Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default looking for stainless rod in small diameters..

Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

Thx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, November 2, 2012 1:12:54 PM UTC-7, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8.. Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions. Thx --

Needed a 1/16 ss rod for a project. Ended up using a TIG weleding rod

Good luck
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message ...
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...ep=2&top_cat=1

Thanks but the smallest size they have is 3/32

"PrecisionmachinisT" 123machinist notmail.com wrote:

Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes
are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking
for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

Thx

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...ep=2&top_cat=1

Thanks but the smallest size they have is 3/32

"PrecisionmachinisT" 123machinist notmail.com wrote:

Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes
are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking
for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

McMaster has six foot lengths of 303 in:

1/16 @ $10.8 (precision ground)

3/32 @ $2.90 (mill) & $11.86 (PG)

1/8 @ $3.85 (mill) & $14.99 (pG)

No 5/64. You can pick from 0.075 or 0.080" wire, though. May be worth
looking at the other sizes you want "as wire" as well.

Small Parts (AKA Amazon since they bought them out) is far more
expensive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" 123machinist notmail.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...ep=2&top_cat=1

Thanks but the smallest size they have is 3/32

that should work for your 3/32 and 1/8 sizes...

From: "PrecisionmachinisT" 123machinist notmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: looking for stainless rod in small diameters..
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 15:32:07 -0700

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" 123machinist notmail.com wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...ep=2&top_cat=1

Thanks but the smallest size they have is 3/32

that should work for your 3/32 and 1/8 sizes...

I might have to just buy all of it in 1/8 and turn it down in the swiss--I
need 4in lengths but as it standsm the max turning length in my screw
machines is 3.94 but maybe i could tweak a linit switch or something and
cheat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2012 4:12 PM, PrecisionmachinisT wrote:
Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

Thx

http://www.loosco.com/index.php?page...-wire#products

look at "retaining wire"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.ksmetals.com/

1/16 http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s7131.htm

3/32 http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s7133.htm

1/8 http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s7135.htm

http://www.hobbylinc.com/hobby_and_c...and_metal_rods

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:12:48 -0700
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

Thx

Would stainless MIG wire work?

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 13:12:48 -0700
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote:

Non- magnetic, although actual grade is not important-- sizes are to be 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 and 1/8..

Prices have gone through the roof at my usual supplier...looking for alternate vendors, appreciate any suggestions.

Thx

Would stainless MIG wire work?

Yes but it is cost-prohibitive.