Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Car guys? 1996 BMW 520

Ive been offered a 1996 BMW 520i with 108k on the odo in trade for my
old Mazda/Ranger 3.0

Supposedly..there is an "issue" with the tranny linkage. The engine is
supposed to run fine. Ive not seen it as of yet.

Just wondering what you folks think about that particular vehicle and
how desirable it is. My wifes 1997 Saturn now has 254,000 miles on
it..and while it still runs..and actually passed California smog a few
months ago...is getting really...really tired.

Ive been asking $600 for the Mazda...the body has 440,000 miles on it,
with the third engine in it. It wouldnt pass smog in 2009, so I
bought the current Ranger as I needed a vehicle Now!. IM sure the
only thing wrong with it...is a burned out cat. Shrug. Ran quite
nicely when I parked it 3 yrs ago.

Anyway...I know dick about BMW automobiles. Is this a decent
car..assuming its in good condition..or is it a money pit?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 15, 4:25*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Very good vehicle but parts are expensive and you have to know where
to buy them. BMW makes some of the best power train components in the
world. The car is not a "money pit" if it's been well cared for but
when it does break it's expensive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:25:48 -0700, the renowned Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

My best guess it that it should be reasonable if you can do your own
work, but check around the forums.

It's an E34 chassis with an M50 motor.

eg. http://forums.bimmerforums.com
http://www.bmwe34.net/

Parts should be available from autohausaz.com, pelican, and from
online dealers such as http://getbmwparts.com/,
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/ or if you're into getting reamed
thoroughly, your local dealer.

also see http://realoem.com/bmw/

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:25:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

The 520i is the mid range model, at least overt here, and is quite
prestigious to own (but down a notch from the Mercedes :-). I owned an
older model for a bit and found it very expensive to repair due to
parts costs being much higher than other makes here.

The "pecking order" can be determined by how a hotel doorman reacts
when you drive in. If he ignores you then you are likely driving a
Toyota. If he saunters over and opens the door you likely have a BMW,
but if he runs over, opens the door and bows then it is a Mercedes :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Isn't a Bimmer made that isn't a money pit. If you have to ask what
it costs you can't afford it. Not saying they are a bad car - but a
cheap car to own they most definitely are NOT. Might fare better in
the desert than they do here - but a 17 year old Bimmer here is
considered a "hobby" car.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Well built car. Solid and dependable. Parts are usually $$$ though.
BUT as a trade for a 3.0 POS I'd do it in a heartbeat. Worst case would
be that you part it out on 'bay or similar.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Of course Id be doing my own repairs. Shrug. They cant be all that
different from Toyotas. Parts..can they be found outside of dealers
shelves?

My neighbors truck was made in 1937...so yah..the desert is easier on
them

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:34:37 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Thats kinda what I was thinking. That Mazda has sat in my side yard
since 2009. Ive put a bunch of for sale signs on it over the past 3
yrs..but all I get are people wanting to scrap it or illegals who want
to give me frejoles and $300 and dont worry about the tags..they wont
register it anyways.

I LOVe that old bitch...Ive written about her many times over the
years, back in the early 2000s. Hell..I remember talking bout it just
hitting 109k in one of the posts

But...unless I fix her back up..which I purely cannot do at the
moment....shrug

I still have that big ass van down in So Cal..that E350 Id forgotten
Id owned after I had the stroke..the one with the Commercial tags on
it that expired while I was on the operating table in January 2009

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Van

California..really sucks when getting a vehicle reregistered after its
sat for 4 yrs without a non-op on it. About $600 to put tags on it

And when I checked it last week..3 of the 4 tires had blown out.
Course they were installed on it in 1990....shrug

Its only got less than 14,000 actual miles on it. But the gas
mileage...cringe

Im picking up 4 used tires for $100 tommorow and taking them back
south to install on the van, so I can have one of the roommates drive
it home for me and get it out of my buddies shop side lot.

So I really need the Mazda/Ranger gone..so I can plant the van where
it sits....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't see too many cars upside down on the freeway, but out of the
last 3 I saw in when I lived in CA, two were BMW "sports" sedans. I
wouldn't _own_ a BMW, let alone pay for one.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/15/2013 4:25 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been offered a 1996 BMW 520i with 108k on the odo in trade for my
old Mazda/Ranger 3.0

Supposedly..there is an "issue" with the tranny linkage. The engine is
supposed to run fine. Ive not seen it as of yet.

Just wondering what you folks think about that particular vehicle and
how desirable it is. My wifes 1997 Saturn now has 254,000 miles on
it

You don't have a wife:

Ive had to take care of a sickly ex wife, my own expenses and Im
feeding and sheltering another couple who lost their jobs and
their home 18 months ago. I managed to take care of some issues
she had, and get him graduated (Saturday) from the England truck
driving school, so with a bit of luck, he will be paying me back
and she will be finding a job.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.m...939a90bbf0b95a

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:14:48 -0700, Jack Carlson
wrote:

[...]

That must be a different Gunner. This one says "Ive been married to
the same woman since 1975"
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...b03648c38ec69b

But this one says "My ex"
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...0aa7f4879ea7dc

Apparently there are many Gunners posting here. Is the one you're
quoting making $75 an hour and attending black tie dinners? Or is he
the one that sometimes lives on dumpster food?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wieber do you ever stop lying?

Explain to this group why your Ford Ranger pickup truck had to be
repaired by a friend? You whined and complained you had no
transportation and that it was taking way too long.

Now you want to own a BMW? What makes a lying ****bag like you think
that you can fix a BMW when you can't even fix your Ford Ranger pickup
truck?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 16, 8:14*am, Jack Carlson wrote:
[...]

Another Pimple sock puppet exposed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

This was posted by Mark Wieber in a thread he started called "Ford
Ranger Question".

When you can't figure out the firing order of a Ford Ranger on your
own you have no business thinking you can fix a BWM:

"Ive just finished putting a low mileage 3.0 in my 2001 Ranger
(225,000
miles). The current engine came out of a 2003, and has 75k miles on
it.
After ****ing around for a week, unable to start it, a friend changed
the spark plug wires around (seems most of the online diagrams are
WRONG) and it started right up. However..when adding throttle over
about 1500 rmp..it starts to lope...vroom...vroom...vroom...vroom

What the hell is it and how do I fix it?

I stuck on the original intake manifold after drilling and taping
holes
(properly) to use the original intake. Im NOT getting a check engine
light and my code reader is isnt showing any codes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Gunner"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:14:48 -0700
From: Jack Carlson
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Car guys? 1996 BMW 520

[...]

What..you missed that she came back..and brought my son, the daugther
in law and the 3 kids? The third one was born last Tuesday

You just got free on that pesky pysch hold again?

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:14:48 -0700
From: Jack Carlson
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

That you took her back again shows you never learn, Wieber. How soon
before you start posting she's cheating on you again? Will you be
taking her to the swingers parties you love to brag about to show her
your obsession with "cold cock" in the ass?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not sure how they are now, but those Krauts built them "different"
back in the seventies. On a 2002 (model, not year) the cam came out of
the back of the head - so you HAD to remove the head to do anything
with the cam - and also lifters IIRC. Unlike the Torota with
removeable bearing caps. Lots of other things where there is no
thought to making them repairable, much less easily repairable. Doncha
know those Bavarian Elves make 'em so good they never break or wear
out???? Those cars are made for bald men - they can't tear their hair
out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What Claire conveniently forgets to mention (what else is new) is that
the BWM 2002 M10 engine block was so strong and so durable that it
made well over 1200 HP in an F1 race car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-4sSoXlaM