Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 6, 8:43*pm, Ignoramus9904
wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ducing-flat-pr...

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

-Probaably meant to say ``Engineers shot test tires with 50 rounds
from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus9904" wrote in message
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/6/2013 7:58 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
lid wrote in message
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

Likely the reporter thought it was a math problem and his brain froze.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:43:50 -0600, Ignoramus9904
wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Polaris bought this technology almost a year ago. As of the third
quarter of 2012, articles appeared in which the head of the
development department talked about shooting one with a .50 cal bullet
and then driving on it for 6,000 miles.

The "AK-47" comment seems to be something that FOX News added; it's
not in any of the other quotes except those that appear to be Fox
affiliates, and it wasn't attributed to a Polaris official.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ducing-flat-pr...

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

-Probaably meant to say ``Engineers shot test tires with 50 rounds
from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

A 50 caliber round would happily go through the wheen, the hub and
maybe even the axle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-07, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus9904" wrote in message
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

And that would be AK-74
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ducing-flat-pr...

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

-Probaably meant to say ``Engineers shot test tires with 50 rounds
from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

A 50 caliber round would happily go through the wheen, the hub and
maybe even the axle.

It didn't sound like they were shooting through the axle. g Look up
the stories published when Polaris was first pushing the military use
of their new tire, last fall. Here's one:

http://www.airless-tire.com/?p=428

Here's another:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...-non-pneumatic

It sounded like they were going for an impressive demonstration of how
immune the tread and the actual tire, or what would be the "tire," can
be to military threats.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

AK-47 and then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Gee, I didn't think AKs did off-roading. sigh

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 20:58:18 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ignoramus9904" wrote in message
m...
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

7.62mm. AK-74s do the tiny bullets.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

And one would think, that a Fox News journalist may be a bit more
familiar with guns.

AK-47 and then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Gee, I didn't think AKs did off-roading. sigh

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:43:50 -0600, Ignoramus9904 wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...roducing-flat-

proof-airless-tires-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Well, it's from Fox News, so it must be true.

Remember -- Righty-tighty.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Ignoramus9904" wrote in message
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

7.62mm. AK-74s do the tiny bullets.

To the typical journalist, any AK is an AK47.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-03-07, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ignoramus9904" wrote in
message
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47
and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

Perhaps the reporter confused .50 with 5.45?

And that would be AK-74

Do you really expect reporters to differentiate AK-47, AKM, AK-74,
MAK-90?

After Desert Storm I visited an air show with captured Iraqi equipment
on its second day. While I was examining a jet the airman watching
over the area came up and asked me if I knew what it was. I recognized
the writing on it as Hungarian and emphasized that aspect, assuming
everyone connected to the USAF would know the general model. But no, I
was the first person in two days to identify it as a MiG-21.

The tires on the ZU-23 were sized in inches and marked "Made in
Moscow" in the Roman alphabet.
http://web.bg.uw.edu.pl/welw/militar...23/zu-23_3.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

And one would think, that a Fox News journalist may be a bit more
familiar with guns.

Indeed, and I miss the days when journalists were neutral and
apolitical.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Support the 2nd Amendment
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus9904 laid this down on his screen :
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

I'd stay out of the mud with those tires, especially sticky mud.
Once the mud works into the open areas, the tire will become one with
the mud.

Wayne D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/7/2013 9:18 AM, Wayne wrote:
Ignoramus9904 laid this down on his screen :
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

I'd stay out of the mud with those tires, especially sticky mud.
Once the mud works into the open areas, the tire will become one with
the mud.

Wayne D.

Same thing with snow. Also I bet they really make a whistle or roar at
80 MPH!!!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

The AK-47 has been removed from the article.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an AK-47 and
then subjected them to 5,000 hours of off-roading.''

The AK-47 has been removed from the article.

Maybe they were reading RCM. g

--
Ed Huntress

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The AK-47 has been removed from the article.

Maybe they were reading RCM. g

--
Ed Huntress

I've wondered if we have any real influence. The last time I watched
Stephanopoulos interview someone he waited longer for them to finish.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

And one would think, that a Fox News journalist may be a bit more
familiar with guns.

Indeed, and I miss the days when journalists were neutral and
apolitical.

I rerally miss journalists who took the time to read their copy
before airtime so they didn't stumble over words, or stupid things like:
"He pleaded in court", instead of "He pled, in court".
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

And one would think, that a Fox News journalist may be a bit more
familiar with guns.

Indeed, and I miss the days when journalists were neutral and
apolitical.

I rerally miss journalists who took the time to read their copy
before airtime so they didn't stumble over words, or stupid things like:
"He pleaded in court", instead of "He pled, in court".

"Pleaded" is the correct past tense and past participal form of
"plead." "Pled" is considered less acceptable by usage authorities.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...res-next-year/

``Engineers shot test tires with 50-caliber rounds from an

John Brandon deserves to have his media creds revoked for that one.
Wouldn't it be nice if every journalist who didn't know WTF they were
writing about had their creds yanked? Fidiots.

And one would think, that a Fox News journalist may be a bit more
familiar with guns.

Indeed, and I miss the days when journalists were neutral and
apolitical.

I rerally miss journalists who took the time to read their copy
before airtime so they didn't stumble over words, or stupid things like:
"He pleaded in court", instead of "He pled, in court".

"Pleaded" is the correct past tense and past participal form of
"plead." "Pled" is considered less acceptable by usage authorities.

What I really miss is when on air news people were chosen for their
knowledge and ability instead of how good they looked on camera.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Millerremove.us" wrote in message

What I really miss is when on air news people were chosen for their
knowledge and ability instead of how good they looked on camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_News_(film)

It explores the tension between a professional journalist (Brooks) and
a pretty face (Hurt), both competing for air time.

Read the comments under Internet news stories to see how the audience
responds. Intelligence is rare.