Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - New corporate buzz phrase

When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories, written
in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more rigorous system
could raise many more false positives, which are also potentially very
harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging the *reporting*).

More on this theme in Ben Goldacre's excellent book.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"newshound" writes:

"John" wrote in message
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories, written
in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more rigorous system
could raise many more false positives, which are also potentially very
harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging the *reporting*).

It's also important to realise that the correct balance is not
when no mistakes are made, but when the number is small. That
doesn't mean mistakes should be ignored or accepted, but that
if you clamp down to the point where there are none, you are
almost certainly doing more overall damage than if there are
a small number.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
"John" wrote in message
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories,
written in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more
rigorous system could raise many more false positives, which are also
potentially very harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging
the *reporting*).

Another slightly unfair thing caused by lazy journo's is that they never
examine the resources Social Services are given to deal with these problems.
SWMBO works (in an admin role) for local social services. Caseload has
increased by 70% in 10 years, resources haven't.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, John
wrote:
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

Don't you believe it!

Lessons *may* have been learned by the individuals concerned - but they'll
soon move to other jobs and be replaced by others who will have to learn
them all over again!

Besides which, the expression is usually a euphemism which actually means
"we fouled up because we failed to take the blindingly obvious correct
course"!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:23:20 -0000, "newshound"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
When something goes wrong, get the top boss to say "Lessons have been
learned" - (often used by Social Services departments - but car
manufacturers are catching on.)

With so many lessons being learned we may soon have no errors.

The slightly unfair thing about some of the social services stories, written
in hindsight, is that they ignore the point that a more rigorous system
could raise many more false positives, which are also potentially very
harmful. (Not defending errors, rather challenging the *reporting*).

More on this theme in Ben Goldacre's excellent book.

Whenever that phrase is trotted out, I am inclined to think that the
management is operating in a 'trial and error' mode - and at the
public's expense. It's just a pathetic excuse really.

DJ

Corporate executives Ron Woodworking 0 September 24th 08 10:26 PM
cutting US corporate taxes Wes[_2_] Metalworking 7 August 14th 08 07:03 AM
CORPORATE UNIFORMS AND WORKWEAR [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 22nd 08 10:12 AM
Is there a Corporate Website for Behlen's products? [email protected] Woodworking 3 November 28th 05 06:55 PM