Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Darex E-90, to Precision Machinist

I hate to do this. It shrinks my dick.

PM, you were right about the Darex E-90. I've owned it for a year or so.
I've used it just often enough to become capable (but hardly proficient)
in its use.

Most of the time, my TIME is worth enough that when I need a new cutter,
I just order one. The only times the Darex has proven its worth is when
the last cutter of a particular size has gotten dull or chipped, and I
needed it ASAP (because I'm far enough out in the boons to have to order-
out for everything).

It works _really_well_, and I don't regret having it. But you were
completely correct about its general usefulness in a working shop. I
think it's a better tool for an amateur who doesn't have time pressures.
But then, it's a little costy for that; no?

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 1:20*pm, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
I hate to do this. *It shrinks my dick.

PM, you were right about the Darex E-90. *I've owned it for a year or so.
I've used it just often enough to become capable (but hardly proficient)
in its use.

Most of the time, my TIME is worth enough that when I need a new cutter,
I just order one. *The only times the Darex has proven its worth is when
the last cutter of a particular size has gotten dull or chipped, and I
needed it ASAP (because I'm far enough out in the boons to have to order-
out for everything).

It works _really_well_, and I don't regret having it. *But you were
completely correct about its general usefulness in a working shop. *I
think it's a better tool for an amateur who doesn't have time pressures.
But then, it's a little costy for that; no?

LLoyd

It's a very valuable tool when you need to get the job done and it's
after hours / a weekend / a holiday.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 1:24*pm, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

If you look at this this way (and I do) it's an invaluable tool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
I hate to do this. It shrinks my dick.

PM, you were right about the Darex E-90. I've owned it for a year or so.
I've used it just often enough to become capable (but hardly proficient)
in its use.

Most of the time, my TIME is worth enough that when I need a new cutter,
I just order one. The only times the Darex has proven its worth is when
the last cutter of a particular size has gotten dull or chipped, and I
needed it ASAP (because I'm far enough out in the boons to have to order-
out for everything).

It works _really_well_, and I don't regret having it. But you were
completely correct about its general usefulness in a working shop. I
think it's a better tool for an amateur who doesn't have time pressures.
But then, it's a little costy for that; no?

They're still a very handy tool, Lloyd, and it should serve you well especially when it concerns tools over say, 1/2in or so in diameter and where the surface finish is not overly critical...this is especially true if you don't have a grind shop nearby.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
:

.this is especially true if you don't have a grind shop nearby.

Yup, and two things:
1) the cost of big cutters is enough to justify the time, and
2) I don't have _any_ kind of _any_ decent suppliers nearby. Ace
Hardware, 11 miles away, (which is pretty well-stocked with welding
supplies) comes as close as anything. G

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in message . 3.70...
"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
:

.this is especially true if you don't have a grind shop nearby.

Yup, and two things:
1) the cost of big cutters is enough to justify the time, and
2) I don't have _any_ kind of _any_ decent suppliers nearby. Ace
Hardware, 11 miles away, (which is pretty well-stocked with welding
supplies) comes as close as anything. G

I'm pretty much in the same boat, with downtown Portland, OR being about 40 miles south.

I really need to stay on top of things lest I wind up having to buy from McMaster which although their service is second to none, is pricey.