Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is inside a retail gas station "above the ground" part

Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Apr 2013 22:58:36 -0500, Ignoramus7029
wrote:

Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Probably a small computer. Notta whole lotta.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7029 wrote:
Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Usually a pump with dual heads (2 pumps if it also has a diesel nozzle)
Metering unit which controls how much low grade to mix with the high grade for
the blends. Set of flow meters Display, selection, control boards, receipt printer and
the credit card reader head.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Usually a pump with dual heads (2 pumps if it also has a diesel nozzle)
Metering unit which controls how much low grade to mix with the high grade for
the blends. Set of flow meters Display, selection, control boards, receipt printer and
the credit card reader head.

That's great to know! Thanks! Those pumps, are they diaphragm pumps or
something else?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Probably a small computer. Notta whole lotta.

I was kind of hoping that there is some kind of a pump in there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Usually a pump with dual heads (2 pumps if it also has a diesel nozzle)
Metering unit which controls how much low grade to mix with the high grade for
the blends. Set of flow meters Display, selection, control boards, receipt printer and
the credit card reader head.

That's great to know! Thanks! Those pumps, are they diaphragm pumps or
something else?

There are no pumps in those units, modern gas stations use submersible
turbine pumps similar to well pumps. All that is in those dispenser
units is a set of metering units, possibly some filters and a PC with
card and prox readers. I'm afraid scrap wise the stainless steel cabinet
it's all in is probably the most valuable part.

Take a look at this thread for more info than you ever wanted on fuel
stations:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/6..._21 _pg7.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
[...]

Yes, there is not much, indeed.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 05:39:38 -0500, "Pete C."

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
[...]

Not to sure about that, around here you can hear the pumps pumping.
But even if modern pumps use STP's, if those are older pumps they
will have the pump inside them.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
[...]

You may be hearing the flowmeter turning. On the older gas pumps I'm
familiar with the flowmeter was essentially a positive displacement
motor driving the tabulating mechanism. It appears that the pump on
the page cited has a similar arrangement except the "motor" (the
silver device in the second pic) drives an encoder instead of a
mechanical display as in an old pump.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
[...]

I think they would have to be quite old to actually have pumps in them.
What you hear is more likely to be either the noises from the metering
units, or in some cases if the area is quiet you may hear the in-tank
pumps whirr transmitted through the fuel lines much the same way as you
can hear your well pump 200' down the well if you listen at the plumbing
in the house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/4/2013 23:58, Ignoramus7029 wrote:
Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

If you do wind up getting them, I would be interested in a few of the
displays, if they are color.

--
Steve Walker
(remove brain when replying)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Probably a small computer. Notta whole lotta.

I was kind of hoping that there is some kind of a pump in there.

I was replying to the last question and implying that your first two
were correct.

But, Iggy Poo, if you must ask, there are certainly light bulbs,
screws, and sheetmetal panels and framework inside, too. Last, but
not least, several stickers for inspectors and/or calibration will be
hidden inside. Perhaps a plastic window or two hide there, too.

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

a pretty good high volume pump, computer controls and an RS-485 gizmo
and at least 1, if not two motors

Gunner