Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Endless lathe chips (re-adjusted the clutch on a Clausing 6913 lathe)

In article ,
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote:

The best stuff is called Barge cement. It's alike pliobond, but a lot better
on leather. It is what shoe makers use to attach soles.

It's also pretty similar to rubber cement, used in the "contact cement"
mode (apply, dry, and stick.) At least 20 year old memories say so.

Either of those is pretty easy to find and might work well enough if you
are not going with metal lacing (which is what I prefer, since it can be
undone.) You may also want to actually lace (the leather version from
which the metal version takes it's name) the joint as well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:23:39 -0400
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip
I'll probably wind up calling some adhesives expert. Cripes, I used to
write long articles about adhesive assembly, but the adhesives I know
about are almost as old as hide glue.

I'll second the plug for Barge. They have several products that may
work. See:

http://www.quabaug.com/barge-adhesives.html

link to a brochu

http://www.quabaug.com/uploads/6/4/8...e_brochure.pdf

It seems to me that I found some sellers at Amazon. Otherwise try shoe
repair suppliers. You might try talking to them directly. With your
background you might be able to score some samples to evaluate

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Ed,

Up here, I'd look in the Yellow Pages under

"Power Transmission Equipment"

or maybe

"Industrial Supply"

and ask them for what you need.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:29:17 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Ed,

How is Jim doing? His name gets in my thoughts every so often 'cause
I miss him here. Good guy. I know why he isn't here, and that is
really too bad for us.

Please say "Hi !!!" from me.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario (Used to be Windsor, Ontario when Jim was still
here)

I haven't been in touch with him for a long while, Brian, but I must
do so. I'm making a note now to say hi from you when I do.

Last I heard, he was doing great.

--
Ed Huntress

Please include me in your greetings for Jim. He's a good guy----with a lot
of wisdom.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:23:49 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Hey Ed,

How is Jim doing? His name gets in my thoughts every so often 'cause
I miss him here. Good guy. I know why he isn't here, and that is
really too bad for us.

Please say "Hi !!!" from me.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario (Used to be Windsor, Ontario when Jim was still
here)

I haven't been in touch with him for a long while, Brian, but I must
do so. I'm making a note now to say hi from you when I do.

Last I heard, he was doing great.

--
Ed Huntress

Please include me in your greetings for Jim. He's a good guy----with a lot
of wisdom.

Harold

OK, 'got you on the list.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message

I have used Gorilla glue on my lathe belt and it is still working
fine 10+ years later.
I think that, although the dried glue is fairly rigid, it is able to
fracture into a series of narrow rigid joints that roll around the
pulleys like tank treads

I worked in an industrial leather belt factory after school hours. The
belt splicing glue they used was colorless and smelled of acetone,
like Duco.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:51:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

OK, 'got you on the list.

Oh no! Now Ed has a list, too? Before ya know it, everyone's gonna have one, and who's gonna keep track of who's on whose list?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 15:15:12 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

Hey Ed,

Up here, I'd look in the Yellow Pages under

"Power Transmission Equipment"

or maybe

"Industrial Supply"

and ask them for what you need.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Several years ago,I bought a replacement belt for my SB"A" for
something like $9.00. Last year I went to order another but declined
to pay the $175.00 quoted. When I find that round "TUIT" that SWMBO
gave me, I will pull the spindle and instal the serpentine belt I
picked up for $1.00 at the re-store.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hey Ed,

How is Jim doing? His name gets in my thoughts every so often 'cause
I miss him here. Good guy. I know why he isn't here, and that is
really too bad for us.

Please say "Hi !!!" from me.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario (Used to be Windsor, Ontario when Jim was still
here)

I haven't been in touch with him for a long while, Brian, but I must
do so. I'm making a note now to say hi from you when I do.

Last I heard, he was doing great.

--
Ed Huntress

Please include me in your greetings for Jim. He's a good guy----with a lot
of wisdom.

Harold

Same here!

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 16:54:26 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:51:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

OK, 'got you on the list.

Oh no! Now Ed has a list, too? Before ya know it, everyone's gonna have one, and who's gonna keep track of who's on whose list?

But this is a goooood list. Like a Christmas list.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:44:19 -0400,
wrote:

---------
Several years ago,I bought a replacement belt for my SB"A" for
something like $9.00. Last year I went to order another but declined
to pay the $175.00 quoted. When I find that round "TUIT" that SWMBO
gave me, I will pull the spindle and instal the serpentine belt I
picked up for $1.00 at the re-store.

----------

would any of these work?

http://www.fennerdrives.com/product-...F r7Aod_wkAnw

http://www.harborfreight.com/vibrati...elt-43771.html

also see
http://shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18326
snip
For the most part, likely the easiest and best way, go to a
farm supply store, and you'll need two things. Clips for
flat belting is often called alligator lacing, and it is
used on the belting for round balers. There are two types, a
'hammer lock' that simply requires a hammer and flat
surface, and a second, that requires a jig to close.

For belting, a lot of guys are using the rubber belts from
round balers. Most of these are anywhere from 4-8" wide, but
can be cut with a sharp knife, straight edge, and spray it
with some WD-40 so the blade slides through easier. I know
the local TSC sells the belting by the foot, so if you
figure the length you need, and can buy it just that length,
you'll have enough for several belts.....easily enough to
last you!!
snip
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...in-belt-lacing
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...in-belt-lacing

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Ok, you're on the list. If some guy named Nunzio shows up at your door
some night, it just means I put you on the wrong list...

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Chuckle!

Double check! Gunner's a good guy, too, in spite of his detractors.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

Tell Nunzio to wear a trauma plate. I reload and I have a machine
shop. Its interesting what sort of rounds one can make up when one
has time on his hands.

Though I do tend to shoot for the head on B70 targets

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

---------
[...]

Thanks, I'll give TSC a try
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-22, Ed Huntress wrote:
On 22 May 2013 03:17:53 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-05-21, John B slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 10:34:30 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Right now, I'm not machining anything. I have to replace the belt on
my machine. Jim Rozen gave me some belt material but now I have to
decide how to join it. Do you have any glue recommendations? I can
make a clean scarf with no problem.

Wasn't there a recent thread about joining flat belts?

[ ... ]

And -- you can also lace them with leather and a bunch of holes.
The leather on the pulley side runs parallel to the belt edges, and that
on the other side runs diagonally between rows of holes. An old South
Bend _How to Run a Lathe_ manual used to cover that.

[ ... ]

Yeah, that's my other option. You have to cut relief grooves in the
belt with a woodcarver's gouge, but it looks doable.

I did it for a 1" belt (and not much power through it -- a small
benchtop machine) using gimp -- the fabric core plastic lacing. It is
flat enough so you do not need grooves. You might need more parallel
laces, depending on the torque to be transmitted.

Skiving, though, is easier for me. So I'm going to try gluing.

O.K. Good Luck with it. (Probably already done, I've been busy
the past few days. :-)
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564