Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Your favorite tool?

The weather cooperated and I was able to finish my deck project this
weekend, but I needed a Sawzall in order to cut some nasty, nail-y
beams. My neighbor moved recently and took his Sawzall with him, the
bum, so I couldn't borrow his. So I HAD to buy one for myself. Man,
is that thing fun! It's almost as fun as my second-favorite tool, my
disc grinder. Boy, there's nothing like taking a coarse-grit wheel to
my lawnmower blades and watching the sparks fly!

However, my all-time favorite tool has been my chain saw. It took me
years to break down and buy one, and it took lots of prodding by my
SWMBO, but it's amazing how many times it just comes in handy. It's
so fun that after I finish a little cutting job, I look around for
something else to cut.

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Hitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hitch wrote in message

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Since I am a safety freak, my hard hat-face shield combo unit and ear
protectors.

It is hard to have fun with tools if your sight or hearing become more
compromised. Aging ears and eyes are enough of a problem already.

Posted to rec.woodworking

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Hm - my ancient Atlas drill press and my LN low-angle block plane come
to mind. Both are solid, durable, versatile, and do exactly what
they're supposed to without complaining. Also, both will still be
around to pass on to future generations. I also really like my
Panasonic 12V drill, but it doesn't quite fall into the last
category.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Whatever my major purchase becomes my favorite tool for the time. Last year
was my hydraulic pipe bender. A few months after that was the Bosch sliding
miter saw. Now, on back order, will be the Hilti 14" diamond wet saw with a
walk behind attachment - couldn't find a wood blade for that sucker. The
chainsaw was a lot of fun but I ran out of trees. I'm looking forward to a
band saw but I don't have anymore room left in my shop (all three garage
spaces) for my junk.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 11:59 am, wrote:

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

My favorite two are a cordless drill and a plunge router. Both happen
to be from DeWalt but I don't have a particular loyalty to any one
brand. Well, there is *one* brand I can't do without: Forrest blades.
Buy 'em kids. They're worth the money...

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
bob bob is offline

Tie:

Paslode cordless nailer and Remington power hammer.

wrote in message
ups.com...
The weather cooperated and I was able to finish my deck project this
weekend, but I needed a Sawzall in order to cut some nasty, nail-y
beams. My neighbor moved recently and took his Sawzall with him, the
bum, so I couldn't borrow his. So I HAD to buy one for myself. Man,
is that thing fun! It's almost as fun as my second-favorite tool, my
disc grinder. Boy, there's nothing like taking a coarse-grit wheel to
my lawnmower blades and watching the sparks fly!

However, my all-time favorite tool has been my chain saw. It took me
years to break down and buy one, and it took lots of prodding by my
SWMBO, but it's amazing how many times it just comes in handy. It's
so fun that after I finish a little cutting job, I look around for
something else to cut.

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Hitch

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 11:59 am, wrote:

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

I know you probably didn't mean 'this' kind of tool, but I would have
to say my mac.
Mostly because it was home to MiniCAD (now Vectorworks) before they
ported it to PC.
Then because it was home to Strata StudioPro (now Strata 3D-CX5).
I came to macs because the software I wanted to use ran on them. For
no other, snooty reason.
I have built more furniture and discarded more designs than I could
have ever afforded in time or materials than to do those projects in
real time/materials.
I get to paint an adirondak chair in seconds, paint until I like the
look. Slats too narrow? No problem.
When I like it, out comes the wood.

A study once showed that only 5% of the workforce love their jobs. I'm
in that 5%.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 16 Apr 2007 08:59:08 -0700, wrote:

The weather cooperated and I was able to finish my deck project this
weekend, but I needed a Sawzall in order to cut some nasty, nail-y
beams. My neighbor moved recently and took his Sawzall with him, the
bum, so I couldn't borrow his. So I HAD to buy one for myself. Man,
is that thing fun! It's almost as fun as my second-favorite tool, my
disc grinder. Boy, there's nothing like taking a coarse-grit wheel to
my lawnmower blades and watching the sparks fly!

However, my all-time favorite tool has been my chain saw. It took me
years to break down and buy one, and it took lots of prodding by my
SWMBO, but it's amazing how many times it just comes in handy. It's
so fun that after I finish a little cutting job, I look around for
something else to cut.

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Hitch

The one I need for the job at hand.

Seriously. Each tool is essential (OK, most of the time) for the
specific task to which one puts it. So, while I might really like my LN #4
smoothing plane, it's not going to be very helpful when I need to be
ripping rails to width or mortising rails and stiles. OTOH, the Unisaw is
great for the ripping task, but not too handy when it comes to getting a
finish-ready surface on those rails and stiles.

Maybe a better statement would be that my favorite tool is the one I need
for the job at hand and that is tuned and capable of achieving that task.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Let's see now, left knee, right knee, we...., oh wait, different kind
of tool.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

My Bosch sliding compound miter saw and the Rigid stand it is mounted
on. Together they are the most used tool in my shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 16, 10:59 am, wrote:
The weather cooperated and I was able to finish my deck project this
weekend, but I needed a Sawzall in order to cut some nasty, nail-y
beams. My neighbor moved recently and took his Sawzall with him, the
bum, so I couldn't borrow his. So I HAD to buy one for myself. Man,
is that thing fun! It's almost as fun as my second-favorite tool, my
disc grinder. Boy, there's nothing like taking a coarse-grit wheel to
my lawnmower blades and watching the sparks fly!

However, my all-time favorite tool has been my chain saw. It took me
years to break down and buy one, and it took lots of prodding by my
SWMBO, but it's amazing how many times it just comes in handy. It's
so fun that after I finish a little cutting job, I look around for
something else to cut.

What's been your favorite tool(s)?

Hitch

It's funny, when I noticed the title, I thought "Sawzall" before I
even read your post.

There's just something about that tool. I remember the first time I
ever saw one used. My sisters' high school was doing some major
demolition and remodeling and had asked for dads to show up on a
string of Saturdays to help out. I think I was ten or eleven at the
time. My dad and I spent most Saturdays working on one or another
projects ranging from car repairs to house projects to yard work so
this was little more than a change of venue for us.

Anyway, we were a large group of amatuers with various levels of skill
and experience with one or two pros in the mix. One of the demolition
tasks was proving extremely difficult because of some very large and
badly rusted bolts holding together an ancient freestanding walk-in
ice box. We couldn't twist, pry or beat the damn walls apart because
the frozen bolts wouldn't pull through the not-so-rotted wood.
Suddenly, this guy appears with Sawzall. He was wearing well worn
coveralls and heavy work boots (also well worn) and his hands looked
like leather. Even at the tender age of eleven, I recognized the look
of a man (and a tool) that WOULD GET THE JOB DONE. The Sawzall made
short work of the situation. My dad commented that this guy probably
made his living with those hands. I'm not sure whether I was more
impressed with the man or the tool, but I wanted a Sawzall of my own
ever since.

I finally bought one from eBay about two years ago (that would be
ahhh...thirty-four years later) for no reason other than I wanted it.
It has proved invaluable to me several times since. As much as we all
like to build, there a deep satisfiaction in demolition/destruction,
and that is the Sawzall's domain!

Tom M.