Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default A welded ring

Warning: metal content.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Nice Work

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John P.

That's pretty cool Don.

John P.

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 01:36:57 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Warning: metal content.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

It should hold up an elephant!

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
Warning: metal content.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Warning: metal content.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/

Nice job! You know what's going to happen now, right? Yup, that old
water pipe is gonna break g.

Snarl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Wayne Lundberg wrote:

It should hold up an elephant!

Well, a full grown elephant weighs 6,000-8,000 pounds.

Those pins in Don's rig look to be about 3/16" diameter, and if they're
carbon steel the double shear strength will be about 4,000 lbs each, or
8,000 lbs total.

But, the pin holes are pretty close to the edges of the hinges, so
that's probably where it would fail if you tried to hoist an elephant,
though it's unlikely that the weight of one daughter could ever fail them.

For one part of SWMBO's practice I had a lot of fun creating overhead
suspension points for stuff kids swing around on. We use a lot of spring
carribiners to let various pieces of apparatus get swapped in and out
easily.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/siot/index.htm

The fixed overhead suspension points are 5/8" eyebolts and it's amazing
how much the contacting surfaces of the carribiners and eyebolts show
wear in about a year with what's probably less that 125 lbs of load
swinging back and forth on them. I can't use lube there 'cause it'll
mess up the therapist's hands and clothes.

When the wear gets about a quarter of the way through the diameter of a
part I let my son built them back up with MIG and they're ready for
another year.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP*

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
Warning: metal content.

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/

Nice. Your daughter might like www.crossfit.com or
http://www.ringtraining.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Don Foreman writes:

http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/trapeze/

Tell us more of this chromating you apparently perform.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Berger

I'd be much more worried about the water pipes she'll be hanging
from....