Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Knife Making

I thought knife making would be an interesting metalworking topic. I mean
we got tools, quality metalworking, steels, heat treating, forging, and on
and on.

So if I get my shop building and have more convenient access to my
equipment, I'd like to make some quality knives. For one, I want a blade of
D2 because I hear it's almost stainless but holds an edge real well.

So if I could come up with a nice folding knife locking mechanism I could
design in CAD and machine with the CNC, I could use that design to make an
assortment of blade styles and handle styles.

One thing I noticed about knife making is that you can get a lot of money
tied up in equipment, and I always like the idea of getting more equipment
but not spending lots of dollars. I thought I could make a knife makers
grinder by using tubing in the Reese hitch size ranges, maybe using
polyurethane wheels ground true for contact wheels.

The heat treating furnaces are quite high too. Maybe get some kiln
firebrick and heat elements, fabricate a frame to hold the bricks, and use
an industrial ramping temperature controller with a solid sate relay for
temperature control. Then I can set it to soak, ramp to temperature, hold,
then switch to tempering temperature. Also it seems one of the controllers
would be great at annealing, heat, soak, let it cool at specified rate at
the critical temperatures.

Anyone here do any knife making?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Both stock removal and forging. Which way do you want to go?

Heat treating isn't all that hard with modern materials and known
alloys. It's learning how to treat the various areas of the blade to
keep the finished blade from becoming a mess that's the hard part.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 9, 9:12*am, "RogerN" wrote:
[...]

There's a book out by an editor of Blade magazine called "The $50
Knife Shop" or some such. Probably would be $100 now. Guy has some
funny ideas about metallurgy and what goes on with hardening and
tempering, but his shop ideas are sound. Has things like how to set
up a smithing outfit, makeshift hardening setups, not so makeshift
furnaces, build belt grinders( worth the price right there) from skate
wheels or shopping cart casters, anvils and the various bits and bobs
needed. Basically taking scrap and building a shop.

If you do differential hardening, your fancy precision controlled
furnace isn't going to be much good. The Master's test for a blade is
to be able to put it in a vise and bend it 90 degrees without it
either breaking or taking a set. He shows how to do that.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
I thought knife making would be an interesting metalworking topic. I mean
we got tools, quality metalworking, steels, heat treating, forging, and on
and on.

So if I get my shop building and have more convenient access to my
equipment, I'd like to make some quality knives. For one, I want a blade of
D2 because I hear it's almost stainless but holds an edge real well.

It is not almost stainless, it rusts.

So if I could come up with a nice folding knife locking mechanism I could
design in CAD and machine with the CNC, I could use that design to make an
assortment of blade styles and handle styles.

One thing I noticed about knife making is that you can get a lot of money
tied up in equipment, and I always like the idea of getting more equipment
but not spending lots of dollars. I thought I could make a knife makers
grinder by using tubing in the Reese hitch size ranges, maybe using
polyurethane wheels ground true for contact wheels.

I do not believe that there is any money to be made by knife making.

The heat treating furnaces are quite high too. Maybe get some kiln
firebrick and heat elements, fabricate a frame to hold the bricks, and use
an industrial ramping temperature controller with a solid sate relay for
temperature control. Then I can set it to soak, ramp to temperature, hold,
then switch to tempering temperature. Also it seems one of the controllers
would be great at annealing, heat, soak, let it cool at specified rate at
the critical temperatures.

Anyone here do any knife making?

I do not and do not plan to. Seems like everyone wants to be making
knives.

But the equipment, you can get on the cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Forget the D2 for a while.
It requires 1900 deg for hardening. That is 400 deg higher than O1.
It also has a machinability of only 65 and grinding it is even tougher.
Besides, stainless is overrated. That is why there is oil.

Cobble together a decent beltgrinder and start with sheath knives in O1.
When you get that running smooth, try some folders.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
I thought knife making would be an interesting metalworking topic. I
mean
we got tools, quality metalworking, steels, heat treating, forging, and
on
and on.

