Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How do you attach a 3-jaw chuck to a mill's table?

Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul C. Schiller" wrote in message
Hi,
So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?
Appreciate any wisdom offered.
PaulS

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/clamping_kit.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 9:40*am, "Paul C. Schiller" wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS

How does somebody who has a "clue" do it, or how do "I" do it?

Do you mean to just bolt the chuck down to use it as a round stock
vise?

I like to make things that I can repeat. I might cut some flat stock
with an alignment key I can place in the t-slots of the table, then
flip it over and mill it flat. Then cut a deep pocket in the "center"
to use for future zeroing. Then cut a shallower snug slip fit pocket
in the plate to set the chuck down into. Clamp, bolt, season to taste
from there.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 9, 9:47*am, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:
"Paul C. Schiller" wrote in ...

Hi,
So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?
Appreciate any wisdom offered.
PaulS

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/clamping_kit.jpg

Well, geez! If you want to do it the asy way. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 9:40 am, "Paul C. Schiller" wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?

-I like to make things that I can repeat.

In this case you can align the table, chuck and spindle very easily by
clamping an edge finder in both a mill collet and the chuck and moving
the chuck until the split edges align, or don't catch a fingernail
slid across in either direction. That's how I set my rotary table to
0,0.

It works on a lathe too.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul C. Schiller wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS

I have a backplate about 8" in diameter on the back of my 6 1/4" chuck
and just clamp it to the BP table with a couple of common clamping bars
with a bit of Al in between to stop marring of the upper surface. The
back of the backplate also has a removable spigot that locates in the
centre of my 10" rotary table and the back plate has 6 holes spaced
around it to allow it to be held down with T nuts and cap head screws in
the rotary table slots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 13:33:13 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 9:40 am, "Paul C. Schiller" wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?

-I like to make things that I can repeat.

In this case you can align the table, chuck and spindle very easily by
clamping an edge finder in both a mill collet and the chuck and moving
the chuck until the split edges align, or don't catch a fingernail
slid across in either direction. That's how I set my rotary table to
0,0.

It works on a lathe too.

How about drilling and doweling whatever you use as a mounting flange?
Pressfit in the flange, smooth slide into the table.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:40:31 -0700 (PDT), "Paul C. Schiller"
wrote:

Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS

Mine sits on a 1/2" Al plate which gets clamped to wherever by the
usual clamps.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012 12:40:31 PM UTC-4, Paul C. Schiller wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS

Hi,

Clamps on the chuck face ,or a custom size backplate to clamp onto.
Thanks for the ideas.
A backplate was the way I was leaning, as clamps could interfere with what I'll want to hold.

BTW, The below link is what peaked my interest in other ideas.
It's an IMTS show highlight video from Hurco, I have no connection with Hurco.

At about 2:15 into it, you can clearly see two 3-jaw chucks mounted to a mill table, but I can't for the life of me see how the heck they are held down. Can you?

http://www.hurco.com/en-us/about-hur...n=IMTS_rec ap

Sorry for the long link.

Thanks again,
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-10, Paul C. Schiller wrote:

[ ... ]

BTW, The below link is what peaked my interest in other ideas.
It's an IMTS show highlight video from Hurco, I have no connection with Hurco.

At about 2:15 into it, you can clearly see two 3-jaw chucks mounted to a mill table, but I can't for the life of me see how the heck they are held down. Can you?

http://www.hurco.com/en-us/about-hur...n=IMTS_rec ap

Hmm ... it might be a removable T-slotted plate with the chucks
bolted in place from the back.

Or -- it might be a flat backplate attached to two T-nuts (they
both seem to be centered over slots), and the chuck then bolted down to
the plates using through screws accessible from the front, as is common
for adjust-tru style chucks.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-10, Paul C. Schiller wrote:

Hmm ... it might be a removable T-slotted plate with the chucks
bolted in place from the back.

Or -- it might be a flat backplate attached to two T-nuts (they
both seem to be centered over slots), and the chuck then bolted down
the plates using through screws accessible from the front, as is
common
for adjust-tru style chucks.

Enjoy,
DoN.

If you want to be clever and mysterious you could thread a
center-drilled plug with the spindle thread and drop it over a tee
slot bolt. It might shift under a heavy cut.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-10-10, Paul C. Schiller wrote:

Hmm ... it might be a removable T-slotted plate with the chucks
bolted in place from the back.

