Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Got a new Motor

I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.

I won it on Ebay for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.

I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.

They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.

Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.

I won it on Ebay for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.

It is a "PSC type" motor which is a poor choice for use on something like a
drill press lathe or similar.

http://www.blmworks.com/ts-motor-basics.html

I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.

They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.

Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:xOKdne3bSt0vuXfNnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.

I won it on Ebay

"Won" = you were willing to pay more than anyone else???
Ok....

for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.

It is a "PSC type" motor which is a poor choice for use on something like
a drill press lathe or similar.

http://www.blmworks.com/ts-motor-basics.html

I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.

They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.

Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?

Marathon is an established brand, common in what seems to be good quality
products.
Not a baldor, but....
1200 rpm seems to be an odd duckie, tho, proly along the lines of what Sam
was saying.

**** ebay. Go to a motor re-winding house, or a pump-motor house, they
often have floor-to-ceiling shelves of used motors.
**** ebay.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

6 pole motors run at 1200 rpm (synchronous speed)

http://www.patchn.com/index.php?opti...52&Itemi d=74

**** ebay. Go to a motor re-winding house, or a pump-motor house, they
often have floor-to-ceiling shelves of used motors.
**** ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Searcher7" wrote in message
[...]

Before I retired, our electrical dept specified Marathon for 3ph 480V
stuff, TEFC or explosion proof, often inverter duty. I had a lot
better luck with them (fractional to 25 hp) than Baldor, except one
custom motor with much less runout than normal for a special
application. The other Baldors we got were often replaced with
Marathons when they died. So I like the brand, don't know about your
motor.

Pete Keillor

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:14:25 -0800 (PST), Searcher7
wrote:

I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.

I won it on Ebay for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.

I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.

They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.

Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Marathon is a good industrial motor and they make them for a lot of
the distributors.

Having found a 1200 rpm motor is a rather lucky find and many
applications can be found for it.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

But none involving a drill press or band saw? Any idea on what these
usually cost? The seller who I won this motor from is selling similar
for $152. www.ebay.com/itm/120861695761 (Though, that one says 115V/
230V).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oops. So much for the no political content warning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Sure..they can be used on both applications and often are. My metal
cutting vertical bandsaw has an 1150 rpm motor in it

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]