Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard shelf life.

Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 5:17*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

Cheers

Dave R

should be fine - you'll see if its broken up due to physical damage or
water

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2012 17:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:17 pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

Cheers

Dave R

should be fine - you'll see if its broken up due to physical damage or
water

NT

do be aware it may shrink a LITTLE once its up and fully dried out.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/06/2012 17:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

So fly tipped with the asbestos now, no doubt.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Jun 6, 5:17 pm, "David WE wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

Cheers

Dave R

should be fine - you'll see if its broken up due to physical damage or
water

NT

The instructions from my plasterer when faced with 1 year old PB
was to spray with water first and allow to soak in.
Fresh PB will still have some moisture in from storage at the BM

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 06/06/2012 17:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

I wonder where they think it came from in the first place?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/06/2012 18:28, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articlew5mdndWIx9rTEFLSnZ2dnUVZ8nCdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
John writes:
On 06/06/2012 17:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

I wonder where they think it came from in the first place?

Indeed. IIRC the problem is related to it being mixed with other
biodegradable waste products rather than being a problem in itself.
Hence they try and recycle a fair amount of it.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ste/32148.aspx

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally I wouldn't make a shelf out of plasterboard, I don't think it
would last long....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Personally I wouldn't make a shelf out of plasterboard, I don't think it
would last long....

Oh I don't know. Batten on the front edge, hardboard on top.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 10:47*pm, newshound wrote:

Personally I wouldn't make a shelf out of plasterboard, I don't think it
would last long....

Oh I don't know. Batten on the front edge, hardboard on top.....

I've seen plaster shelves once, they were fine. It was a lot thicker
than half an inch of course.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 6:28*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Rumm writes:

On 06/06/2012 17:17, David WE Roberts wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Might be slightly bent - but should be nail/screwable flat again ;-)

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

They like to keep gypsum out of landfill these days...

I wonder where they think it came from in the first place?

Most is a by product from German sulphur scubbing equipment on coal
fired power stations. Limestone is converted to calcium sulphate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 6, 5:17*pm, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Got some plasterboard stored on its side in a dry garage for a couple of
years.
Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

My local tip has a covered over skip just for plasterboard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 00:59:51 -0700 (PDT), Ben Blaukopf wrote:

Is it likely to be useable or should I chuck it?

Hmmm...ISTR some issues over chucking it at the tip?

My local tip has a covered over skip just for plasterboard

Since 1 April 2009 Environment Agency rules state that gypsum based
waste should be collected seperately and sent for recovery. Bunging
it in landfill with biodegradeable waste can produces hydrogen
sulpide a smelly and toxic gas.

But not all HWRC's have a gypsum skip as there are so many different
ones these days they don't have the space. Several of the ones around
here don't and those that do have a note saying call first to make
sure there is space...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Shelf life of paint [email protected] UK diy 3 June 26th 07 08:02 PM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 02:34 PM
Shelf life of plaster Dan_Musicant Home Repair 29 September 11th 06 08:56 PM
Titebond Shelf Life Jerry Woodworking 4 May 19th 05 03:50 AM
Penetrating oil shelf life Norm Dion Home Repair 1 June 29th 04 01:42 AM