Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Corporate cat

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16116 wrote in
:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Hungry ones. Give the cat just enough cat kibble so that it knows it has a steady supply of
food, but not so much that it's too sated to hunt.

Best to get a female (it won't scent-mark your equipment).

Don't worry about specific breeds. Any cat will do; they all hunt mice. And don't pay for one,
either; you should have *no* trouble finding someone who's happy to give you as many
cats as you're willing to take. Try searching craigslist for "free cat" -- I get about a dozen hits
in the Indianapolis area. IIRC, you're in metro Chicago, aren't you? I'd be surprised if you
don't get at least fifty.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Doug Miller wrote:
Hungry ones. Give the cat just enough cat kibble so that it knows it has a steady supply of
food, but not so much that it's too sated to hunt.

Not true (well, at least not in my experience). We had a great hunter*
who always had a bowl of food to eat at his pleasure. My take was that
he hunted for the pleasure of it. I.e., because it was in his nature to
do so. Neighbors with cats say the same.

We did have a cat that was a terrible hunter. She was a pure bred,
whose ancestors had not been outside for generations! Confirming what
I've heard that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers.

So, I'd recommend getting a kitten (or 2) whose mother was a hunter.

Bob

* - he caught and ate gray squirrels!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 17:05:19 -0500, Ignoramus16116
wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

If the'yre only mice, traps work well. If they're rats, wear latex
gloves whenever you touch the trap.

Set mouse traps along every wall. Bait them with garlic oil or peanut
butter or -nothing-! Put them against the wall where the mice run,
with the set bail away from the wall and the trigger closest to the
wall and they'll run through them even if they aren't interested in
the food. They move that way, close to walls every time, with only
very infrequent dashes across empty spaces without walls. I catch more
mice in empty traps than in baited ones.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Imagine the smell of cat **** every day, all day, Ig. Pets suck, even
in huge warehouses.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2012 4:24 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Hungry ones. Give the cat just enough cat kibble so that it knows it
has a steady supply of food, but not so much that it's too sated to hunt.

Not true (well, at least not in my experience). We had a great hunter*
who always had a bowl of food to eat at his pleasure. My take was that
he hunted for the pleasure of it. I.e., because it was in his nature to
do so. Neighbors with cats say the same.

We did have a cat that was a terrible hunter. She was a pure bred,
whose ancestors had not been outside for generations! Confirming what
I've heard that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers.

So, I'd recommend getting a kitten (or 2) whose mother was a hunter.

Bob

* - he caught and ate gray squirrels!

I forget where I read that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers, but
I'm pretty sure it's true. Kittens that are taken at very young age
rarely make effective hunters.

The best hunting cat I ever had was a large neutered male. One summer
he must have killed and left 20 or more varmints in the back yard:
pocket birds, gophers, mice, rats, moles, a squirrel. Twice he caught
hummingbirds, one of them two at once. He seemed to lose interest when
he got older, but one time at about age 13 he caught a big rat in the
house and just thrashed it to death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

If the'yre only mice, traps work well. If they're rats, wear latex
gloves whenever you touch the trap.

Why? Wouldn't thorough washing of hands after handling the traps suffice?

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:29:01 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

Imagine the smell of cat **** every day, all day, Ig. Pets suck, even
in huge warehouses.

Amen to that. I am having an on-going battle with a feline who chooses
to crap on our path followed by a half-hearted attempt at burying it.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

What usenet posters are least troublemakers and most prone to stay off
politics in a metalworking group? It's more or less the same.

Individuals vary. Generally speaking, most any "purebred" is unlikely to
have the upbringing required for maximum efficiency. Not much to to with
the breeds, a lot to do with the early environment and teaching
opportunities.

You don't need to and it's not efficient to starve them - they hunt for
the hunt. One of the best ratters I've met was a 30-lb tub of lard.
Being fat did not impact his desire to kill rodents, including bitg
ones, a bit. A starving cat that's a crappy hunter will not magically
become a good hunter. If you can source a cat who's mother happens to be
a good hunter and a good teacher, great - if you can find a well-behaved
adult cat that's a good hunter, irrespective of it's mother, great. Male
or female should not matter much for "marking the territory" if you get
them fixed, which should be a part of your employee benefit plan for
them, along with vaccinations and worming. You are likely to have
happier, better adjusted feline employees if you get two, rather than
one. If that seems like too much trouble/expense, stick to traps, and
put out a lot of them.

You also need to make sure that any traps you set when you have feline
employees are not set in such a way that they can get a leg broken in
them.

Other than that, plug the holes and control food waste.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2012 3:18 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
wrote in
:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Hungry ones. Give the cat just enough cat kibble so that it knows it has a steady supply of
food, but not so much that it's too sated to hunt.

Best to get a female (it won't scent-mark your equipment).

