Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welded with the 7018

also posted at sejw
Tombstone buzzbox , 1/8" rod at 120 amps on 3/16" steel plate . Some
surface beads , an inside corner bead - all horizontal .
It likes a short arc , as y'all told me . What you didn't say is what a
pretty bead it makes ! I had reservations when I saw that big ol' bead of
slag . But when I busted it away , which was pretty easy , underneath was as
nice a bead as I've ever laid . Did a bit of inside corner, and that was
even prettier ! Nice slightly concave rippled bead with equal fill on both
legs , great penetration , and not a bit of undercut at the edges .
Now it may just be beginner's luck , but I just can't see the rep some
have assigned to this rod . I was welding on a piece with light surface rust
.. I've read that restrikes are hard , so I tried it both with hot rod and
with it cold - with the same rsults , no problem at all with striking an arc
.. Just gotta tap hard enough to crumble that shroud of shield coating that
sticks out past the electrode itself .
As long as I've had this rod laying around , I'm going to have to assume
it's picked up some moisture . For that reason if I need to weld something
that needs to be low-hydrogen it'll be with new rod . But for general
around-the-shop welding I can see using it anywhere I'd use the 6011/13 rods
..
--
Snag
Scratch and

7018 rods question stryped Metalworking 11 April 21st 08 10:57 PM
7018 rod storage Don Foreman Metalworking 9 April 9th 06 11:27 PM
7018 rod storage SomeBody Metalworking 0 March 20th 06 06:21 AM
7018 rod storage Andrew VK3BFA Metalworking 0 March 15th 06 10:54 PM
7018 rod storage Wayne Cook Metalworking 1 March 15th 06 08:04 PM