Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Knife Making

On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 21:15:11 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jun 2013 16:52:01 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

"Steve W." wrote:
RogerN wrote:
I thought knife making would be an interesting metalworking topic. I mean
we got tools, quality metalworking, steels, heat treating, forging, and on
and on.

So if I get my shop building and have more convenient access to my
equipment, I'd like to make some quality knives. For one, I want a blade of
D2 because I hear it's almost stainless but holds an edge real well.

So if I could come up with a nice folding knife locking mechanism I could
design in CAD and machine with the CNC, I could use that design to make an
assortment of blade styles and handle styles.

One thing I noticed about knife making is that you can get a lot of money
tied up in equipment, and I always like the idea of getting more equipment
but not spending lots of dollars. I thought I could make a knife makers
grinder by using tubing in the Reese hitch size ranges, maybe using
polyurethane wheels ground true for contact wheels.

The heat treating furnaces are quite high too. Maybe get some kiln
firebrick and heat elements, fabricate a frame to hold the bricks, and use
an industrial ramping temperature controller with a solid sate relay for
temperature control. Then I can set it to soak, ramp to temperature, hold,
then switch to tempering temperature. Also it seems one of the controllers
would be great at annealing, heat, soak, let it cool at specified rate at
the critical temperatures.

Anyone here do any knife making?

RogerN

Both stock removal and forging. Which way do you want to go?

Heat treating isn't all that hard with modern materials and known
alloys. It's learning how to treat the various areas of the blade to
keep the finished blade from becoming a mess that's the hard part.

--
Steve W.
Do you have any good sites or books for reference for my upcoming

Send me an email address that will allow large files to be
downloaded. Ive got a LOT of knife making data in ebook formats

Or I could put em on a DVD I suppose...shrug.

Gunner

Set up a google drive or skydrive account and stick them there.
Gdrive is 5 gig free
skydrive is 7 gig free

--
Steve W.

My email server has no attachment size limits, anything you can send it
will accept.

Updated email in the header

got it.

Ill see what I can send you over the next week or so.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."