Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Car guys? 1996 BMW 520

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:25:48 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Ive been offered a 1996 BMW 520i with 108k on the odo in trade for my
old Mazda/Ranger 3.0

Supposedly..there is an "issue" with the tranny linkage. The engine is
supposed to run fine. Ive not seen it as of yet.

Just wondering what you folks think about that particular vehicle and
how desirable it is. My wifes 1997 Saturn now has 254,000 miles on
it..and while it still runs..and actually passed California smog a few
months ago...is getting really...really tired.

Ive been asking $600 for the Mazda...the body has 440,000 miles on it,
with the third engine in it. It wouldnt pass smog in 2009, so I
bought the current Ranger as I needed a vehicle Now!. IM sure the
only thing wrong with it...is a burned out cat. Shrug. Ran quite
nicely when I parked it 3 yrs ago.

Anyway...I know dick about BMW automobiles. Is this a decent
car..assuming its in good condition..or is it a money pit?

Gunner

Isn't a Bimmer made that isn't a money pit. If you have to ask what
it costs you can't afford it. Not saying they are a bad car - but a
cheap car to own they most definitely are NOT. Might fare better in
the desert than they do here - but a 17 year old Bimmer here is
considered a "hobby" car.