Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lathe....

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/3675345981.html

Anyone heard of Lantaine lathes? Seems to be good things said about em
on the net.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 18:23:00 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/3675345981.html

Anyone heard of Lantaine lathes? Seems to be good things said about em
on the net.

Gunner

There's about a zillion names on those asian import lathes. All about
the same, IMHO. Tell your friend its a work in progress, with some
tweaking it will likely meet his needs.

Now for you and I, that have used REAL AMERICAN IRON, we wouldn't be
caught dead hauling this thing to the trash heap.

Just my uninformed two cents worth.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/3675345981.html

Anyone heard of Lantaine lathes? Seems to be good things said about em
on the net.

Gunner

There's about a zillion names on those asian import lathes. All about
the same, IMHO. Tell your friend its a work in progress, with some
tweaking it will likely meet his needs.

Now for you and I, that have used REAL AMERICAN IRON, we wouldn't be
caught dead hauling this thing to the trash heap.

Just my uninformed two cents worth.

Karl

Ive been trying to find him a 9x18 SB...but they are few and far
between out here in California..when they arent worn out.

Shrug

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/tls/3675345981.html

Anyone heard of Lantaine lathes? Seems to be good things said about em
on the net.

Gunner

There's about a zillion names on those asian import lathes. All about
the same, IMHO. Tell your friend its a work in progress, with some
tweaking it will likely meet his needs.

Now for you and I, that have used REAL AMERICAN IRON, we wouldn't be
caught dead hauling this thing to the trash heap.

Just my uninformed two cents worth.

Karl

Ive been trying to find him a 9x18 SB...but they are few and far
between out here in California..when they arent worn out.

Shrug

Gunner- Hide quoted text -

And that's the problem, there's a good part of the U.S. where there
ARE no machine tools to be had if they aren't new imports. There's
been no concentrations of manufacturing in the ag areas. You might
find a 60 year old example that was an abused school lathe, but the
owners are going to want a bundle. Most of the American Iron has been
out of production long enough that parts are going to be hard to find
if the beds aren't worn to the point where major overhaul or scrapping
aren't needed. A lot of that Asian iron is gear drive, not belts, has
a substantial spindle hole and modern bed design. Parts are still a
problem, though. There are only a few importers that carry a full
stock of parts, the OEMs would rather ship whole machines than boxes
of parts.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The problem for me..is finding SMALL machines. I can find any number
of lathes that are 52" or longer end to end. But then..Im in the
biz.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/06/2013 04:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The problem for me..is finding SMALL machines. I can find any number
of lathes that are 52" or longer end to end. But then..Im in the
biz.

This one looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the price is very
good for listings in this area:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/3698996873.html

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 06:19:47 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 04/06/2013 04:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The problem for me..is finding SMALL machines. I can find any number
of lathes that are 52" or longer end to end. But then..Im in the
biz.

This one looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the price is very
good for listings in this area:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/3698996873.html

Jon

Forwarded!

Thanks!

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 04/06/2013 04:12 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

The problem for me..is finding SMALL machines. I can find any number
of lathes that are 52" or longer end to end. But then..Im in the
biz.

This one looks like it's in pretty good shape, and the price is very
good for listings in this area:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/tls/3698996873.html

Jon

Forwarded!

Looks like a good size for his needs, and the steady rest is a
nice extra -- especially if he starts working on rifle barrels.

It would be nicer if it had the power feed and the quick-change
gearbox -- and I don't see the collection of change gears which should
come with it since it does not have the quick-change gearbox -- but it
is a good start. I would add a quick-change toolpost and certain tool
holders in place of the lantern style toolpost, but other things
(including the gears) can probably be found on eBay over time.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 04/06/2013 07:15 PM, DoN. Nichols wrote:

It would be nicer if it had the power feed and the quick-change
gearbox -- and I don't see the collection of change gears which should
come with it since it does not have the quick-change gearbox -- but it
is a good start. I would add a quick-change toolpost and certain tool
holders in place of the lantern style toolpost, but other things
(including the gears) can probably be found on eBay over time.

Speaking of lathes that are missing parts:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/3638854696.html

Jon