Ruben

Default 1996 Chevrolet Malibu

Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition
Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now
it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a
week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I
also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical
to re-configure, but nothing.
If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to
take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

jw

Ruben wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition
Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now
it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a
week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I
also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical
to re-configure, but nothing.
If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to
take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

Most likely it is a ECM function and there is not anything physical
that you can do to prevent it. It is a bus message from "whatever" and
the ECM is being told that it is in "theft mode".

I suspect the key chip has lost it's code, so until you get that fixed
it will continue to do this. It will require going to the dealer and
forking over a pile of money for a 30 second job to reflash your
key(s).

Had a newer Grand Prix do the same thing.

JW

aarcuda69062

In article
.com,
"jw" wrote:

Ruben wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition
Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now
it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a
week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I
also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical
to re-configure, but nothing.
If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to
take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

Most likely it is a ECM function and there is not anything physical
that you can do to prevent it. It is a bus message from "whatever" and
the ECM is being told that it is in "theft mode".

Actually, it is a bus message from the instrument cluster to the
ECM.

I suspect the key chip has lost it's code, so until you get that fixed
it will continue to do this.

No key chip. There is a hall effect sensor mounted in the
ignition lock cylinder, the hall sensor signals to the instrument
cluster at the exact correct instant that the ignition is powered
up to determine whether it's an authorized start or a theft.

It will require going to the dealer and
forking over a pile of money for a 30 second job to reflash your
key(s).

Nope, the repair will involve replacing the hall effect sensor in
the lock cylinder (common failure). Nothing special about the
keys on a 96 Malibu.

Jerry Foster

"Ruben" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition
Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now
it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a
week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I
also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical
to re-configure, but nothing.
If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to
take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

Post your question to rec.autos.tech. Good bunch of fellows, ready to share
their knowledge...

Jerry

Roger Shoaf

"Ruben" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have any ideas of how to dis-engage the Anti-Theft Ignition
Kill on this car? My Mother's car started doing this a month ago, now
it is on everytime you try to start the car. It has been sitting for a
week now. I tried messing with any fuse marked "IGN"--nothing. And I
also tried disconnecting the battery in an attempt for the electrical
to re-configure, but nothing.
If anyone has any ideas--I would really appreciate it before having to
take it to the dealership. Thank you in advance!

You might call locksmiths in your area to have them check it out. Often
they will sell you a lock a whole lot cheaper than the dealer will and even
key it up to match your key.

--
Roger Shoaf