Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default How do you attach a 3-jaw chuck to a mill's table?

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 17:40:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Stanley Schaefer" wrote in message
I use lathe chucks on a rotary table, table has a large hole in the
center extending past the T-slots. I just made a replica spindle
nose, slotted the bottom for a bar that fits the T-slot and use a bolt
through the center of the spindle nose clone to clamp the bar to the
table. I can spin any chuck I want onto the table, with or without
workpiece from lathe operations.
Stan
===================

I have a BS-0 dividing head that doesn't yet have a chuck fitted:
http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/resour...00004996_L.jpg

The spindle thread is 1-1/2 - 8.

How careful do you have to be of the cutting force direction to keep
the chuck from unscrewing?

jsw

Pretty careful. Tighten it up too loosely..and it will start to spin.
Tighten it up too much and it gets to be a pain in the ass to get it
off.

Now..if if you can find a 4degree Camlock chuck..thats very easy to
set up. Which is what Ive done. So I can use the chucks from the
Hardinge lathe on the mill. But then..I do have a half dozen 5C
vises..that hold a 5 C collet and allow you to put in the work and
open and close it with a lever.

This works Great for stuff under 1 1/16" inch or with expanded 5cs for
some bigger flat stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-ANGLE-COL...-/260366999475

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-HEAVY-DUT...-/350462906533

etc etc. That stuff goes for very very little money if one finds it
used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHASE-2-ll-T...-/170922840326

Hell..Ill bet Iggy has a number of them already, he could sell
cheaply.

Then too...if anyone can live with 5" of height...one can use one of
these to hold a chuck..the necks are threaded

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Horizontal-V...-/310357238089

See the black ring at the left end of the fixture..where the collet
goes? That spins off and it will screw into many chuck backs.. I cant
remember the thread pitch..shrug

Gunner

Gunner

"The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered
by an occasional assassination." --Voltaire