Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gingerly getting into manufacturing

Gunner on Tue, 01 Jan 2013 17:35:10 -0800 typed
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 07:45:41 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 1, 3:33 am, jon_banquer wrote:

Tom's **** hole shop, Ohio Brush is far from neat, organized or
modern:

http://www.neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/O...h/DSC02519.JPG

And pictures of YOUR shop are where? Anyone can brag about how clean
someone else's shop is.\

Dan

As I recall...Ohio Brush has been in business since 1875.

Its hardly surprising that they have older machines in continuous
operation.

It's abit "cluttered" for my taste. Knowing me, I'd start out
clearing "my" workspace. But I'd also start filling up the unused
space with "important" stuff, and eventually it would be back to
"cluttered" - but with _my_ stuff. Which is Important, unlike the
Junk which used to be there.

The pix are more than 10 years old. I hate clutter and had abolished it
when I bought the rest of the stock. Today, most of the products I make
weren't even designed ten years ago. We had to retool just about
everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 02:39:22 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Gunner on Tue, 01 Jan 2013 17:35:10 -0800 typed
http://www.neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/O...h/DSC02519.JPG

[snip]

As I recall...Ohio Brush has been in business since 1875.

Its hardly surprising that they have older machines in continuous
operation.

It's abit "cluttered" for my taste. Knowing me, I'd start out
clearing "my" workspace. But I'd also start filling up the unused
space with "important" stuff, and eventually it would be back to
"cluttered" - but with _my_ stuff. Which is Important, unlike the
Junk which used to be there.

The pix are more than 10 years old. I hate clutter and had abolished it
when I bought the rest of the stock. Today, most of the products I make
weren't even designed ten years ago. We had to retool just about
everything.

I too, hate clutter - which is any pile of stuff I don't know why
it is there. But it is "amazing" how many people will mistake my
stack of important stuff (or "stuff to be gotten to Real Soon Now")
for clutter. B-)
OTOH, one of the oldest Bossims I recall is "If you haven't time
to put it away properly, what makes you think you will have time to
look for it later?"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Question for the gun Control advocates, "Do you agree with
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I too, hate clutter - which is any pile of stuff I don't know why
it is there. But it is "amazing" how many people will mistake my
stack of important stuff (or "stuff to be gotten to Real Soon Now")
for clutter. B-)
OTOH, one of the oldest Bossims I recall is "If you haven't time
to put it away properly, what makes you think you will have time to
look for it later?"

That's why you leave it in a nice little pile. So you don't have to
LOOK for it!

A clean shop means you don't have enough paying work.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I too, hate clutter - which is any pile of stuff I don't know why
it is there. But it is "amazing" how many people will mistake my
stack of important stuff (or "stuff to be gotten to Real Soon Now")
for clutter. B-)
OTOH, one of the oldest Bossims I recall is "If you haven't time
to put it away properly, what makes you think you will have time to
look for it later?"

That's why you leave it in a nice little pile. So you don't have to
LOOK for it!

A clean shop means you don't have enough paying work.

It even makes sense to have "piles" *IF* you have a one-man shop. I
have two engineers and a mechanic in the mix. So, we have a place for
everything and everything in it's place. But there is still multiple
projects going on that consume common space and get in the way.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 3, 3:47*pm, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

* * * * *I too, *hate clutter - which is any pile of stuff I don't know why
it is there. *But it is "amazing" how many people will mistake my
stack of important stuff (or "stuff to be gotten to Real Soon Now")
for clutter. * B-)
* * * * *OTOH, one of the oldest Bossims I recall is "If you haven't time
to put it away properly, what makes you think you will have time to
look for it later?"

* * That's why you leave it in a nice little pile. *So you don't have to
LOOK for it!

* * A clean shop means you don't have enough paying work.

It even makes sense to have "piles" *IF* you have a one-man shop. *I
have two engineers and a mechanic in the mix. *So, we have a place for
everything and everything in it's place. *But there is still multiple
projects going on that consume common space and get in the way.

You don''t have a one man shop:

http://www.neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/O...h/DSC02531.JPG

As the pictures of Ohio Brush show you have "piles" everywhe

http://www.neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/O...h/DSC02519.JPG

"So, we have a place for everything and everything in it's place."

The photos of Ohio Brush don't lie but you do. In fact, you lie on a
frequent basis.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

I too, hate clutter - which is any pile of stuff I don't know why
it is there. But it is "amazing" how many people will mistake my
stack of important stuff (or "stuff to be gotten to Real Soon Now")
for clutter. B-)
OTOH, one of the oldest Bossims I recall is "If you haven't time
to put it away properly, what makes you think you will have time to
look for it later?"

That's why you leave it in a nice little pile. So you don't have to
LOOK for it!

A clean shop means you don't have enough paying work.

It even makes sense to have "piles" *IF* you have a one-man shop. I
have two engineers and a mechanic in the mix. So, we have a place for
everything and everything in it's place. But there is still multiple
projects going on that consume common space and get in the way.

That's why I plan on building a 40' long workbench along the back of
my shop after the new roof goes up. 36" deep Butcher block style, made
from old pallets, and in 8' long sections. I'll need lots of all-thread
to hold them tight while the glue dries.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

There was a company, "Builders Square" that closed all it's stores many
years ago and I bought truck-loads of 2' and 4' pallet racking. Most of
it we used as is bat some we cut into 3' high sections then made table
tops from 2x4's and ply and covered the ply with Formica to make nice
work center benches. Quite a few have assembly jigs and fixtures bolted
on and tool balancers overhead. One of the best policies we have for
projects is that first you get a plastic bid that will hold everything
for the project THEN start work. If you have to wait for parts,
everything goes in the bin and keep the bench clear. As I added more
and more people, this helped a lot to improve efficiency...and tool
hunting time!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 4, 1:19*am, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Above is yet another one of Tom Gardner's many fairy tales / lies that
he loves to tell.

Here is the reality of how "efficient" Tom Gardner's Ohio Bush shop
actually is:

http://www.neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/O...h/DSC02519.JPG

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

There was a company, "Builders Square" that closed all it's stores many
years ago and I bought truck-loads of 2' and 4' pallet racking.

I remember BS shutting down. I ought several large breaker boxes &
other stuff from their Orlando store.

Most of
it we used as is bat some we cut into 3' high sections then made table
tops from 2x4's and ply and covered the ply with Formica to make nice
work center benches. Quite a few have assembly jigs and fixtures bolted
on and tool balancers overhead. One of the best policies we have for
projects is that first you get a plastic bid that will hold everything
for the project THEN start work. If you have to wait for parts,
everything goes in the bin and keep the bench clear. As I added more
and more people, this helped a lot to improve efficiency...and tool
hunting time!

The idea behind the long bench is to leave sections set up for similr
jobs. No looking for tools at all, and parts that are only used for
that job are already in cabinets on the bench. By makeing it one single
long bench,. I can adjust the space for each area, if needed. The other
benches are mostly 8' long, and some space goes to waste or becomes a
catch-all.