Don't worry about specific breeds. Any cat will do; they all hunt mice. And don't pay for one,
either; you should have *no* trouble finding someone who's happy to give you as many
cats as you're willing to take. Try searching craigslist for "free cat" -- I get about a dozen hits
in the Indianapolis area. IIRC, you're in metro Chicago, aren't you? I'd be surprised if you
don't get at least fifty.

Excuse me, but females certainly do pee on everything to advertize they
are ready. When she is spayed, she will still do it for 1-2 years.
Females don't spray quite as high as males, which can hit 10 ft or more.

If you get a cat, try for one that is part Siamese. They are by far the
most intelligent and best mousers. Ours also gets rid of rabbits in the
garden.

May I also suggest you invest in a large wire cage for the cat during
the time your business is in operation. They love to get in front of
moving equipment and then lay down, expecting to be picked up. Oops, too
late!

Litter boxes will tell you when it's time to replace the clay pellets.

Traps are a whole lot less trouble!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2012 6:05 PM, Ignoramus16116 wrote:
We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Get a 5 gallon bucket half filled with water. Tie a string tightly to
the handle where it attaches to the bucket Poke a hole in the bottom and
top of a soup can and drain the soup. Place the can on the string and
smear it with peanut butter. Take a 2' long or so piece of wood and
lead it against the bucket near the string.

Mice will smell the peanut butter, walk up the wood and onto the soup
can. The can will roll due to their weight and they will fall into the
bucket and drown. I've caught as many as ten in one night. (not at the
factory but in a Canadian fishing camp)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Russian Blue of course, like my Sophie, super intelligent and
affectionate. She stays indoors so she doesn't hunt regularly, but in
the winter when mice tend to get in the garage or enclosed porch she
will get them in short order.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

http://wpnet.us/100_2726_small.jpg
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We have hunting cats here - they walk in and stay a while. We have
3 buildings and one is prime for mice - being old wood.

Cats hunt lots of good stuff. They even hunt snakes. I haven't seen
a garden snake all summer. Suspect the heat ran them to the creek.
But then maybe some got eaten.

I know our king snake is healthy. He likes copperheads.

Martin

Doug Miller wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On traps I always put peanut butter and light it
with a torch - burning off the scent of man and the
oil spreads in the area to draw them in.
Oh - I use a tie wrap twisted on the trigger and
have that coated. They can't let go.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

If Decon placed in various places doesnt do the job, snag a few feral
cats..or semi feral cats. They will do the job nicely

Now..they may wind up ****ing in the corners and whatnot..so Id
strongly suggest you put a cat box somewhere that they can find.

A cat is a cat....some domesticated are good mousers..others...will go
to sleep with a mouse cuddled next to them.

If anyone in your tract has any warehouse cats...see if they have any
kittens that are about 4-6 months old. And get a pair of them. A cat
by itself is a very sad animal.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

[...]

If the idea is to get rid of the mice with the least fuss and bother,
hire an exterminator. If you want an excuse to get a cat it's another
story. But unless you can catch a feral and persuade it to (a) stay and
(b) not kill you, there's no guarantee that any given cat is going to
have any interest in catching mice. Some are worse than useless--one I
knew not only did not kill the mice, but brought in more from outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

I forget where I read that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers, but
I'm pretty sure it's true.

Oh, absolutely true! We had a group of feral cats that invaded the
neighborhood for a while. I got to see the mom stalking something, and
the kittens were following her every move. The mom caught everything from
chipmunks to rabbits!

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Set mouse traps along every wall. Bait them with garlic oil or peanut
butter or -nothing-!

I use the Victor traps with the metal bait holder, these are the best
if you can still get them. I put a chunk of peanut from chunky peanut
butter in the rolled-up part of the bait holder, there's no way they can
get that peanut chunk out of there without tripping the trap. Smooth
peanut butter they will just lick off without triggering it.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/17/2012 8:19 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
George Plimpton wrote:

I forget where I read that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers, but
I'm pretty sure it's true.

Oh, absolutely true! We had a group of feral cats that invaded the
neighborhood for a while. I got to see the mom stalking something, and
the kittens were following her every move. The mom caught everything from
chipmunks to rabbits!

Now I remember where it was - it was an excellent PBS documentary on
cats about 20 years ago. It showed cats that had never been taught to
hunt by their mothers, and when mice were put into an enclosure with the
cats, nothing happened.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

I forget where I read that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers, but
I'm pretty sure it's true.

Oh, absolutely true! We had a group of feral cats that invaded the
neighborhood for a while. I got to see the mom stalking something, and
the kittens were following her every move. The mom caught everything from
chipmunks to rabbits!

Now I remember where it was - it was an excellent PBS documentary on
cats about 20 years ago. It showed cats that had never been taught to
hunt by their mothers, and when mice were put into an enclosure with the
cats, nothing happened.

