Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25601 Ignoramus25601 is offline

Default What is inside a retail gas station "above the ground" part

On 2013-04-05, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus7029 wrote:
Someone is offering me a couple of units such as this:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Retail-Gas-Station.jpg

That would be for parting out.

I am wondering what is inside of those? Pumps? Counters? Anything else?

Usually a pump with dual heads (2 pumps if it also has a diesel nozzle)
Metering unit which controls how much low grade to mix with the high grade for
the blends. Set of flow meters Display, selection, control boards, receipt printer and
the credit card reader head.

That's great to know! Thanks! Those pumps, are they diaphragm pumps or
something else?

There are no pumps in those units, modern gas stations use submersible
turbine pumps similar to well pumps. All that is in those dispenser
units is a set of metering units, possibly some filters and a PC with
card and prox readers. I'm afraid scrap wise the stainless steel cabinet
it's all in is probably the most valuable part.

Take a look at this thread for more info than you ever wanted on fuel
stations:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/6..._21 _pg7.html

Yes, there is not much, indeed.