake to lake
on a trailer, it is probably not large enough to provide a safe dry
place for the radio, so a handheld might be the best bet there.

Its 21 feet long. Big enough to sleep 4.

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

For a handheld -- bring along as many pre-charged replacement
batteries as needed for your expected time out there, plus one. Assume
that you will have it just listening most of the time, but if you have
trouble, you may need to transmit a lot more than would normally be the
case. Keep the handheld and the batteries in sealed ZipLoc baggies.
This means a longer baggie for the radio with its antenna.

Makes sense.

[...]

Some places CB never lost its popularity...or not much. Others..its
gone.

.but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Size of craft? Handheld is my first suggestion, until I know
whether there is enough space to mount it where it is protected from the
water.

21 foot.

Are the stays (stainless) steel wire or something
non-conductive? If non-conductive you might be able to do some creative
wiring to make the mast (aluminum?) serve as the antenna -- though the
effect of heeling over may be counterproctive.

Good Luck,
DoN.

True indeed. However I see the 8' antenna mounts being solid mounted.

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

First -- do you have a license? If not, are you ready to go
through the licensing process?

No. Not for marine band.

O.K. I had not looked at that band before.

I just (yesterday) went through the process of getting tested
for a ham license -- and passed all three, so I am now an Extra class
amateur, but waiting for the FCC to put up my call sign on their web
site.

Bravo!!

FWIW, my call was posted this morning, I am KV4PH.

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

How big is the sailboat? If you are moving it from lake to lake
on a trailer, it is probably not large enough to provide a safe dry
place for the radio, so a handheld might be the best bet there.

Its 21 feet long. Big enough to sleep 4.

O.K. That should be sufficient to provide safe storage for a
somewhat larger rig -- though the little handhelds you are looking at on
eBay may be quite sufficient for the size of the lake.

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

For a handheld -- bring along as many pre-charged replacement
batteries as needed for your expected time out there, plus one. Assume
that you will have it just listening most of the time, but if you have
trouble, you may need to transmit a lot more than would normally be the
case. Keep the handheld and the batteries in sealed ZipLoc baggies.
This means a longer baggie for the radio with its antenna.

Makes sense.

And keeps the water splashes off. (More of a problem in salt
water, of course.)

[...]

O.K. But is anyone using it on the water? An 18-wheeler on
land won't be much help if you have problems on the lakes.

.but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Size of craft? Handheld is my first suggestion, until I know
whether there is enough space to mount it where it is protected from the
water.

21 foot.

Enough room. I would be tempted (assuming a centerboard, so you
would not be moving down the center belowdecks), mounting one of the
bigger ones to the underside of the deck where the hatch cover slides
over it. Of course, be careful that your mounting does not leak.

Are the stays (stainless) steel wire or something
non-conductive? If non-conductive you might be able to do some creative
wiring to make the mast (aluminum?) serve as the antenna -- though the
effect of heeling over may be counterproctive.

[ ... ]

True indeed. However I see the 8' antenna mounts being solid mounted.

Yes, an adjustable one would be an intersting thing to sell.
(Not sure just how bad the fading from heeling might be.) Something
operated by a pendulum inside below the base of the mast might work
well. Probably add a damper of some sort for when the waves just happen
to hit resonance. :-)

But -- with the handhelds you are looking at (other thread
branch), you know where the horizon is, and can tilt it in your hand to
keep the antenna pattern reasonable.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Handhelds are used commonly in salt water here, by small boats. It all
depends on how much distance you have to cover. If Gunner is going out
to blue water in his little 21 footer (unlikely) then he'll need
something more. Prayer would help, too. g

If he's sailing coastwise or in bays in a populated area with lots of
shore stations, probably not.

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Call and ask.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:

snip

FWIW, my call was posted this morning, I am KV4PH.

Good Luck,
DoN.

snip

Congratulations, DoN! That's on my (interminable) list of things to
do.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-14, Gunner Asch wrote:

snip

FWIW, my call was posted this morning, I am KV4PH.

[ ... ]

Congratulations, DoN! That's on my (interminable) list of things to
do.

Thanks. it was on my similar list -- until last hamfest I won a
nice little Yeasu 2-meter handheld as a door prize, so I suddenly needed
a ticket to be able to use it for anything other than listening. :-)
That moved it up in priority. I started taking the practice test for
Technician, and found it pretty easy (and learned things from the ones I
got wrong), so I tried the General, and after a little while decided
that it was also a doable thing, so I tried the Extra, and while I was
less certain about it, I felt that I had a very good chance for anything
but a particularly bad (for me) clustering of the 35 questions from the
474 question pool. :-) As it worked out, I got an unusually easy one
there -- no sweat at all. I expect that I got some wrong, but got
enough right to get the license. I almost feel guilty with that easy a
test. :-)

Go to hamfests with a higher admission cost. This one had a
$10.00 one instead of the usual $5.00 cost, so the door prizes were
better.