An excellent metaphor for how people learn (to hunt/hate/hurt?)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

I forget where I read that cats are taught to hunt by their mothers,
but
I'm pretty sure it's true.

Oh, absolutely true! We had a group of feral cats that invaded the
neighborhood for a while. I got to see the mom stalking something, and
the kittens were following her every move. The mom caught everything
from
chipmunks to rabbits!

Now I remember where it was - it was an excellent PBS documentary on
cats about 20 years ago. It showed cats that had never been taught to
hunt by their mothers, and when mice were put into an enclosure with the
cats, nothing happened.

An excellent metaphor for how people learn (to hunt/hate/hurt?)

I don't think it's a very good metaphor at all. People are capable of
independent thinking and don't blindly follow their parents' lead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 20:29:25 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 9/17/2012 6:05 PM, Ignoramus16116 wrote:
We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Get a 5 gallon bucket half filled with water. Tie a string tightly to
the handle where it attaches to the bucket Poke a hole in the bottom and
top of a soup can and drain the soup. Place the can on the string and
smear it with peanut butter. Take a 2' long or so piece of wood and
lead it against the bucket near the string.

Mice will smell the peanut butter, walk up the wood and onto the soup
can. The can will roll due to their weight and they will fall into the
bucket and drown. I've caught as many as ten in one night. (not at the
factory but in a Canadian fishing camp)

My Grandfather's record in the hunting camp (November) was 56 the
first night. Second week of the hunt h got three mice all week.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 17, 2012 9:51:56 PM UTC-4, Gunner Asch wrote:

A cat is a cat....some domesticated are good mousers..others...will go
to sleep with a mouse cuddled next to them.

O fer crissakes, here I am agreeing with Gunner about something. I've had cats for many, many years. We found one of them sitting in the corner, licking a mouse as if he was bathing a kitten. Another one is the self-appointed cat in charge of killing anything that moves.

They have personalities, that's for sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

[...]

Based on nothing but your ideology. You disagreement has neither theory
nor empirical observation behind it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

http://wpnet.us/100_2726_small.jpg

Wow, looks great, a rare moment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

If Decon placed in various places doesnt do the job, snag a few feral
cats..or semi feral cats. They will do the job nicely

Now..they may wind up ****ing in the corners and whatnot..so Id
strongly suggest you put a cat box somewhere that they can find.

A cat is a cat....some domesticated are good mousers..others...will go
to sleep with a mouse cuddled next to them.

If anyone in your tract has any warehouse cats...see if they have any
kittens that are about 4-6 months old. And get a pair of them. A cat
by itself is a very sad animal.

Gunner

When we got out latest two shop kittens from the APL, one of the girls
played with them with a cat toy that was basically a stick with a string
and feathers tied to the end of the string. ...and then she was
surprised when the cats could catch birds with deadly efficiency. She
said with horror: "Oh my God, I've created monsters!" They also had
toys that emulated mice. I haven't seen a live mouse in here since.
Birds seem to have avoided the building for hundreds of yards in all
directions.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Jon Elson wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Set mouse traps along every wall. Bait them with garlic oil or peanut
butter or -nothing-!

I use the Victor traps with the metal bait holder, these are the best
if you can still get them. I put a chunk of peanut from chunky peanut
butter in the rolled-up part of the bait holder, there's no way they can
get that peanut chunk out of there without tripping the trap. Smooth
peanut butter they will just lick off without triggering it.

This is what I do, but with a proviso:

The as-purchased traps are too insensitive to catch timid mice, which
can lick the bait off the trigger without setting the trap off.

The solution is to bent the vertical flag on the trigger towards
perpendicular (to the top of the trap), thus increasing sensitivity. I
go all the way I can, such that one cannot set the trap and set it down.
One must instead put the trap down and then carefully set it.

One other thing - put a lanyard on the trap, and tie it to something
immovable, so a mouse caught by a leg cannot drag the trap away and die
somewhere hard to get to.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-09-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus16116 wrote:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

http://wpnet.us/100_2726_small.jpg

Wow, looks great, a rare moment.

Yes, I have a series of pics from that time, she walked past me carrying
the mouse so I grabbed the camera and followed.

BTW, I sent you an email with a couple quick Linux questions a while
back. I didn't hear back so I don't know if it got through. What email
should I use?

Thanks,

Pete C.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

My other mouse trap is a paper plate with a loop of duct tape and baited
with peanut butter. That's when you prefer them live!

I got one with an empty potato chip bag, and a computer. It had
chewed itself free from a glue trap, so I put the bag on the floor and
waited till it took the bait. Then I dropped a scrap computer case on
it.

