Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anti rust

Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.
Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.
Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.
thanks
gary

Does this help?
http://www.ehow.com/how_12166779_cle...ail-shirt.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 11:43*am, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

You need to keep oxygen away from the chains. And there are lots ways
to do that. Put them in a air tight container or put something on the
chain. I got a gallon of liquid floor wax at a estate sale and use
that. Parafin in paint thinner would work about the same.

Harbor Freight sell vacuum storage bags, which would work well, But
expensive when not on sale. So maybe ziploc bags from Walmart. They
would work fine if you do not move the bags. They are too flimsy
except for sitting on a shelf.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

WD-40, it's not just for lubrication value.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Jan 2, 11:43 am, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

gary

-You need to keep oxygen away from the chains. And there are lots
ways
-to do that. Put them in a air tight container or put something on
the
-chain.

My collection of tire and logging chains hangs on the posts of an
open-sided pole shed, a foot in from the roof edge. A hanging tarp
that I can see over usually keeps splash and wind-blown rain off them.
What little rust they accumulate in a year wears off in minutes of
use.

More valuable bare steel implements like axes are in a yard shed,
which is enough to keep the fog from reaching them. They rarely show
rust on the sharpened edges.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 2, 10:43*am, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Google "VCI bags" as another option
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
On Jan 2, 10:43 am, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Google "VCI bags" as another option

Thanks, it is tid bits of information like this that I did not know before
that is the reason I still pay attention to this group.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Black oxide on the chain does well. It replaces the red-orange rust.

The poor man's way is to put the chain under water and let the chain
start to absorb the oxygen out of the water - but instead of orange
it turns out to be black. It won't go orange.

I did this with some 1/2" thick numbers for my wife - desk paper weight.
They came out black as coal. I then dryed them out and clear coated
them. They were desk ware.

The other item is Phosphoric acid (green in color) - this is used
as a soaking bath - (don't get it on you) - but once the clean
iron/steel gets in it - it starts to turn gray. Don't leave it in
for more than some hours - watch it. It can find weak points and eat
through. This plates phosphorus on the outside and prevents rust.

I'd do one of the various ways pointed out and then store them
in large ammo boxes (rubber seals) to prevent further rusting
and kinda holds the chain from bumping around and knocking off
a surface treatment.

Martin

On 1/2/2013 10:43 AM, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/2/2013 10:43 AM, wrote:
Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Do NOT use acid on chains - hydrogen embrittlement makes the links
like glass. I cleaned some bicycle chain by soaking overnight in
metal=prep - which is a fairly dilute phosphoric acid solution. Chain
snapped like glass first time I put some pressure on the pedals.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:04:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:01:03 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 09:43:51 -0700, wrote:

Got a BUNCH of rusty tire chains, that are shedding every
time I move them.

Got citric acid for derusting, now just need something to
keep them from rusting again.

Dip application, and preferably won't cover me whith slime
every time I have to move 'em into or out of vehicle.

thanks

gary

Hook em up to the rear bumper of your car and drag em a few miles down
a gravel road. Works great for cleaning them (and chain) up.

Then store em in 50 cal ammo cans with a spritz of LPS-3 before
closing them up. Lable the cans for the chain size and voila! Bobs
your uncle.

Ive kept my tire chains that way for decades. Works very well.

Gunner

Tire chains in Southern California....... In the high desert......

Ayup. Sometimes the high desert get snow. Sometimes..a pretty fair
amount.

http://cdn.calisphere.org/data/13030...ID-1.36.43.jpg
Grin

http://media.bakersfieldnow.com/imag...ffic_sign1.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harshlight/3294934174/

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/sync/i7/012011/snow1.jpg

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/sync/i7.../grapepic1.jpg

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/ka...92_600x338.jpg

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/kg...22_600x338.jpg

This year

http://www.avnewstodayonline.com/zz_...12_WINTER.html

The blurb is rather typical...wild fire mixed with snow and
lightening. Grin

Pending Snow Storm Cancels Red Flag Warning
By Fran Paolinelli
ANTELOPE VALLEY - The National Weather Service Sunday night had issued
a red flag warning indicating the presence of wildfire conditions in
mountain, forest and valley areas of the Southland. However, by 9 a.m.
Monday, NWS had cancelled the warning because weather conditions were
not what they had expected.

Instead the NWS is predicting a cold storm, which will bring rain and
snow in some areas of the Southland Wednesday and Thursday along with
winds gusting to 45 miles per hour. There is also the possibility of a
thunderstorm Thursday.

Snow on the Grapevine (I-5 at Gorman) and other mountain roads could
make driving difficult late Wednesday and early Thursday, according to
the NWS forecasters.

Snow levels will fall to 4,500 to 5,000 feet Wednesday night, and to
near 3,500 feet by Thursday morning. Light to moderate rain and
mountain snow are expected Wednesday night, with rain and snow showers
diminishing through the day Thursday, according to NWS.

The approaching storm is expected to produce up to a quarter-inch of
rain in the deserts, between a quarter-inch and three quarters of an
inch along the coast and in the valleys, and between three-quarters
and one-and-a-half inches in the mountains, according to the NWS."

