Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default favorite tool/parts drawer brands?

Anybody have any favorite suppliers or brands for "narrow" style 28"-ish
tool/parts cabinets with 10 or so drawers, standing around 4-5' tall? This
generic style is usuall around 28" deep. Prices obviously vary depending
on the config.

I was a bit floored when I saw prices on the IAC and Lista ones, but both
look pretty damn good. IAC tables are top notch, so I'm not worried about
their stuff.

Made in USA and won't buckle and sag under it's own weight and won't
collapse and warp like a $20 filing cabinet if I slap the side or stand on
it are the only other requirements.

It seems like all this stuff drop ships. So I'm trying to find more brands
to compare to the first two though.

Here's a general photo of what I'm talking about, on the left:

http://www.iacindustries.com/storage...abinets-18-69/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...
Anybody have any favorite suppliers or brands for "narrow" style 28"-ish
tool/parts cabinets with 10 or so drawers, standing around 4-5' tall? This
generic style is usuall around 28" deep. Prices obviously vary depending
on the config.

I was a bit floored when I saw prices on the IAC and Lista ones, but both
look pretty damn good. IAC tables are top notch, so I'm not worried about
their stuff.

Made in USA and won't buckle and sag under it's own weight and won't
collapse and warp like a $20 filing cabinet if I slap the side or stand on
it are the only other requirements.

It seems like all this stuff drop ships. So I'm trying to find more brands
to compare to the first two though.

Here's a general photo of what I'm talking about, on the left:

http://www.iacindustries.com/storage...abinets-18-69/

I have 8 vidmar and the rest are a mix of nu-era and lista.

Personally I prefer the Vidmar

--rather than use a ladder to reach some open shelves that are setup on top of the 59in units, I usually just open the drawers on several adjacent units to use as stair steps..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

Anything that stands out about the Vidmar ones? PA to IL should be cheaper
than CA to IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 20:45:46 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Anybody have any favorite suppliers or brands for "narrow" style 28"-ish
tool/parts cabinets with 10 or so drawers, standing around 4-5' tall? This
generic style is usuall around 28" deep. Prices obviously vary depending
on the config.

I was a bit floored when I saw prices on the IAC and Lista ones, but both
look pretty damn good. IAC tables are top notch, so I'm not worried about
their stuff.

Made in USA and won't buckle and sag under it's own weight and won't
collapse and warp like a $20 filing cabinet if I slap the side or stand on
it are the only other requirements.

It seems like all this stuff drop ships. So I'm trying to find more brands
to compare to the first two though.

Here's a general photo of what I'm talking about, on the left:

http://www.iacindustries.com/storage...abinets-18-69/

Ive only had experience with the Stanley/Vidmar and Lista cabinets.
Really really good cabinets.

Cherry Point, North Carolina had some 140 up for bid not long ago at
www.govliquidation.com

Seen these?
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...1=22&lvl2=7125

Those are for (2) Stanley/Vidmar cabinets per item btw....

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=5947691
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=5947627
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Guy has a grand to spend..he could fill his garage with them and keep
what he wanted..and sell the rest and pay for the entire lot with one
or two sales, plus gas and a trailer to NC

This are interesting..not for the cabinets..but for the contents

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

[...]

On checking, it appears that the Vidmar uses a heavier gage steel at least on the drawer front, sides and glides, and so I suspect it probably does so throughout.

The bearings on the nu Era are smaller than the on Vidmar but the ones on the Lista are larger.

If you're not in a big hurry, I'd suggest check Ebay and Craiglist local listings for used units since these are fairly expensive to ship and they basically last forever unless someone left them out in the rain.

Also, there's auction sites....Bidspotter is a great resource for these as is Hoff-Hilk, both seem to cover a lot of auctions in your general area...and then there's Dovebid and Govliquidation

--unless badly rusted, they typically will take on a surprisingly nice-looking rattle can style of paint job if given a light careful wet sanding and laquer-thinner-rub-down in order to remove any old stickers, grime and whatzit..

One thing to be aware of is that the top of cabinet height is 59 on the Vidmar but the Lista is a bit taller which means that if you want to arrange a row of them all along the same wall then you probably will want to stay with the same brand or at least to make sure that they are all the same exact height.

Parts availability for other brands besides Craftsman [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 26th 08 06:10 PM
Favorite tool JP Woodworking 0 May 26th 07 03:08 PM
Your favorite tool? [email protected] Woodworking 15 April 19th 07 04:36 AM
Favorite appliance parts source? Dallas Electronics Repair 2 January 5th 06 03:12 AM
Favorite Lathe Tool Tommie Woodturning 9 August 10th 03 10:07 AM