Another that got free from a trap fell for a similar fate. Potato
chip bag, a spray bottle of bleach, and one with ammonia. When it went
into the bag, I gave a couple shots of each, and closed the bag. It
quit moving in a couple seconds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

When we got out latest two shop kittens from the APL, one of the girls
played with them with a cat toy that was basically a stick with a string
and feathers tied to the end of the string. ...and then she was
surprised when the cats could catch birds with deadly efficiency. She
said with horror: "Oh my God, I've created monsters!" They also had
toys that emulated mice. I haven't seen a live mouse in here since.
Birds seem to have avoided the building for hundreds of yards in all
directions.

Buy the girls a couple 'leftists on a string' and see what happens.
;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

George Plimpton wrote:

[...]

Nor does it need any such thing.
That's the way my parent's raised me...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The Final Mousolution?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Another that got free from a trap fell for a similar fate. Potato
chip bag, a spray bottle of bleach, and one with ammonia. When it went
into the bag, I gave a couple shots of each, and closed the bag. It
quit moving in a couple seconds.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

The Final Mousolution?

It thought it was Mighty Mouse!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:42:48 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

My other mouse trap is a paper plate with a loop of duct tape and baited
with peanut butter. That's when you prefer them live!

I got one with an empty potato chip bag, and a computer. It had
chewed itself free from a glue trap, so I put the bag on the floor and
waited till it took the bait. Then I dropped a scrap computer case on
it.

Another that got free from a trap fell for a similar fate. Potato
chip bag, a spray bottle of bleach, and one with ammonia. When it went
into the bag, I gave a couple shots of each, and closed the bag. It
quit moving in a couple seconds.

Wouldnt it have been more humane to simply smash the bag on the floor
a couple times?

Or strike it with a large encyclopedia?

WMDs against mice...vicious!!

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:18:30 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

Ignoramus16116 wrote in
m:

We discovered that have some mice in the warehouse.

I set up some mouse traps, but I doubt that it will take care of the
problem fully. Maybe we should get a cat here. If so, what cats are
least troublemakers and good at catching mice?

Hungry ones. Give the cat just enough cat kibble so that it knows it has a steady supply of
food, but not so much that it's too sated to hunt.

Best to get a female (it won't scent-mark your equipment).

Don't worry about specific breeds. Any cat will do; they all hunt mice. And don't pay for one,
either; you should have *no* trouble finding someone who's happy to give you as many
cats as you're willing to take. Try searching craigslist for "free cat" -- I get about a dozen hits
in the Indianapolis area. IIRC, you're in metro Chicago, aren't you? I'd be surprised if you
don't get at least fifty.

Hungry cats will usually only hunt enough to satisfy hunger and then
sleep, up to 16 hours a day, the rest of the time. On the other hand,
well fed cats will spend much more time hunting just for fun. I have
personal experience with this, having owned cats for over 50 years.
Female cats often make the best hunters, fixed male cats will also
hunt quite a bit and will usually not spray, and will be friendly to,
sometimes even protective of, the owner. I shouldn't really say owner,
more like trained servent.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

My other mouse trap is a paper plate with a loop of duct tape and baited
with peanut butter. That's when you prefer them live!

I got one with an empty potato chip bag, and a computer. It had
chewed itself free from a glue trap, so I put the bag on the floor and
waited till it took the bait. Then I dropped a scrap computer case on
it.

Another that got free from a trap fell for a similar fate. Potato
chip bag, a spray bottle of bleach, and one with ammonia. When it went
into the bag, I gave a couple shots of each, and closed the bag. It
quit moving in a couple seconds.

Wouldnt it have been more humane to simply smash the bag on the floor
a couple times?

Or strike it with a large encyclopedia?

WMDs against mice...vicious!!

They were the only thing at hand, and it was freaking out in that
bag. I figured that it was more humane to kill it quickly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

When we got out latest two shop kittens from the APL, one of the girls
played with them with a cat toy that was basically a stick with a string
and feathers tied to the end of the string. ...and then she was
surprised when the cats could catch birds with deadly efficiency. She
said with horror: "Oh my God, I've created monsters!" They also had
toys that emulated mice. I haven't seen a live mouse in here since.
Birds seem to have avoided the building for hundreds of yards in all
directions.

Buy the girls a couple 'leftists on a string' and see what happens.
;-)

What an inhumane thing to do...to CATS!

THE FUTURE OF CORPORATE AMERICA paul Home Repair 0 February 24th 12 11:48 PM
Cheapest way to put up a corporate sign Ignoramus1471 Metalworking 15 August 9th 11 01:07 PM
OT - New corporate buzz phrase John UK diy 5 February 27th 10 06:32 PM
Corporate executives Ron Woodworking 0 September 24th 08 09:26 PM
cutting US corporate taxes Wes[_2_] Metalworking 7 August 14th 08 06:03 AM