Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Shelf life of fuels

"Karl Townsend" wrote

Gasoline will keep a long time if you add Stabil product regularly.
May lose octane rating.

My fuel supplier has really warned me on diesel. Seems today's near
zero sulfur fuels like to grow a nasty slime. They have an additive
for this, but he has told me there have been several failures with
long term storage. So far, i've been able to back blend older stuff
(hi sulfur)and haven't had trouble.

FWIW, I topped up the tanks yesterday for $2.89/gal. I expect prices
to go to $#%^ next Wednesday.

Karl

I would anticipate drawing from the diesel tanks regularly for my tractor,
and diesel truck. There is a conflict on gasoline, as everything I use
around the house is low octane, and wifey's Bird is high. So, probably no
chance of saving higher octane fuel. And the lower one would be turned
over, but not as often as the diesel. Stabil (?) would be used. Is that
good, or is there something better?

Steve