Tommie

Default Favorite Lathe Tool

What is everyones favorite Lathe Tool. Mine is the Heavy Radiused
Scraper that I got from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency =2&SID=
I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent. Tommie

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/tommiesplace.com

Bill Thomas

I like my 1.25 inch wide skew for spindle work
and for pen makeing. Easiest way to get a smooth
surface and eliminate sanding.

Tommie wrote:
What is everyones favorite Lathe Tool. Mine is the Heavy Radiused
Scraper that I got from Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency =2&SID=
I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent. Tommie

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/tommiesplace.com

Ted

I just got back from taking David Ellsworth's woodturning school. He
show's how to use the fingernail ground bowl gouge. When it is ground
correctly AND when you know all the different kinds of cuts it will
make it is fun to use. I would have to say at this point it is my
favorite. Ted

Tommie wrote: I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent.

RikC

My hands.

rik

--

Padded room with a view
RWC3
"Tommie" wrote in message
What is everyones favorite Lathe Tool. Mine is the Heavy Radiused
Scraper that I got from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency =2&SID=
I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent. Tommie

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/tommiesplace.com

Richard Stapley

I'm not sure I can actually pinpoint my Favourite Lathe Tool but I do know I
have many Lathe Tools/Items that have never really been used.

If use constitutes Favourite then it would have to be
Raffan Curved Scraper
Glasser Bowl Gouge
Craft Supplies [UK] Mini Gripper
CA Glue
+ All my own Design Tools that still survive.
RVS

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43164&ccurr
ency=2&SID=
I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent. Tommie

http://www.angelfire.com/va3/tommiesplace.com

Jim M

I'll have to go with the deep fluted bowl gouge (Ellsworth grind style). I
grind almost all my bowl gouges from the 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and 5/8 with this
style of grind. It's just so versatile.

4 out of 5 dentists

"Tommie" wrote in message
What is everyones favorite Lathe Tool. Mine is the Heavy Radiused
Scraper that I got from Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43164&ccurr
ency=2&SID=
I have almost completely stopped using my Bowl Gouges in favor of this
scraper. I can either take a healthy cut or a fine cleanup cut. It was
well worth the money spent. Tommie

it's a toss up, a "bedan" or a liam oniell ground gouge.

Mike Swain

Hi Tommie,

Like many of the others, mine has to be the bowl gouge with the
Ellseworth grind, I had a gouge I ground with what I thought was the
Ellesworth grind but then Crown tools here in the UK sent their
"Ellesworth Signature" gouge over for a review, the grind was much
longer than I had been using and so much better than my effort,
definitely my favourite tool.

Mike

http://creative-woodturning.com
B. Kelsey

I haven't found my favorite tool yet, that's why I keep buying new ones.

Basil Kelsey
Ypsilanti, Mi.
Ray Sandusky

I have a few top of the list tools that I do not think I could loose and
still be an effective turner:

1. Glaser Bowl Gouge - Since this one is in my hands about 80% of the time,
I am sure I would miss it if it were to be lost.

2. Termite hollowing tool - In my opinion, nothing hogs out hollow forms as
quickly and effortlessly (other than my 3" Carbide Forstner bit and extended
Jacob's Chuck)

3. Souix Sanding Drill - An awesome little tool - makes me look good over
and over!

As far as the Grind on my bowl gouge - I do not use the Ellesworth grind -
it advocates the rolling over of the bevel on the wings and does not have as
much of a cutting point available on the gouge's blade as a flat wing grind
style that is advocated by John Jordan and others.

Ray
www.artisticwoods.com