Or -- it might be a flat backplate attached to two T-nuts (they
both seem to be centered over slots), and the chuck then bolted down
the plates using through screws accessible from the front, as is
common
for adjust-tru style chucks.

Enjoy,
DoN.

If you want to be clever and mysterious you could thread a
center-drilled plug with the spindle thread and drop it over a tee
slot bolt. It might shift under a heavy cut.

Unless you are careful to set up so the cutting forces would
tighten rather than loosen -- which would require a left-hand-cut
endmill in most cases -- unless you were milling out a cylindrical
pocket on center in the end of the workpiece. :-) Maybe even a square or
rectangular pocket as long as it is centered over the axis of the chuck.

The real question is: "Why try to be mysterious if it makes the
task harder?" :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How about making an oversized back plate. On it - have dog holes
for the table. And naturally the mounting holes for the chuck.

This way there isn't a rotation on a screw shaft.

Martin

wrote:

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 9:40 am, "Paul C. Schiller" wrote:
Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?

-I like to make things that I can repeat.

In this case you can align the table, chuck and spindle very easily by
clamping an edge finder in both a mill collet and the chuck and moving
the chuck until the split edges align, or don't catch a fingernail
slid across in either direction. That's how I set my rotary table to
0,0.

It works on a lathe too.

How about drilling and doweling whatever you use as a mounting flange?
Pressfit in the flange, smooth slide into the table.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Guys,

I can't see any sub plates or added backplates in the video, they might be there though.

Might also be through-bolted from the top. But can you really do that with a scroll chuck?

Anyway, I've not seen/heard anything that makes much sense to me yet.

A mystery indeed.

Asking Hurco (even if you could reach someone with the answer) just feels like defeat.

Machinists are supposed to be a bright bunch. I should be able to figure this out.

Could it be a plug that expands in the chuck's bore as you tighten a bolt through it into a tee-nut in the table's slot?

Plug's hight in the bore would have to be below the plane of the jaw slots. On my 6" 3-jaw that's about 1.25" of meat in the bore to grip.

Scratching my head on this one still...

PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Paul C. Schiller" wrote in message
Hi Guys,
I can't see any sub plates or added backplates in the video, they
might be there though.
Might also be through-bolted from the top. But can you really do
that with a scroll chuck?
Anyway, I've not seen/heard anything that makes much sense to me
yet....
PaulS

If the chuck has front mounting holes the tee-slot mounting plate
could be hidden beneath it.

My suggestion of a screw-in washer was facetious since it wouldn't
hold very well, but it could be practical with more work. Machine a
tongue on one end of the threaded plug that fits the tee slot and
drill the chuck backplate spigot radially for a screw that locks it to
the plug. Secure the plug to the table with a centered tee slot bolt
and nut. The tongue and locking screw keep the chuck from unscrewing.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 11, 10:02*am, "Paul C. Schiller" wrote:
Hi Guys,

I can't see any sub plates or added backplates in the video, they might be there though.

Might also be through-bolted from the top. *But can you really do that with a scroll chuck?

Anyway, I've not seen/heard anything that makes much sense to me yet.

A mystery indeed.

Asking Hurco (even if you could reach someone with the answer) *just feels like defeat.

Machinists are supposed to be a bright bunch. I should be able to figure this out.

Could it be a plug that expands in the chuck's bore as you tighten a bolt through it into a tee-nut in the table's slot?

Plug's hight in the bore would have to be below the plane of the jaw slots. *On my 6" 3-jaw that's about 1.25" of meat in the bore to grip.

Scratching my head on this one still...

PaulS

I use lathe chucks on a rotary table, table has a large hole in the
center extending past the T-slots. I just made a replica spindle
nose, slotted the bottom for a bar that fits the T-slot and use a bolt
through the center of the spindle nose clone to clamp the bar to the
table. I can spin any chuck I want onto the table, with or without
workpiece from lathe operations.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
I use lathe chucks on a rotary table, table has a large hole in the
center extending past the T-slots. I just made a replica spindle
nose, slotted the bottom for a bar that fits the T-slot and use a bolt
through the center of the spindle nose clone to clamp the bar to the
table. I can spin any chuck I want onto the table, with or without
workpiece from lathe operations.
Stan
===================

I have a BS-0 dividing head that doesn't yet have a chuck fitted:
http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/resour...00004996_L.jpg

The spindle thread is 1-1/2 - 8.

