Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Got a new Motor

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 20:37:41 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:xOKdne3bSt0vuXfNnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@scnresearch .com...

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I picked up a 115v, 1/2hp, 1200rpm, TEFC, single phase Marathon
Resilient motor.

I won it on Ebay

"Won" = you were willing to pay more than anyone else???
Ok....

for only $16.50 and before I try to figure out what
to do with it I thought I'd ask if anyone was familiar with this
brand.

It is a "PSC type" motor which is a poor choice for use on something like
a drill press lathe or similar.

http://www.blmworks.com/ts-motor-basics.html

I'll probably sell it and but one more suitable for my purpose. That
is one that has a 1/2" dia. pulley shaft instead of a 5/8" one like
another motor I already have.

They seem difficult to come by, and I still need one for my band saw
or drill press project.

Can anyone tell me much about the quality of this brand of motor or
how much it usually goes for?

Marathon is an established brand, common in what seems to be good quality
products.
Not a baldor, but....
1200 rpm seems to be an odd duckie, tho, proly along the lines of what Sam
was saying.

**** ebay. Go to a motor re-winding house, or a pump-motor house, they
often have floor-to-ceiling shelves of used motors.
**** ebay.

Before I retired, our electrical dept specified Marathon for 3ph 480V
stuff, TEFC or explosion proof, often inverter duty. I had a lot
better luck with them (fractional to 25 hp) than Baldor, except one
custom motor with much less runout than normal for a special
application. The other Baldors we got were often replaced with
Marathons when they died. So I like the brand, don't know about your
motor.

Pete Keillor