Keep in mind that its the Serria Nevada mountains to the east..and the
Tehacapis to the west and us in the middle of the two.

So we occasionally get "interesting" weather. It doesnt generally hang
around for more than a couple days..but we have had a few winters
where it stayed for over a week.

Ive seen it snow..and the next day be 90F.

http://media.bakersfieldnow.com/imag...field_snow.jpg

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...nty/snow15.jpg

http://www.capturekerncounty.com/pho...40_display.jpg

1999 was a "big" snow year..I had maybe 6" in the front yard and it
was mostly gone by the next day.

But because we are in a valley..with high mountains on both sides...we
do get a fair amount of water when it rains. Flash floods are very
common in many places. In about 1977-78...we had a wet wet winter..and
the Central Valley flooded. a thousand square miles or more... of farm
land under water

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floods_...f ornia_flood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...8California%29

Most lowlands of the Central Valley are prone to flooding, especially
in the old Tulare Lake, Buena Vista Lake, and Kern Lake beds. The
Kings, Kaweah, Tule and Kern rivers originally flowed into these
seasonal lakes, which would expand each spring to flood large parts of
the southern San Joaquin Valley. Due to the construction of farms,
towns and infrastructure in these lakebeds while preventing them from
flooding with levee systems, the risk of floods damaging properties
increased greatly.

Major public works projects beginning in the 1930s sought to reduce
the amount of snowmelt flooding by the building of large dams. In
2003, it was determined that Sacramento had both the least protection
against and nearly the highest risk of flooding. Congress then granted
a $220 million loan for upgrades in Sacramento County.[22] Other
counties in the valley that face flooding often are Yuba, Stanislaus,
and San Joaquin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulare_Lake

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They have other uses than just traction on ice & snow.

But..we use em for traction on ice and snow.

The large mountain pass between the Central Valley and the LA basin
gets on average about 50,000 big trucks alone per day.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The other item is Phosphoric acid (green in color) - this is used
as a soaking bath - (don't get it on you) - but once the clean
iron/steel gets in it - it starts to turn gray. Don't leave it in
for more than some hours - watch it. It can find weak points and eat
through. This plates phosphorus on the outside and prevents rust.

Poor mans Parkerizing.

I'd do one of the various ways pointed out and then store them
in large ammo boxes (rubber seals) to prevent further rusting
and kinda holds the chain from bumping around and knocking off
a surface treatment.

Martin

50 cal ammo cans are ideal for storing tire chains.

On big trucks..use 20mm cans, steel or plastic

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Of course but they can be used to pull a car out of a ditch or most
other jobs that you need a mediu grade chain for, and it has a built in
spare. ;-)

True enough. But I carry a 25' chain all the time.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Why would you want to get within 25 foot of a frothing liberal who
needs pulled out of a ditch? ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 03 Jan 2013
12:20:57 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

[...]

I suspect that Gunner would only offer to help normal, or normal
appearing, people. Raving loons, or frothy liberalth - in the words
of the Old Philosopher "Stay away. Stay very far away."

"This is the chain of command. It is the chain I beat you with
until you follow my commands."
--
pyotr filipivich
Question for the gun Control advocates, "Do you agree with
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 10:14:00 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I suspect that Gunner would only offer to help normal, or normal
appearing, people.

Arf arf. How the **** would either of you (assuming you aren't the
same ****wit) know what a normal person looks like? Gunner for example
thinks it's normal to have a roof plugged with cat****. And to spend
his life on the Internet using the cat**** for an excuse for not
installing a stove. As opposed to getting off his ass and solving the
problem. Odds are that you're equally helpless and equally too
abnormal to realize how obvious it is.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Think 10' tree branch and something to hook to the bumper of the
truck to lift with.

VBG

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Why would you want to get within 25 foot of a frothing liberal who
needs pulled out of a ditch? ;-)

Think 10' tree branch and something to hook to the bumper of the
truck to lift with.

It's more fun to use a blue wrench to remove the connecting metal
that holds the front end from the trunk. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 15:29:13 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Why would you want to get within 25 foot of a frothing liberal who
needs pulled out of a ditch? ;-)

Think 10' tree branch and something to hook to the bumper of the
truck to lift with.

It's more fun to use a blue wrench to remove the connecting metal
that holds the front end from the trunk. ;-)

I was suggesting hanging a leftwinger by the neck using the chain..and
slowly pulling the vehicle forwards to lift them up..up..up towards
the heavens!

Ever try to lift a fat guy with a chain tossed around a tree limb? It
cant be easy.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Why would you want to get within 25 foot of a frothing liberal who
needs pulled out of a ditch? ;-)

Think 10' tree branch and something to hook to the bumper of the
truck to lift with.

It's more fun to use a blue wrench to remove the connecting metal
that holds the front end from the trunk. ;-)

I was suggesting hanging a leftwinger by the neck using the chain..and
slowly pulling the vehicle forwards to lift them up..up..up towards
the heavens!

Ever try to lift a fat guy with a chain tossed around a tree limb? It
can't be easy.

