Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Multifunction/oscillating pwr tool

Are the attachments [blades etc] on these tools interchangeable between
brands?

For the non pro occasional user is the HF worth the money or should one
pony up more for a name brand?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-22, Pilgrim wrote:
Are the attachments [blades etc] on these tools interchangeable between
brands?

Well ... my only experience with one is with a Rigid brand, so I
don't know what else fits the oscillating head.

But one of the blades with the kit was quite useful in cutting
into drywall for running additional wiring, as well as for cutting the
outlet holes in the drywall.

But -- there are several other heads for it which are quite
useful, too.

For the non pro occasional user is the HF worth the money or should one
pony up more for a name brand?

I don't know. How much less expensive is the HF one? For what
it is worth, I got mine at Home Depot during a pre-Christmas sale. I
like the lithium batteries, and the much faster charging for those
batteries than the older NiCad batteries. And, there is a pretty good
warranty for the batteries along with the tool.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pilgrim wrote:
Are the attachments [blades etc] on these tools interchangeable between
brands?

The early ones were not. However most of the blades sold now fit all the
different brands.

For the non pro occasional user is the HF worth the money or should one
pony up more for a name brand?

I have 2 of the HF units. One is electric the other air. Both work
really well as long as you use the correct blade for the job.

I have used the electric to cut out flooring, trim molding, and various
other tasks.
I have used the air for a lot more. Including cutting aluminum plate and
trimming stainless.

Thanks

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 15:40:35 -0700, Pilgrim
wrote:

Are the attachments [blades etc] on these tools interchangeable between
brands?

For the non pro occasional user is the HF worth the money or should one
pony up more for a name brand?

Thanks

I have the Canadian Tire corded version. Cost $35. It did a great job
sanding in nooks and crannies when the window sills needed
re-painting. many of the areas could not be reached with my orbital or
sheet sander. The sanding disks are expensive but you can improvise
them by cutting up larger hook-and-loop disks.

I cannot see the Fein tool doing a 10x better job for 10x the price
(although I do see that they are getting cheaper now).

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC