Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Car guys? 1996 BMW 520

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 02:34:37 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
Ive been offered a 1996 BMW 520i with 108k on the odo in trade for my
old Mazda/Ranger 3.0

Supposedly..there is an "issue" with the tranny linkage. The engine is
supposed to run fine. Ive not seen it as of yet.

Just wondering what you folks think about that particular vehicle and
how desirable it is. My wifes 1997 Saturn now has 254,000 miles on
it..and while it still runs..and actually passed California smog a few
months ago...is getting really...really tired.

Ive been asking $600 for the Mazda...the body has 440,000 miles on it,
with the third engine in it. It wouldnt pass smog in 2009, so I
bought the current Ranger as I needed a vehicle Now!. IM sure the
only thing wrong with it...is a burned out cat. Shrug. Ran quite
nicely when I parked it 3 yrs ago.

Anyway...I know dick about BMW automobiles. Is this a decent
car..assuming its in good condition..or is it a money pit?

Gunner

Well built car. Solid and dependable. Parts are usually $$$ though.
BUT as a trade for a 3.0 POS I'd do it in a heartbeat. Worst case would
be that you part it out on 'bay or similar.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. That Mazda has sat in my side yard
since 2009. Ive put a bunch of for sale signs on it over the past 3
yrs..but all I get are people wanting to scrap it or illegals who want
to give me frejoles and $300 and dont worry about the tags..they wont
register it anyways.

I LOVe that old bitch...Ive written about her many times over the
years, back in the early 2000s. Hell..I remember talking bout it just
hitting 109k in one of the posts

But...unless I fix her back up..which I purely cannot do at the
moment....shrug

I still have that big ass van down in So Cal..that E350 Id forgotten
Id owned after I had the stroke..the one with the Commercial tags on
it that expired while I was on the operating table in January 2009

https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Van

California..really sucks when getting a vehicle reregistered after its
sat for 4 yrs without a non-op on it. About $600 to put tags on it

And when I checked it last week..3 of the 4 tires had blown out.
Course they were installed on it in 1990....shrug

Its only got less than 14,000 actual miles on it. But the gas
mileage...cringe

Im picking up 4 used tires for $100 tommorow and taking them back
south to install on the van, so I can have one of the roommates drive
it home for me and get it out of my buddies shop side lot.

So I really need the Mazda/Ranger gone..so I can plant the van where
it sits....

Gunner