How careful do you have to be of the cutting force direction to keep
the chuck from unscrewing?

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:40:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
I use lathe chucks on a rotary table, table has a large hole in the
center extending past the T-slots. I just made a replica spindle
nose, slotted the bottom for a bar that fits the T-slot and use a bolt
through the center of the spindle nose clone to clamp the bar to the
table. I can spin any chuck I want onto the table, with or without
workpiece from lathe operations.
Stan
===================

I have a BS-0 dividing head that doesn't yet have a chuck fitted:
http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/resour...00004996_L.jpg

The spindle thread is 1-1/2 - 8.

How careful do you have to be of the cutting force direction to keep
the chuck from unscrewing?

jsw

In my experience Jim I have found that if the chuck is spun on smartly
it will be tight enough to stay threaded on when milling. When milling
on the OD of a part in the chuck the cutting forces will tend to
unscrew the chuck but it has not happened to me. And I've used screw
on chucks a lot when milling parts using the dividing head. In fact,
the problem I have is getting the chuck back off if I screw it on too
smartly. When I machine adapters to use chucks with threads I do all
the work in one chucking so that the shoulder that the chuck tightens
against is square with a line through the pitch diameter. This helps
greatly keeping the chuck on.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/11/2012 12:02 PM, Paul C. Schiller wrote:

Asking Hurco (even if you could reach someone with the answer) just feels like defeat.

Machinists are supposed to be a bright bunch. I should be able to figure this out.

Au contraire mon ami---clever, bright, intelligent people get the answer
to a problem the easiest way possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Usually I drill and tap for a setscrew in the hub area of the back plate, a
short piece of brass rod placed underneath the setscrew will keep it from
galling the spindle threads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote

Usually I drill and tap for a setscrew in the hub area of the back
plate, a short piece of brass rod placed underneath the setscrew
will keep it from galling the spindle threads.

I've done that to fix the dials on an Enco milling machine. The
separate plug didn't work so well for things that come apart. Even if
I don't lose it, it doesn't go back in the same way.

I had better results with a piece of hard solder under the setscrew,
which squishes out and locks itself into the threads so it stays in
place, but it doesn't completely release and the assembly is somewhat
difficult to unscrew.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi,

So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to your mill's table with three T-slots?

Appreciate any wisdom offered.

PaulS

Mount it to a bit of steel..then mount the backing plate to the t
slots

this assumes that you are mounting it face up....

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 12:47:30 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Paul C. Schiller" wrote in message
Hi,
So how do you prefer to attach a plain-back, 6-inch, 3-jaw chuck to
your mill's table with three T-slots?
Appreciate any wisdom offered.
PaulS

http://www.micro-machine-shop.com/clamping_kit.jpg

Ayup..that works too.

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
I use lathe chucks on a rotary table, table has a large hole in the
center extending past the T-slots. I just made a replica spindle
nose, slotted the bottom for a bar that fits the T-slot and use a bolt
through the center of the spindle nose clone to clamp the bar to the
table. I can spin any chuck I want onto the table, with or without
workpiece from lathe operations.
Stan
===================

I have a BS-0 dividing head that doesn't yet have a chuck fitted:
http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/resour...00004996_L.jpg

The spindle thread is 1-1/2 - 8.

How careful do you have to be of the cutting force direction to keep
the chuck from unscrewing?

jsw

Pretty careful. Tighten it up too loosely..and it will start to spin.
Tighten it up too much and it gets to be a pain in the ass to get it
off.

Now..if if you can find a 4degree Camlock chuck..thats very easy to
set up. Which is what Ive done. So I can use the chucks from the
Hardinge lathe on the mill. But then..I do have a half dozen 5C
vises..that hold a 5 C collet and allow you to put in the work and
open and close it with a lever.

This works Great for stuff under 1 1/16" inch or with expanded 5cs for
some bigger flat stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-ANGLE-COL...-/260366999475

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-HEAVY-DUT...-/350462906533

etc etc. That stuff goes for very very little money if one finds it
used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHASE-2-ll-T...-/170922840326

Hell..Ill bet Iggy has a number of them already, he could sell
cheaply.

Then too...if anyone can live with 5" of height...one can use one of
these to hold a chuck..the necks are threaded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horizontal-V...-/310357238089

See the black ring at the left end of the fixture..where the collet
goes? That spins off and it will screw into many chuck backs.. I cant
remember the thread pitch..shrug

Gunner