That's what bumper mounted winches were invented for. THEN you cut
the car in half so that another fat loser doesn't try to put it back on
the road and cause yet another accident. ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

100' of 1/4" aircraft cable would be a better carry, methinks.
IF you really wanted to pull them out.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Doesnt have the shock loading capability of 3/8 chain. Seriously.

Ive got some 3/8" and 1/2" steel cable as well, but it doesnt fit very
well in an ammo can

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Doesnt have the shock loading capability of 3/8 chain. Seriously.

Ive got some 3/8" and 1/2" steel cable as well, but it doesnt fit very
well in an ammo can

I had an entire spool of guy wire the power company abandonded on our
property after they dropped it off their truck & split the spool open.
Word got out that I had a mile of the stuff, and guys were bugging me
for peices so I gave it to them for all their schemes. The best was the
guy who told me that he wanted somme for a fence line, then tried to use
it on a homemade wrecker. He was lucky he wasn't in the cab when he
tried it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not necessarily. You can wrap a chain without cutting whatever you
wrapped in half. How are you going to connect to the load vehicle and
the tow vehicle??

Also, 1/4" 7/19 galvanized cable has a break strength of 7000 lbs,
stainless 5308 lbs.. So galv is good for 1800, and stainless about
1300 lbs.

1/4 inch GR30 proof coil (commercial chain) is the same strength as
the stainless cable - 5200 breaking - 1300 working load limit - not
lifting. 5/16" is the same strength as the galvanized cable.

If a cable snaps, it is DEADLY. A chain is also dangerous - but it
doesn't take much to damp it to safety - just throw a blanket over it
or tie a tire to it. Cable is more unpredictable.

My choice for recovery is a strap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message

Ive got some 3/8" and 1/2" steel cable as well, but it doesnt fit
very
well in an ammo can

Gunner

I carry a 2" yellow ratchet strap, which rolls up small and doesn't
rattle. The strap is rated for 10,000 Lbs, not sure about the ratchet.
I tested it by hooking the end to a tree and pulling my truck into a
packed snowbank. The ratchet applies about a thousand pounds of
tension. When I have to muscle a vehicle out of a hole by myself I
place rocks behind the wheels where they will roll into the hole and
retain forward progress.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 21:54:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Doesnt have the shock loading capability of 3/8 chain. Seriously.

Ive got some 3/8" and 1/2" steel cable as well, but it doesnt fit very
well in an ammo can

So learn a smoother pull, suckah.

I had an entire spool of guy wire the power company abandonded on our
property after they dropped it off their truck & split the spool open.
Word got out that I had a mile of the stuff, and guys were bugging me
for peices so I gave it to them for all their schemes. The best was the
guy who told me that he wanted somme for a fence line, then tried to use
it on a homemade wrecker. He was lucky he wasn't in the cab when he
tried it.

Ooh, crack that whip and take the top of the cab right off, whydoncha?

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 07:37:43 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Ive got some 3/8" and 1/2" steel cable as well, but it doesnt fit
very
well in an ammo can

Gunner

I carry a 2" yellow ratchet strap, which rolls up small and doesn't
rattle. The strap is rated for 10,000 Lbs, not sure about the ratchet.
I tested it by hooking the end to a tree and pulling my truck into a
packed snowbank. The ratchet applies about a thousand pounds of
tension. When I have to muscle a vehicle out of a hole by myself I
place rocks behind the wheels where they will roll into the hole and
retain forward progress.

Ah, good tip. I'll have to remember that. I've filled up the holes
with dirt/mud/sand, but it wasn't nearly as effective.

I have a 2" yellow tow strap with hardened hooks in the strap bag, but
I usually have one of those 2" ratchets in the truck, too. Both HF.

The only time I've ever had to be towed out is the week I bought my
last truck (my first new vehicle) and my girlfriend and I were touring
the CA coast. I drove it all the way down Pismo Beach without problem.
But just as I had to turn around at the very end, 4.2 miles from the
entrance, a high wave had just washed over the area and I sunk in as
soon as I turned the wheel. It had been firm sand up until 45 seconds
before. sigh

Luckily, a fisherman in a little Datsun 4WD pickup was right there. I
had some motorcycle tiedown straps with me so, after breaking them
twice, they held the 3rd time. I'd had to let some air out of the
tires and dig sand out the front, but we got it in about 15 minutes.
A nice guy, he wouldn't even accept money for it.

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 06:57:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 07:37:43 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Ayup. The yellow straps can be had at any Home Depot for about $14 tax
included. I keep 4 of them in a 20mm ammo can mounted to the side of
my utility trailer and one under the front seat.

Gunner

1. Lie

anti-rust topcoat Frank Thompson[_2_] Home Repair 9 July 13th 11 07:10 PM
anti-rust primer Joe Home Repair 1 March 2nd 11 10:50 PM
anti-rust primer ransley[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 2nd 11 02:43 PM
Anti-rust padlock mark UK diy 15 December 16th 08 05:40 PM
Anti rust dip ? Jim UK diy 5 May 18th 07 12:31 AM