So if I get my shop building and have more convenient access to my
equipment, I'd like to make some quality knives. For one, I want a blade
of
D2 because I hear it's almost stainless but holds an edge real well.

It is not almost stainless, it rusts.

That's why I said almost, if it didn't rust it wouldn't be almost.

http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalNo...rial_chart.htm
D2 This air hardened tool steel is sometimes called a "semi-stainless"
steel, because it contains 12% chromium. It offers decent corrosion
resistance with exceptional edge retention. It is harder to sharpen than
most, but can be finished to a high-polish shine.

http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/...lade_steel.php
D2
This material is a very high carbon steel (1.5%) that has superb edge
holding ability and unmatched wear resistance, but lacks toughness. It is
not as corrosion resistant as 440C or ATS-34, and is not considered a
stainless steel because it only has 12% chrome. Stainless blades have 13% or
more.

One thing I noticed about knife making is that you can get a lot of money
tied up in equipment, and I always like the idea of getting more
equipment
but not spending lots of dollars. I thought I could make a knife makers
grinder by using tubing in the Reese hitch size ranges, maybe using
polyurethane wheels ground true for contact wheels.

I do not believe that there is any money to be made by knife making.

I agree, I just want to make them for myself or maybe gifts, not for making
money.

The heat treating furnaces are quite high too. Maybe get some kiln
firebrick and heat elements, fabricate a frame to hold the bricks, and
use
an industrial ramping temperature controller with a solid sate relay for
temperature control. Then I can set it to soak, ramp to temperature,
hold,
then switch to tempering temperature. Also it seems one of the
controllers
would be great at annealing, heat, soak, let it cool at specified rate at
the critical temperatures.

Anyone here do any knife making?

I do not and do not plan to. Seems like everyone wants to be making
knives.

But the equipment, you can get on the cheap.

I don't guess you have any small, shippable, heat treating kilns/furnaces?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013 10:12:56 -0500, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Gunner raises his hand.

You get an oven...drop me an email and Ill send you a present.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...2602/HeatTreat

Got a number of controls that work nicely. Works best with electric,
will work with gas.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

It rusts almost as bad as regular steel.

One thing I noticed about knife making is that you can get a lot of money
tied up in equipment, and I always like the idea of getting more
equipment
but not spending lots of dollars. I thought I could make a knife makers
grinder by using tubing in the Reese hitch size ranges, maybe using
polyurethane wheels ground true for contact wheels.

I do not believe that there is any money to be made by knife making.

I agree, I just want to make them for myself or maybe gifts, not for making
money.

Great idea. You need a 1 inch belt sander and a HT oven, you have a
mill already.

The heat treating furnaces are quite high too. Maybe get some kiln
firebrick and heat elements, fabricate a frame to hold the bricks, and
use
an industrial ramping temperature controller with a solid sate relay for
temperature control. Then I can set it to soak, ramp to temperature,
hold,
then switch to tempering temperature. Also it seems one of the
controllers
would be great at annealing, heat, soak, let it cool at specified rate at
the critical temperatures.

Anyone here do any knife making?

I do not and do not plan to. Seems like everyone wants to be making
knives.

But the equipment, you can get on the cheap.

I don't guess you have any small, shippable, heat treating kilns/furnaces?

RogerN

I have one small one, but it will have to go by freight. Freight cost
to BUSINESS in your area, with forklift, that takes a semi truck, is
$100. $100 more to a house. I will need to test it first and it is
subject to verification.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

While on the subject of freight cost, do you know what your freight
costs would be to get something like that to the Central Freight
terminal in Sherman, TX? I know residential is always big $, but I've
got that freight terminal nearby where I could pickup from. And yes, I'm
interested in a heat treat oven as well, especially now that I have a
surface grinder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Do you have any good sites or books for reference for my upcoming
switchblade project?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

$150 to terminal. $100 more to a house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Good to know, so if you find a good heat treat oven, small CNC lathe,
etc. that I need it won't necessarily be too expensive to ship.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

I have really great shipping rates.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20041 fired this volley in
:

I have really great shipping rates.

