Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Test hydraulic valve coils

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:58:04 PM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
I'm out of my element trying to test AC valve coils. Usually, If they
fail on me they smoke and crack and smell VERY bad...or, they have no
continuity.

Well, a quick-and-dirty tester is to wire a power cord in series with a
lightbulb. If they're failed short, the light goes bright and no click of
the valve. If they're failed open, the light doesn't light at all. Either way,
it doesn't pop a fuse.

You have to size the lightbulb according to the solenoid, to get a
really satisfying test, where the valve operates and the light shines
(but not full brightness).