Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Miniature Extended Reach End Mills

Ok, who really actually stocks and sells them. Particularly miniature
extended reach. Kyocera seemed like the answer for a while since I could
buy direct, but they take days to respond to smallish order requests, often
do not answer the phone, and when they do finally process the order they
take a couple days to ship.

Arch, Microcut, Atlas, and Harvey all have products that might work, but I
have not been able to find anybody with a decent on-line interactive system
where I check that they actually have them, has a stock of other than the
most common sizes (many don't stock any), and ships in a timely manner.

MSC has a decent inventory system integrated with their on-line store and
shipment times are pretty darn reasonable, but they don't stock anything but
the common sizes. Hardly anything in the miniature extended reach. Yes,
they are a distributor for some of the companies that make the stuff I want,
but have you ever tried to order something that isn't in the catalog from
one of their scripted order takers. Yuck! Even once you have already done
all the work for them you often have to convince them to actually help you.

Its so frustrating to try and order what I need sometimes that I usually
check Fleabay first to see if anybody is offering what I need right now. I
literally get better service from most Fleabay vendors than some of the
"professional" tool companies.

I remember the day I found out Motion Industries sells some of this stuff,
and that there was a local store. I also remember how frustrated I was when
I found out they basically didn't stock "anything" locally...

I do have some Micro Cut stuff coming to fill my current needs, but like
every other vendor... I ordered it last week and I won't see it until next
week. Obviously they don't stock any of the stuff I needed either. Not
sure it would have shipped yet if I hadn't dropped the reseller a line this
morning and asked if they could provide tracking.

Grrrrr.....

I've gotten to hate picking up the phone to try and place an order for
anything. The person at the other end just wants you to give them a part
number and punch it in. Why bother? Why employ somebody to just sit there
and introduce another vector for error?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

McMaster, McMaster, McMaster...

They have by far the best online system to find what you are looking for
and all you have to do is click on the part number and it will tell you
if it's in stock and when it can ship. Like a 1/32" dia 3/32" LOC 2.25"
OAL length cobalt steel two flute end mill which shows in stock.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I have purchased a couple long reach end mills from McMaster, but they
really don't have a big selection of the miniature long reach stuff listed
either. Their on-line inventory system is quite good though. Every bit as
good as MSC's.

I do often forget to check them for stuff though. I bought a bunch of screw
on handles from an Ebay vendor once at what I thought was a good price, only
to find I could have sold them at a tidy profit at that price if I had
bought them from McMaster. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
... McMaster ... Their on-line inventory system is quite good though.
Every bit as good as MSC's.

Oh ... oh ... oh ... Are you trolling?! MSC as good as McMaster!?!
They're not in the same league! McMaster is sweet, sweet, sweet ... MSC
SUCKS!

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-19, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
... McMaster ... Their on-line inventory system is quite good though.
Every bit as good as MSC's.

Oh ... oh ... oh ... Are you trolling?! MSC as good as McMaster!?!
They're not in the same league! McMaster is sweet, sweet, sweet ... MSC
SUCKS!

MSC has a new system in the building. They know that what they
have is not the best.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:07:43 AM UTC-7, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote: ... McMaster ... Their on-line inventory system is quite good though. Every bit as good as MSC's. Oh ... oh ... oh ... Are you trolling?! MSC as good as McMaster!?! They're not in the same league! McMaster is sweet, sweet, sweet ... MSC SUCKS! Bob

Oh, Oh, Oh,... are YOU trolling? Neither McMaster or MSC has what I want. Both are difficult to order something from that isn't in the on-line catalog, both have more order takers than peopel with actual knowledge. Both have websites that allow you to search by different options to see if they do sell what I want. Yes, MSC has issues as a company, and I despise the fact that often when I find a website for a company that looks like it might be a winner I get redirected to the MSC website.

However, when I have actually ordered from either company I have received what I ordered very quickly, and McMaster's website does some strange things as well. Like appearing to allow purchase options on checkout that you don't actually have.

Regardless, that is not exactly what I said, and it doesn't help me find an easy way to buy what I need in this case, but thank you for the so insightful and judgemental non-helpful response. I do so appreciate your feedback even if its not of any use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:25:35 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:07:43 AM UTC-7, Bob Engelhardt wrote: Bob La Londe wrote: ... McMaster ... Their on-line inventory system is quite good though. Every bit as good as MSC's. Oh ... oh ... oh ... Are you trolling?! MSC as good as McMaster!?! They're not in the same league! McMaster is sweet, sweet, sweet ... MSC SUCKS! Bob Oh, Oh, Oh,... are YOU trolling? Neither McMaster or MSC has what I want. Both are difficult to order something from that isn't in the on-line catalog, both have more order takers than peopel with actual knowledge. Both have websites that allow you to search by different options to see if they do sell what I want. Yes, MSC has issues as a company, and I despise the fact that often when I find a website for a company that looks like it might be a winner I get redirected to the MSC website. However, when I have actually ordered from either company I have received what I ordered very quickly, and McMaster's website does some strange things as well. Like appearing to allow purchase options on checkout that you don't actually have. Regardless, that is not exactly what I said, and it doesn't help me find an easy way to buy what I need in this case, but thank you for the so insightful and judgemental non-helpful response. I do so appreciate your feedback even if its not of any use.

***

Speaking of interesting processes with McMaster's website... How about their lack of a real time shipping calculation or and use of preauthorization instead of using a real time gateway.

They do have a huge inventory, and they do ship quickly, but they have their things they don't do well too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-20, Bob La Londe wrote:
On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:07:43 AM UTC-7, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote: ... McMaster ... Their on-line inventory system
is quite good though. Every bit as good as MSC's. Oh ... oh ... oh ...
Are you trolling?! MSC as good as McMaster!?! They're not in the same
league! McMaster is sweet, sweet, sweet ... MSC SUCKS! Bob

Oh, Oh, Oh,... are YOU trolling? Neither McMaster or MSC has what I
want. Both are difficult to order something from that isn't in the
on-line catalog, both have more order takers than peopel with actual
knowledge.

I've had pretty good luck with MSC for non-stocked items. I
needed a set of chasers for a small Geometric die head (metric thread,
and they did not stock those) and they said (hold on for a few minutes
and I'll call you back.

Then they did, they had TRW on line, who was quite willing and
able to make a set of chasers for me -- and asked what metal I wanted to
cut, so they could give it the right grind for the intended metal.

Yes, it was more expensive than the others of that size with
inch threads -- but it was about on a line with chasers the next size
up, so it was not too bad as a special.

Both have websites that allow you to search by different
options to see if they do sell what I want.

At present, the MSC web site is a bit better than it used to be,
but the dead tree catalog (the "Big Book") is were to go for serious
searching.

However, they told me (when I made a comment about how I used
the Big Book for finding part numbers, and the web site for finding the
current prices), that they had a new website with a new search engine
being developed, and that things should be really improved. She
included that she had a chance to test it herself, and it helps *her* to
find parts.

And the order takers tend to be pretty good at recognizing
things -- and glad to learn new names for given objects. And, they have
a tech staff to handle the stranger things.

I deal a lot less with McMaster Carr, because of their rather
miserly approach to giving out catalogs. I have one which is now about
ten years old to use as a starting point if I have to use them instead
of MSC.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

On 2012-09-20, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I used to have a McMaster catalog, but I haven't looked at it in years
since there web site sets the gold standard for ease of use. Even if my
search isn't perfect it finds me something close, then I click for the
catalog page and find exactly what I want nearby.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I have about come to the conclusion that what I want does not exist.