Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup on the giant maching

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 23:04:25 -0500, Ignoramus7029
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

What did it cost, how many hours did it take, and what did you make
from the scrap? (If I may ask.)

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

What did it cost, how many hours did it take, and what did you make
from the scrap? (If I may ask.)

Larry, I do not want to pake it public, for obvious reasons. But it
did work out well.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/04/2013 09:04 PM, Ignoramus7029 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

Did you ever figure out what is used to manufacture?

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7029 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

Well, there are GOOD REASONS to take big new projects slow, and get it
done without major oopses.

Well done!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

Well, there are GOOD REASONS to take big new projects slow, and get it
done without major oopses.

Well done!

Jon

I agree, one oops can destroy everything.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

Well, there are GOOD REASONS to take big new projects slow, and get it
done without major oopses.

Well done!

Jon

I agree, one oops can destroy everything.

Thanks

Liability insurance incase of an oops.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/5/2013 12:04 AM, Ignoramus7029 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

THAT was certainly "young-man work"! So, Advil or Aleve?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-06, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
On 4/5/2013 12:04 AM, Ignoramus7029 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I posted a message about a huge machine that I
bought for scrap.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Snyder-Machine/

I thought that I would follow up.

It took 2x as long as I expected, to disassemble it, load on the truck
and take t scrap yard. However, despite dire warnings, everything went
smoothly with no accidents or big troubles. We used up about six fire
extinguishers.

After I got all the weights, the machine weighed 53 tons, out of which
50 tons was steel/cast iron, and 3 tons were motors and copper wire
and miscellaneous parts to be sold as usable.

THAT was certainly "young-man work"! So, Advil or Aleve?

No, but, I did not sleep well two nights during that time. One, when I
was worried that there was no weight that I anticipated. Another
night, when I was worried that my forklifts were not enough.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/6/2013 8:23 AM, Ignoramus8911 wrote:
On 2013-04-06, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Must'a felt good when it all came together! Congrats!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-06, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
[...]

Yes, like if you would have sold a semi truck load of your brushes,
prepaid.