Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 4x6 Bandsaw vs. abrasive chop saw

Awl --

For years, I was an avowed proselytizer of the 4x6 bandsaw, and have two
side-by-side, and have at least two more in parts. Had 4 operating at one
time.

But some time ago, they started proving to be real pita's, and around that
time I started almost all alum in my shop, which I cut on my RAS. Then I
discovered abrasive wheels in a chop saw for steel -- or for almost
ANYTHING!!
Blade breakage for 4x6s can be a problem, as well. Plus, good blades aren't
that cheap, either.

The RAS for aluminum is most often really quick, convenient, altho loud and
at times adrenaline-raising.... lol.
The 4x6 has the advantage of being able to walk away from it, come back
later. And nice'n'quiet....

So my Q is: Who all has "abandoned" their 4x6's, in favor of RAS's (alum),
and chop saws for steel?
Admittedly, the 4x6 is nice for cutting stacks of stuff, but I don't do much
of that, and......

I have a fully automatic/hydraulic 9x16 Kalamazoo, with recirculating
sump.... which, bleeve me, is its own pita, unless you have really large
material or a substantial production job, and then it's worth its
substantial weight in gold. But I haven't used it in well over a year, and
then not much before that. And talk about expensive blades.... and
parts.... holy ****....

So just curious about how others handle cutting. I plan on expanding my
abrasive capabilities by getting a sliding miter saw. I suppose I could
just change blades on the RAS, but it's nice to have dedicated saws.

Idears, experiences?
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/07/2012 03:53 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
[...]

I use my 14" abrasive saw when I have a lot of "less than precise" cuts
to make in stock material; it's quick and gets the job done.

I use the 4x6 when I need more precision in the piece, and I wish I had
a bigger bandsaw.

Speaking of bandsaws, my 4x6 is down right now because the wormgear
shaft (the one that drives the lower pulley) broke in me a few months
ago. It's a 15mm shaft, keyed on one end for the bronze gear, and
also drilled for a roll pin that goes through the shaft and the bronze
gear.

I was going to look into a replacement shaft, but the hole for the roll
pin, which is supposed to be drilled radially, doesn't quite go through
the center.

I'm pretty sure whatever chinashop that made these just bored the hole
with the bronze gear attached, without giving any concern as to the
radial alignment of the hole (ie they either didn't use a centering jig
or didn't have it calibrated).

And then there's the matter of locating a 15mm shaft, lol.

One of these days I'll get around to it.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-11-07, Existential Angst wrote:
Awl --

For years, I was an avowed proselytizer of the 4x6 bandsaw, and have two
side-by-side, and have at least two more in parts. Had 4 operating at one
time.

But some time ago, they started proving to be real pita's, and around that
time I started almost all alum in my shop, which I cut on my RAS. Then I
discovered abrasive wheels in a chop saw for steel -- or for almost
ANYTHING!!
Blade breakage for 4x6s can be a problem, as well. Plus, good blades aren't
that cheap, either.

Good blade stock, and a blade welder make a difference,
however.

The RAS for aluminum is most often really quick, convenient, altho loud and
at times adrenaline-raising.... lol.

I've lost enough hearing already -- no interesting in running
things that loud on a regular basis.

The 4x6 has the advantage of being able to walk away from it, come back
later. And nice'n'quiet....

Which feature I like. Only time it won't shut itself off in a
reasonable time is if the adjustment of the vise jaw and the "upper"
blade guide are just wrong -- and they stop the cut while the motor
keeps running.

So my Q is: Who all has "abandoned" their 4x6's, in favor of RAS's (alum),
and chop saws for steel?

Not I -- nor am I likely to. I don't have a RAS (nor room for
it), and a chop saw for steel strikes me as a source of sparks and a
possible fire. And since I am currently invaded by an insurance
restoration crew because of a fire in the shop, I *really* don't want
another.

Admittedly, the 4x6 is nice for cutting stacks of stuff, but I don't do much
of that, and......

I do it sometimes.

I have a fully automatic/hydraulic 9x16 Kalamazoo, with recirculating
sump.... which, bleeve me, is its own pita, unless you have really large
material or a substantial production job, and then it's worth its
substantial weight in gold. But I haven't used it in well over a year, and
then not much before that. And talk about expensive blades.... and
parts.... holy ****....

That sounds nice to have.

For serious work, a friend has a big power hacksaw which is
scary strong -- though its blades are a bit expensive, too.

So just curious about how others handle cutting. I plan on expanding my
abrasive capabilities by getting a sliding miter saw. I suppose I could
just change blades on the RAS, but it's nice to have dedicated saws.

Idears, experiences?

Just my opinions above.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7 Nov 2012 20:25:57 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

So my Q is: Who all has "abandoned" their 4x6's, in favor of RAS's (alum),
and chop saws for steel?

Not I -- nor am I likely to. I don't have a RAS (nor room for
it), and a chop saw for steel strikes me as a source of sparks and a
possible fire. And since I am currently invaded by an insurance
restoration crew because of a fire in the shop, I *really* don't want
another.

Nor I.

I have (2) 7x12 Emerson horizontal band saws and a 10 chop saw (Zip
Cut) and I use the zipcut for small stuff that doesnt need any
accuracy..and the Emersons for cutting real metal bits accurately.

And there is no reason to change.

This of course does not count the mid sized high/low variable speed
verticle bandsaw that I use almost daily as well. (Walker-Turner)

The chop saws and their variants are nice for some things..but they
will never replace the other sorts in Most...most shops.

Gunner

--
""The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have
to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have
a clue as to political reality.
What amazes me is that you could take a group of people who are hard
workers and convince them that they should support social programs
that were the exact opposite of their own personal convictions. Put a
little fear here and there and you can get people to vote any way you
want.

The voter is basically dumb and lazy. The reason I became a Democratic
operative instead of a Republican was because there were more
Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans."
James Carvell, DNC operative
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just flattened my teeth on my 7x11 saw - glad to rid the old blade -
it was 7 years old and has cut and cut. Now I have the sister blade in
and so far it seems ok - might have a broken tooth.

Some years ago - 8 or so - about the time I got it - I put a Hydraulic
oil filter where I could buy the head for hose attachments and screw on
filter. Kinda like auto - but for machines. Anyway, it filters my
coolant fluid and keeps the small chips from banging on the blade
and improves the flow.

The fear at the time since it was a paper filter - it would melt.
Well, I replaced it several months ago - after 7+ years of use of one
filter - the can had rusted through and was leaking. Took it off,
put on the spare one - ordered a pair and away I go.

The teeth wore down by cutting several inches of 3/8" Ballistic steel
that I would normally plasma cut but this was handy. That blade went
almost flat and would not cut A36 hot rolled steel.

I think it provides a high quality coolant to the blade. I also added
a plastic jointed flat spray nose.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't think it's a choice of one or the other. They both have their
place. In my experience, abrasive chop saws don't like thick materials very
much and band saws don't like hardened, or very tough steels very much.
And, as others have said, the chop saw makes lots of sparks and smells bad.

Pete Stanaitis