Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shelf life of fuels

I want to get some 55 gal barrels of gas and diesel to stock up. What are
the shelf life on these, and what treatment do they need for extended
storage? There would be a turn over, as I would use some, then refill them.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:59:19 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I want to get some 55 gal barrels of gas and diesel to stock up. What are
the shelf life on these, and what treatment do they need for extended
storage? There would be a turn over, as I would use some, then refill them.

Steve

Gasoline will keep a long time if you add Stabil product regularly.
May lose octane rating.

My fuel supplier has really warned me on diesel. Seems today's near
zero sulfur fuels like to grow a nasty slime. They have an additive
for this, but he has told me there have been several failures with
long term storage. So far, i've been able to back blend older stuff
(hi sulfur)and haven't had trouble.

FWIW, I topped up the tanks yesterday for $2.89/gal. I expect prices
to go to $#%^ next Wednesday.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
[...]

Regular in SW Utah is $3.70 for regular and $4.25 for diesel.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote

Gasoline will keep a long time if you add Stabil product regularly.
May lose octane rating.

My fuel supplier has really warned me on diesel. Seems today's near
zero sulfur fuels like to grow a nasty slime. They have an additive
for this, but he has told me there have been several failures with
long term storage. So far, i've been able to back blend older stuff
(hi sulfur)and haven't had trouble.

FWIW, I topped up the tanks yesterday for $2.89/gal. I expect prices
to go to $#%^ next Wednesday.

Karl

I would anticipate drawing from the diesel tanks regularly for my tractor,
and diesel truck. There is a conflict on gasoline, as everything I use
around the house is low octane, and wifey's Bird is high. So, probably no
chance of saving higher octane fuel. And the lower one would be turned
over, but not as often as the diesel. Stabil (?) would be used. Is that
good, or is there something better?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
I want to get some 55 gal barrels of gas and diesel to stock up. What are
the shelf life on these, and what treatment do they need for extended
storage? There would be a turn over, as I would use some, then refill them.

Steve

I wouldn't go with 55 gallon drums unless you use a LOT of fuel.
I use common 5-6 gallon cans. With them you can rotate stock easily.
Transport is easier.
Storage is easier. Actual use is easier since you can just grab 5
gallons and toss it in a vehicle
then refill it as needed. I rotate my gas every 3 months or so.

As for treatment I use Stabil. You want to be careful with diesel. The
new stuff grows crud REALLY fast.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 09:59:19 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

I want to get some 55 gal barrels of gas and diesel to stock up. What are
the shelf life on these, and what treatment do they need for extended
storage? There would be a turn over, as I would use some, then refill them.

Steve

If you add Stabil or other stabilizers, you should still cycle them
about once a year. I have to churn mine.

-- Bruce --

Plasterboard shelf life. David WE Roberts[_4_] UK diy 13 June 7th 12 11:23 AM
Battery Shelf Life Dottie Home Repair 55 June 11th 09 05:55 PM
Emulsion shelf life? Rob[_10_] UK diy 8 April 8th 08 08:21 AM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 02:34 PM
Penetrating oil shelf life Norm Dion Home Repair 1 June 29th 04 01:42 AM