Now -- I have to worry about buying more things at hamfests, the
things which I have been skipping because I could not use them fully
without a ticket. (I wanted a particular good receiver, but most of
them came attached to transmitters, and I didn't want the chance of
accidentally hitting the wrong button and breaking the law. :-)

Now I need to learn code to use some of the bands properly.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

Nah. If anything, you could take a portable megaphone and LOUDLY yell
for help if you needed it.

--
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
succeed is more important than any one thing.
-- Abraham Lincoln

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

Nah. If anything, you could take a portable megaphone and LOUDLY yell
for help if you needed it.

Some on the group don't need a megaphone. We call them LIBERALS!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2013 5:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

No, not at all.
In fact, few inland waterways monitor VHF any more.
Use a cell phone.

If you really want to sound and look nautical, get a hand-held VHF.
All the cool kids have them.

Then learn proper marine radio procedures.
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
Using it like a CB will probably get you boarded.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 00:00:45 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 7/14/2013 5:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

No, not at all.
In fact, few inland waterways monitor VHF any more.
Use a cell phone.

If you really want to sound and look nautical, get a hand-held VHF.
All the cool kids have them.

Then learn proper marine radio procedures.
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
Using it like a CB will probably get you boarded.

I dont even use a CB like a CB

Gunner, once K8LJS

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

If you really want to sound and look nautical, get a hand-held VHF.
All the cool kids have them.

Then learn proper marine radio procedures.
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtBoater
Using it like a CB will probably get you boarded.

That's ONE way to get help! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

No requirement for pleasure craft to have one but they can come in
handy. No license required for them when used on a boat either.

The chances of going out on the ocean are there..but not real high.
The guys that I used to hang with in the 90s who sailed all the time
had em, but is it something I really need? I want one of
course..."ohhh...lights, antennas, wires..cool ****!"

Falls under the "who has the most toys" heading.

Most of my sailing will be on Californias inland lakes and reservoirs.
I dont even know if the State patrol boats on those lakes monitor
marine band. Same with CB..

Any hints, ideas, suggestions etc etc would be appreciated. Antenna
mountings, powering them from what sort of battery and Solar cell..etc
etc

If you're out alone I would opt for a good portable, spare batteries or
pack sealed in a pelican case and tether the radio to yourself. The best
radio in the world isn't going to be any good if it's attached to the
boat on the lake bed... I would also install a good mounted radio on
the boat, mast mount the antenna and solar/wind to charge a AGM battery
to power it.

Anyone have a used marine radio for swap/trade?

Best way to mount an antenna on a sailboat? Mast, railing, hull?
Does a mast make a groundplane? (sorry..stroke effect.... I just
found..cant remember **** about ground plane technicals)

Most marine antennas these days are vertical dipoles.

[...]

Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 06:12:28 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

All good advice. Thanks!

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:15:48 PM UTC-5, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Just how HUGE is our boat?
How are you going to fit the Marine Band on it?

That's a lot of polished brass......
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 09:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Cross-Slide
wrote:

[...]

ROFLMAO!!

Indeed!

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cross-Slide wrote:

Just how HUGE is our boat?
How are you going to fit the Marine Band on it?

He's only taking the female members...

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/14/2013 6:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

How else can you call for the Pizza Boat?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:24:07 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Ooooh! Id forgotten about the Pizza Boat!!!

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/18/2013 2:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Yep! Girls in bikinis with hot pizza, cold beer and a warm smile!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-18, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 7/18/2013 2:45 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 00:24:07 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 7/14/2013 6:15 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ill be fixing up my old sailboat in the next few months, so I can take
it on the local lake(s) and get some out on the water time...get the
dust and swarf cleaned out of my skull with some quality water time.

Radios...Ive never owned a VHF marine band two way radio. Do I need
one?

[ ... ]

Im ass deep in old CBs that still work, might stick one of those in
the boat..but the Marine radios are cheap enough on Ebay...so was
wondering. Handheld? Mobile 12vt mounted unit?

Help!
(Grin)

Gunner

How else can you call for the Pizza Boat?

Ooooh! Id forgotten about the Pizza Boat!!!

Pizza boat on the lakes, or out in the ocean?

Do they listen to Marine band, CB, or cell phones?

Yep! Girls in bikinis with hot pizza, cold beer and a warm smile!

Sounds like a nice combination.

Sure never experienced that on the Chesapeake (sort of half-way
between freshwater lakes and salt water. Enough salt brought in by
tidal operation to make it about half salty.

We welcomed the heavy rains inland which resulted in the bay
getting fresher. The real benefit from that is that it reduced the
count of "sea nettles" (rather nasty jellyfish -- not as bad as a
Portugese Man-o-War, but still quite uncomfortable to encounter
swimming, or even when paddling a kayak and the up-side paddle blade
brings up a tentacle or two and drapes it over your arm, which starts
burning. :-)

Early in the season, they are sort of ghostly blobs. Late in
the season, they develop sort of red and ghostly alterating wedges like
the panels in an umbrella. :-) The better to spot the ones near the
surface at least. You do *not* want to dive in deep in the late season.

Enjoy,
DoN.