Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default WTB *LARGE* used plough disks

I am looking for a few (1 to 6) large (1 or 2 36 inch and 1
or 2 26 inch, and 1 or 2 22 inch nominal diameter) used
plough disks. These can have either the smooth or
scalloped/toothed edge.

Should not be too rusty.

Plan is to weld up Argentinean style discos de assado for
some family members. To see what I am talking about goto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf5KtNidq9Y
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...eTA-CM0kE&NR=1
{spotless shop to start}

Main difference between the Argentine and Mexican style (and
a wok) seems to be that the Argentine style has a 2-4 inch
[5-10 CM] lip welded around the outside to allow these to be
used as a paella pan and for braising in addition to stir
frying.

To see one in use goto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5WYwJMuLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7RiDOcu8BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH5XMo-1boo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_4RofO3BN0

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
[...]

Wouldn't a tank head work the same?
http://www.cmforming.com/tankheads-and-accessories.htm

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 08:39:18 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip
Wouldn't a tank head work the same?
http://www.cmforming.com/tankheads-and-accessories.htm

snip

=============
Thanks for the link.

Yes, but the cost is higher than a used disk (I think)
although this may be offset by reducing fab time and cost of
material for the lip/rim. I live in a rural area, but all
the farmers here seem to use the smaller diameter disks,
which would be suitable for a small unit to go on your bbq
grill or kitchen stove ( and should fit in the oven for easy
paella).

Several people have contacted me off list and it appears
there are far more of these being made/used in the states
than I thought. Plenty of these units for sale at good
prices in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, but the freight is a
killer. Some commercial units w/o lip/rim at
http://bluemoondisk.com/About_Us.html

http://www.disc-it.com/ {has cnc plasma cut supports}

Google search term is discada

Don't have permission to post the emails, but some of the
more interesting links these contained a

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=112481

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/vi...ae8f 8ce16bf2

Thanks for the info

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 14:26:47 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 08:39:18 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip
[...]

Or just use a larger Wok. You can get them here up to about 36" in
diameter :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:43:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

snip
Or just use a larger Wok. You can get them here up to about 36" in
diameter :-)

snip

Another good suggestion. Large woks would be a solution, but
these have a rounded bottom and are difficult to use on
western stoves, although they should work OK on a gas turkey
frier.

While it won't have quite the cachet/brio of a welded disco
de arado, it appears the solution will be the purchase of
several large paella pans. According to the pan sellers
websites, a 26 inch pan will fit on most bbq grills or can
be used on a turkey frier [at low heat]. Looks like these
can also be used as flat grill or griddle.

The smaller 20-22 inch units will fit on most kitchen stoves
and will also fit in the oven for easy paella.

The copper paella pans, although beautiful (too nice to
use?), are a "spicy meatball" in the larger sizes, so it
looks like black or polished steel. I found several
suppliers which may be of interest to the people following
this semi metal related thread.

Spicy meatball
http://www.amazon.com/Sertodo-Alican...rds=paella+pan

over the top
http://www.paellapans.com/60-inch-Ca...Pan-p/c-60.htm

steel
http://www.amazon.com/Garcima-26-Inc...rds=paella+pan

http://www.amazon.com/Garcima-20-Inc...rds=paella+pan

http://www.paellapans.com/Carbon-Steel-s/34.htm

http://www.creativecookware.com/Carb...-P587C108.aspx

Utilitarian solution [no brio points] for bbq grill, turkey
frier, or stove
http://www.amazon.com/Sportsman-CISS...N%3DB003AMKVEU
http://www.jbtoolsales.com/buffalo-t...giant-skillet/

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 22:32:47 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Sun, 03 Feb 2013 09:43:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

snip
Or just use a larger Wok. You can get them here up to about 36" in
diameter :-)

snip

Another good suggestion. Large woks would be a solution, but
these have a rounded bottom and are difficult to use on
western stoves, although they should work OK on a gas turkey
frier.

Over here (where a Wok is a mandatory kitchen utensil) you can buy a
ring that sits on top of your stove burner and supports the wok. the
wok is perhaps a half inch higher then a flat bottom pot would be but
wok cooking is usually at pretty high heat and done very quickly so it
doesn't seem to bother local cooks.

I once made something or another out of a disc harrow disk and as I
remember it, it was fairly thick. I'd think that cooking with one
would be much like using an old cast iron skillet - light the stove
and have a cuppa coffee while it is getting hot :-)

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Small point, but the flat discs are "rolling coulters" (or just "coulters")
for moldboard plows. They usually have a round center hole and a ring of
mounting holes around that one.
The concave disks are "disk harrow" disks. They usually have a square hole.
It wasn't clear to me if the guy in the first video was going to make one of
those things from a coulter or if he was just showing the coulter to the
customer. (My Spanish isn't very good). Looks like he always welds up the
holes to me.

If you don't find any discs from other sources, check out any used farm
equipment place. They often take old disc harrows apart to prepare them for
scrap.
For example, here's one that's close to me (Downing Tractor):
https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Articles.asp?ID=133
Farm auctions can also be a good source.
Related to farm auctions--- There are almost always a couple of guys who do
scrapping for a living who come to farm auctions. They buy up the old,
worn out, obsolete machinery that no on else wants to bid on. They take it
to their location and dismantle the stuff to sort it into piles that will
bring the highest scrap prices. (Cast iron vs. sheet metal, vs mild steel,
etc..).
They will most certainly be the guys who will have the discs available. If
I wanted to locate them, I'd contact any farm auction service in your area
and ask for some names.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 08:39:18 -0600, "Paul K. Dickman"
wrote:

snip
Wouldn't a tank head work the same?
http://www.cmforming.com/tankheads-and-accessories.htm

snip

=============
Thanks for the link.

Yes, but the cost is higher than a used disk (I think)

That would depend on circumstances I suspect. We used to play softball in
the desert at an Easter picnic every year. We used old discs as bases.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2/2/2013 1:55 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
[...]

it's probably location dependent. i found a pile in a junkyard in s phx
a few years ago. i had the square hole welded shut, and use it as a
glass slumping mold.

http://glassartists.org/ChaniArts