Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HF oscillating multifunction tool

It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it worth a
try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll have to
do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

-Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 23:22:58 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it worth a
try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll have to
do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

This might help: (note large drill)

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/doors/deadbolt/hole_cut/metal.htm

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

Yes.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Uno Uno is offline

On 11/27/2011 10:22 PM, zxcvbob wrote:
It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless? I
need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it worth a
try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll have to do
some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

-Bob

Bob, my short answer is yes, as I got my first god use out of a
pneutimatic ultimate tool this week.

I have attachments for it which I'll now try, but it's a process.

Peace. Love. Square root of three.
--
Uno
Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:
It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on
both sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it
worth a try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a
cold chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll
have to do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a
lot.
The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

1. The HF Multifunction Miracle Tool may or may not work for this
application. Most likely it will with the proper blade. You will NOT need to
do much, if any, filing. For the things it does effortlessly, the tool is
worth $300, not $20.

2. For your present job you could use a hole saw bit, but it has to be one
for cutting metal (as in circuit-breaker boxes).

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob wrote:

It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it worth a
try for $20?

Might cut it-- I can't imagine gutting a circle with one.

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll have to
do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

I'd spend the $20 on a *good* hole saw. Remember to keep the speed
slow-- and use some cutting oil.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

Yes. But buy the hole saw first if you only have one twenty.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

The HF tool makes straight line cuts. Which is totally not
suited for drilling for deadbolts.

I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's or Menards or other hardware
chain, and get a better brand of hole saw. I've got a hole
saw kit from HF, which I tried on aluminum, one time. The
hole saws were useless.

In support of my trade, I'll also reccomend you call a
locksmith, and pay him or her to do the install.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) Is it worth a
try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? I assume I'll have to
do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. Is it worth $20 anyway? Thanks.

-Bob

It's worth the $20, but I don't think it's right for this.
I'd scribe the hole, drill, then use a jigsaw with metal blade.
Watch you don't overcut one side.
Since the blade will flex, you'll might have to make the final cuts on
each side with a short blade.
You can get carbide hole saws - expensive.
But since the hole will be covered by an escutcheon anyway,
I wouldn't worry is it's a little rough.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The HF tool makes straight line cuts. Which is totally not
suited for drilling for deadbolts.

I'd go to Home Depot or Lowe's or Menards or other hardware
chain, and get a better brand of hole saw. I've got a hole
saw kit from HF, which I tried on aluminum, one time. The
hole saws were useless.

In support of my trade, I'll also reccomend you call a
locksmith, and pay him or her to do the install.

This was about an $8 hole saw, sold bundled with a spade bit for
installing locks. I don't remember what brand, I bought it at a
hardware store. It *looks* like it would cut metal, but I'm not sure
it would even cut soft pine.

I bought the lock from a locksmith and I was going to have him install
it, but that was going to cost almost $200. (without even looking at
the door; most of that was for the service call)

-Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen lock install kits. Sorry that yours didn't work
out. $200 sounds a bit expensive, to me. But you may be in
expensive part of the country. Makes the $20 hole saw a bit
more affordable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob"
wrote in message ...

In support of my trade, I'll also reccomend you call a
locksmith, and pay him or her to do the install.

This was about an $8 hole saw, sold bundled with a spade bit
for
installing locks. I don't remember what brand, I bought it
at a
hardware store. It *looks* like it would cut metal, but I'm
not sure
it would even cut soft pine.

I bought the lock from a locksmith and I was going to have
him install
it, but that was going to cost almost $200. (without even
looking at
the door; most of that was for the service call)

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 28, 12:22*am, zxcvbob wrote:
It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless?
I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt.
Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone laminated on both
sides with steel sheet (I think it might be stainless.) *Is it worth a
try for $20?

Or should I just drill a bunch of 3/32" holes, knock it out with a cold
chisel, and clean it up with a half-round file? *I assume I'll have to
do some filing if I use the oscillating multitool, but not a lot.

The hole saw I bought didn't do much except draw a circle for me and
make a pilot hole.

Let's say it doesn't work for this. *Is it worth $20 anyway? *Thanks.

-Bob

Yes, the MF tool is worth $20, but when mine breaks I'll replace it
with the $40(?) variable speed model. Depending on what my requirement
is, I might buy the VS model before my single speed fails because
there have been times when I've said "This tool works, but I wish I
could slow it down a bit."

A hole saw made for metal shouldn't have a problem cutting through a
steel-skinned door, although not knowing exactly what you have that's
tough to say from where I'm sitting.

The MF tool will indeed cut metal when a metal cutting blade is used,
although I don't know if I'd try cutting a circle in what is basically
a solid piece of material. That sounds like a function that doesn't
fit in the list of multi-functions that the tool can handle easily.

I suppose you could use one of the narrow plunge cutting blades and
make a series of flat plunge cuts, but that sounds like a lot of work
and something that would be hard to keep straight as you enter one
side of the door and exit the other.

I've used a plunge cut blade to cut through nails so I could remove
some window stops. Even though the blades said they were for metal,
the teeth wore down fairly quickly. I had to keep moving to different
sections of the blade since the nails would flatten a small section of
the blade and make it useless. Still, even though I went through 2
blades, it was the easiest tool to use for the job.

For your project, I'd buy a decent hole saw made for metal and use
that.

I'd then buy the VS multi-function tool anyway. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uno wrote in :

[...]

Ahhh, the magic number for 3 phase power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/28/2011 10:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've seen lock install kits. Sorry that yours didn't work
out. $200 sounds a bit expensive, to me. But you may be in
expensive part of the country. Makes the $20 hole saw a bit
more affordable.

I once installed a lot of automatic doors and store fronts constructed
of aluminum, I cut in a lot and modified a lot of locking systems. It's
a bit different when you do it in metal, of course I've installed access
control systems on wooden doors too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you use HF oscillating tool?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message ...

I once installed a lot of automatic doors and store fronts
constructed
of aluminum, I cut in a lot and modified a lot of locking
systems. It's
a bit different when you do it in metal, of course I've
installed access
control systems on wooden doors too. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/29/2011 7:03 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Did you use HF oscillating tool?

HF wasn't around back then but we had a similar store in town at the
time that sold almost identical imported tools. ^_^

TDD