Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Test hydraulic valve coils

I'm out of my element trying to test AC valve coils. Usually, If they
fail on me they smoke and crack and smell VERY bad...or, they have no
continuity. But, I've had some go bad with none of those obvious
symptoms. I Googled and for some of the testing methods you need a
magnetomatrix oscifier and capatrometer. There should be an easier way!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm out of my element trying to test AC valve coils. Usually, If they
fail on me they smoke and crack and smell VERY bad...or, they have no
continuity. But, I've had some go bad with none of those obvious
symptoms. I Googled and for some of the testing methods you need a
magnetomatrix oscifier and capatrometer. There should be an easier way!

inductive ammeter - with AC applied if the coil is conducting at all you
should pick up the amp draw.

Compass and switched DC source. Switch so you can cycle the power to the
coil. Compass to tell if the coil is generating a magnetic field. (Use a
pulsed DC source with a low cycle time for best results)

VOM, non-contact thermometer and the data sheet for the valve.
VOM to measure the resistance of the coil.
NC Therm. to measure the temperature of the coil.
Data sheet to tell you what the correct number should be for a given
temperature.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote in message
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Standard field test is see if an allen wrench sticks to it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/15/2013 3:43 AM, Steve W. wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Does it make a difference if the coil is " satisfied" with a core?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Cores won't make much difference for the electrical tests. The magnetic
ones could be a problem due to the core retaining magnetism.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

But don't ever power one up without the core! That quickly lets out the
magic smoke!
Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

If you energize the coil without there being a solenoid inside of it there is a very real possibility that it will overheat and burn in a very short time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

Low voltage DC won't hurt it as long as it's pulsed. The coil will act
like a simple choke then.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" fired this volley in
news:ev2dnXeilve02fHMnZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@scnresearch. com:

If you energize the coil without there being a solenoid inside of it
there is a very real possibility that it will overheat and burn in a
very short time.

Yeah, the inductance dives toward zero without the iron core in there,
resulting in very high current through the coil.

(maybe that should be "with an armature in there", since a "solenoid" is
a combination of a coil and an armature G)

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

For testing with a meter, no. But if the coil has an intermittent
open, or a thermal open (it quits when it warms up) you almost have to
test it in a live circuit.

For testing with live power, if you don't have a valve body and core
in the hole the coil will be bad in about three... Two... And there's
the smoke - /now/ it's bad.

Don't ask me how I know this.

If you want to disable the valve, you have to pull the wires. Pulling
the coil off the valve head is not a good idea.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:58:04 PM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm out of my element trying to test AC valve coils. Usually, If they
fail on me they smoke and crack and smell VERY bad...or, they have no
continuity.

Well, a quick-and-dirty tester is to wire a power cord in series with a
lightbulb. If they're failed short, the light goes bright and no click of
the valve. If they're failed open, the light doesn't light at all. Either way,
it doesn't pop a fuse.

You have to size the lightbulb according to the solenoid, to get a
really satisfying test, where the valve operates and the light shines
(but not full brightness).