Yep, even on bulky stuff.
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Maybe have a look in your area for 2nd hand ceramic kilns as they make a
good heat treatment furnace in my experience. I have a small Gallenkamp
heat treatment furnace which is used for small stuff and enamelling but
doesn't currently have a PID controller. My main kiln is an 18" top
loader that I use for normalising etc and I have a PID controller for
that and it works well. The elements are a bit tired so it'll only just
get to 1200C on a good day, not the 1300C it would originally do, but
that is normally only needed for firing refractory castable items to
working temps not heat treatment so it's fine.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:

Both stock removal and forging. Which way do you want to go?

Heat treating isn't all that hard with modern materials and known
alloys. It's learning how to treat the various areas of the blade to
keep the finished blade from becoming a mess that's the hard part.

--
Steve W.

Do you have any good sites or books for reference for my upcoming
switchblade project?

Some stuff

Sites:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/index.php

http://makingcustomknives.com/

http://www.dfoggknives.com/index.htm

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/

Books:

Master Bladesmith : Advanced Studies in Steel (one of THE best books on
the topic)

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ooks-on-Google

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 18:13:18 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2013-06-09, RogerN wrote:
[...]

Just keep in mind that the ovens are filled with a very fragile
firebrick or compound..and the heating wires are very fragile once its
been used a couple times. So they CANNOT be banged around much.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:52:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

RogerN wrote:
[...]

Send me an email address that will allow large files to be
downloaded. Ive got a LOT of knife making data in ebook formats

Or I could put em on a DVD I suppose...shrug.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Set up a google drive or skydrive account and stick them there.
Gdrive is 5 gig free
skydrive is 7 gig free

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

My email server has no attachment size limits, anything you can send it
will accept.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

Updated email in the header
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

I do have a google drive as a matter of fact..Ill put them up there as
soon as I get done downloading the lathes.uk site. Its been 19 hours
so far and I think Im at 1.6 gigabytes.

probably another 8 hrs or so.
'
24.5kb/sec

I love WinHTtrack!!

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 21:15:11 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
[...]

got it.

Ill see what I can send you over the next week or so.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

And yes, I'm
interested in a heat treat oven as well, especially now that I have
surface grinder.

I've sharpened woodworking blades on a surface grinder. They burn very
easily unless I take off only a few ten-thousandths per pass. The mag
chuck won't grip rough work until it has been milled flat and
straight, and it's difficult to hold and support the blade securely
enough over its full length at an angle.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:54:29 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

And yes, I'm
interested in a heat treat oven as well, especially now that I have
surface grinder.

I've sharpened woodworking blades on a surface grinder. They burn very
easily unless I take off only a few ten-thousandths per pass. The mag
chuck won't grip rough work until it has been milled flat and
straight, and it's difficult to hold and support the blade securely
enough over its full length at an angle.
jsw

When I had access to a quality surface grinder, I used it to sharpen
the D2 blades from my 6" jointer. It worked great but I still had to
hone them by hand afterwards.

I've also tried it on carbon-steel plane irons. It's very difficult to
keep them from burning because they're probably tempered at around 350
deg. F at the factory.

--
Ed Huntress

Knife Making Jim L. Metalworking 0 September 30th 12 02:40 PM
looking for a knife nefletch Home Repair 16 January 29th 11 09:14 PM
Columbia River Knife and Tool's M16-14SFG Special Forces Folding Veff Serrated Blade Knife [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 11:21 AM
Kitchen knife block or wall-mounted knife holder design Owen Lawrence Woodworking 12 July 29th 06 07:34 PM
KNIFE J T Woodworking 2 November 2nd 05 04:43 PM