Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Springs with a washer welded on each end?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R...November272012

I need to secure a spring to an object with a bolt sticking out
of it. It will undergo rotational torque.

I have acquired a nut that fits the bolt.

I could use a spring with a washer welded to each end. Is there a
way to accomplish that without welding?

I could use some terminology, if I end up buying something online.
If that part exists, what are they called?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-

RDHWnBBu2Yc/ULWYEWjhwzE/AAAAAAAAABY/zxB4WR9M_Dc/s272-c/November272012

What would be really cool would be a put a slipping clutch on that
thing, like the slipping clutch that's on a cordless drill.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I need a gas-powered cordless drill...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nevermind...

I'm thinking a torque limiting shaft coupling is what I want to use.

I might ask about that later.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R...November272012

I need to secure a spring to an object with a bolt sticking out
of it. It will undergo rotational torque.

I have acquired a nut that fits the bolt.

I could use a spring with a washer welded to each end. Is there a
way to accomplish that without welding?

I could use some terminology, if I end up buying something online.
If that part exists, what are they called?

Thanks.

Yeah, turn custom washers with tophat-like cylindrical extensions that
the spring fits over tightly. They are more secure if you thread the
extension to match the spring. Got a lathe yet?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" muratlanne gmail.com wrote:

Yeah, turn custom washers with tophat-like cylindrical
extensions that the spring fits over tightly. They are more
secure if you thread the extension to match the spring. Got a
lathe yet?

How much of an investment is required for doing that?

And speaking of confusion... I don't understand why, out of all
the metal workers in this group, none offer a metalworking
service.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 5, 8:21*pm, John Doe wrote:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-R...wzE/AAAAAAAAAB...

I need to secure a spring to an object with a bolt sticking out
of it. It will undergo rotational torque.

I have acquired a nut that fits the bolt.

I could use a spring with a washer welded to each end. Is there a
way to accomplish that without welding?

I could use some terminology, if I end up buying something online.
If that part exists, what are they called?

Thanks.

Generally, such things are designed so the spring is captive on a rod,
the rod being secured to the surface by whatever means is necessary
and the part that bounces on the spring has a clearance hole for the
rod. Think recoil spring assembly on that latest semi-auto pistols.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/6/2012 6:18 PM, John Doe wrote:
... I don't understand why, out of all
the metal workers in this group, none offer a metalworking
service.

I'd guess that it's primarily because it's _rec_.crafts.metalworking. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/5/2012 11:08 PM, John Doe wrote:
Nevermind...

Even so, here's a simple technique that's very good at retention under
tension. I can't say how it would resist a torque load. 'Course it
would depend upon the torque.

http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/SpringClamp.jpg

Also, I have _brazed_ to the ends of a spring, to make a torque guage.
I would recommend brazing rather than welding - the heat of welding is
likely to do bad things to the spring. I.e., make the HAZ brittle.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt bobengelhardt comcast.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

... I don't understand why, out of all the metal workers in
this group, none offer a metalworking service.

I'd guess that it's primarily because it's
_rec_.crafts.metalworking. Bob

That's a lot closer than _political_garbage_.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" muratlanne gmail.com wrote:

Yeah, turn custom washers with tophat-like cylindrical
extensions that the spring fits over tightly. They are more
secure if you thread the extension to match the spring. Got a
lathe yet?

How much of an investment is required for doing that?

Here's a start:
http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...al-Lathe/G8688
This outfit has information and support for small hobby lathes:
http://littlemachineshop.com/

Personally I'd try to find a local source for the small lathe that can
sell you the accessories you'll need as you progress. There are three
near me. Or look for used machines. The most recent CL ads he
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3455302527.html
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/3457594364.html

I started with a second-hand Sears lathe about that size that was
quite useful on aluminum and brass but not really up to cutting steel.
Then I jumped to an industrial South Bend lathe, so I don't have
hands-on experience with currently available hobby-sized machines. If
anyone has the Harbor Freight one, please speak up. I bought some
lathe accessories such as a Morse taper 3-jaw chuck from them that
were acceptable for hobby work.

And speaking of confusion... I don't understand why, out of all
the metal workers in this group, none offer a metalworking
service.

We went over that with Morris Dovey's high pressure nickel-hydrogen
fusion reactor experiment. Hobbyists don't have liability insurance
for when you f%^k up and kill yourself anywhere near parts that can be
traced back to us. I worked for Segway and know the big risks that
ride on small wheels.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" muratlanne gmail.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

And speaking of confusion... I don't understand why, out of all
the metal workers in this group, none offer a metalworking
service.

We went over that with Morris Dovey's high pressure
nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor experiment. Hobbyists don't have
liability insurance for when you f%^k up and kill yourself
anywhere near parts that can be traced back to us. I worked for
Segway and know the big risks that ride on small wheels.

Individuals make and sell things to other people all day every
day, at least here on Earth.

--

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Jim Wilkins" muratlanne gmail.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

And speaking of confusion... I don't understand why, out of all
the metal workers in this group, none offer a metalworking
service.

We went over that with Morris Dovey's high pressure
nickel-hydrogen fusion reactor experiment. Hobbyists don't have
liability insurance for when you f%^k up and kill yourself
anywhere near parts that can be traced back to us. I worked for
Segway and know the big risks that ride on small wheels.

Individuals make and sell things to other people all day every
day, at least here on Earth.

Then you should rely on a commercial machine shop for your needs.
jsw

Welded with the 7018 Snag[_3_] Metalworking 0 July 17th 11 09:27 PM
A welded ring Don Foreman Metalworking 8 January 3rd 06 10:40 PM
welded globe RHGrafix Metalworking 4 December 31st 05 12:09 AM
Does anyone know, for sure, if brass can be welded to steel ? [email protected] Home Repair 6 December 13th 05 12:44 AM
need parts welded? [email protected] Metalworking 0 December 4th 05 11:17 AM