Old September 22nd 11, 12:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Remove small dents from stainless steel fridge

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

Old September 22nd 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 12:13 pm, larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Old September 22nd 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 1:04*pm, Jim K wrote:

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Brand? Not sure. We have it because it is an odd size (which works
for us), but I believe it is a "quality" brand and the guage of the SS
might therefore be moderately relevant.

Can I get to the rear - not obviously, no.

Matt
Old September 22nd 11, 01:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 1:06 pm, larkim wrote:
On Sep 22, 1:04 pm, Jim K wrote:

is the brand relevant?

can you get to the rear of the panel?

Jim K

Brand? Not sure. We have it because it is an odd size (which works
for us), but I believe it is a "quality" brand and the guage of the SS
might therefore be moderately relevant.

it has dents so it isn't a luxuriously thick gauge then...

Can I get to the rear - not obviously, no.

oh well - fridge magnets?

Jim K

Old September 22nd 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:

Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

Hmm, options limited then ..

Glazing suckers/dent pullers maybe?

I guess a lot depends on the 'sharpness' of the dents, if they're
creased then it's unlikely you'll do anything good to them. If they're
just depressions it may be possible to 'suck' them out, or at least get
them nearer to flat.

Getting to the underside would give a far better choice of method and
chance of successful recovery.

--
Paul - xxx
Old September 22nd 11, 01:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

larkim wrote:
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

You could try a suction cup type dent puller as sold for minor dents on
cars. Speak to your local mobile stonechip fixer if you don't want to
take a chance.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Old September 22nd 11, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

If they're just depressions it
may be possible to 'suck' them out,

do you have to find the local prozzie that can suck a golf ball through a
hose pipe for that job?

Old September 22nd 11, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:

If they're just depressions it
may be possible to 'suck' them out,

do you have to find the local prozzie that can suck a golf ball
through a hose pipe for that job?

Nah, ask your wife nicely ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old September 22nd 11, 02:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"larkim" wrote in message
Any tips on how to achieve the above? Have a Fisher & Paykel brushed
stainless steel fridge that has acquired a few small dents from
children and adults alike. The kind of dent you'd get in a car door
if another car door bumped into it in a car park.

It may not be worth trying anything at all and just living with it,
but if there are any tried and tested techniques I'd be glad to hear
of them.

(I don't own an angle grinder, and I'm all out of car body filler...)

TIA!

Matt

I would say leave it alone, you don;t stand a chance of getting a good
finish.

Baz