Charles A. Sherwood

Default abrasive cut off discs

I recently bought a 3 inch precision cutoff saw.
http://www.coasteltools.com/prod_ct3.htm

When I first got the saw, I experimented by cutting small
(#4-#6) screws and bolts. The suppled AO disc cut them with ease.

I decided I wanted to play with more exotic discs so I
ordered Hertel Ceramic and Norton Norzon 3 inch diameter
1/32 inch thick cutoff discs.

Both the Hertel and Norton discs cut a piece of 0.90 by
1/2 inch wide sheet metal (cut on edge) with ease.

Now on to tougher stuff; a 3/16 chinese made toolbit.
Both the Norton and Hertel discs cut it in 10 seconds
without much toolbit heating or discoloring.
The generic AO disc caused significant heating and blueing
of the bit before it was even half way through.

At this point I'm pretty much ready to claim that Norton and Hertel
discs are equavelent, but what the heck, time for one more test.

I grabbed a 3/16 5% cobalt toolbit.
The hertel disc cut the toolbit in 8 seconds with ease and with
out much heating just like the other toolbit.
The norton disc has 2/3 the way through in 12 seconds and the
tiny slice I was cutting off was glowing red! Whoa says me.
Repeat the hertel test and it still cut the toolbit with ease.

So I pronounce the Hertel ceramic disc the winner at 2.25 each.

chuck

jim

Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

[...]

if one was ceramic and the other was not then that is why they worked
differently.. ceramic is a smoother cut, at high speed it goes faster
and takes off smaller pieces of metal from the project so its not as
hot.. with a non ceramic disc it has a bigger bite and will heat up alot
faster... more friction....
rhncue

I'm very interested in both your saw and the ceramic blades.May I ask
what brand you got and from whom. Right now I am using a router mounted on
to a lathe with a .025ths. jewelers cut off blade to cut Phenolic tubing and
the blade gets extremely hot.
Thanks,
Dick

--
repairing and building fine custom cues for
real pool players at affordable prices.
"jim" wrote in message ...
Charles A. Sherwood wrote:

[...]

Randal O'Brian

That's good info. I bought the CT-3 several years ago (different brand name
but the same tool) I found the discs that came with it were poor quality.
Some good ones from MSC worked better.

Now if they would simply use a socket head cap screw instead of that damned
phillips head(left-hand thread) for the disc mounting screw. I also milled
wrench flats on the disc drive washer to make it easier to remove the above
screw.

Randy

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote in message

[...]

Charles A. Sherwood

Well, the saw is there, but I couldn't find the discs. Did you get the
discs elsewhere? MSC has ceramic, for a lot more than $2.25. Bob

J&L Hertel Ceramic cutoff discs.

chuck

Bob Engelhardt

"Charles A. Sherwood" wrote:
J&L Hertel Ceramic cutoff discs.

Thanks. Specifically:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/pdf/us_c...73cat_1358.pdf
Charles A. Sherwood

Thanks. Specifically:

http://www.jlindustrial.com/pdf/us_c...73cat_1358.pdf

Thats the right page!
chuck

Grinding Discs N. Thornton UK diy 6 March 13th 04 11:18 PM
Abrasive #1 1/2 Surface Grinder info needed [email protected] Metalworking 2 July 11th 03 11:26 PM