Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum rod in nylon bushing produce much heat?

http://howto.homedepot.com/videos/wa...l-Trimmer.html

That's my two-stroke 21.2 CC grass trimmer.

I'm replacing the outer shaft and the inner driveshaft, with a
straight aluminum tube and a 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rod for
the driveshaft.

The rod will be rotating inside of nylon bushings. The nylon
bushings will be stuck inside of what Lowe's describes as "1/2" ID
PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing". So that the bushings are
held snugly inside of the aluminum tube.

FWIW. Another way Lowe's describes that spacer tubing is "1/2 ID
Braided PVC Tubing". It's a flexible clear plastic tubing with
reinforcing material inside.

Question: Is the aluminum rod spinning inside of the nylon
bushings going to cause the bushings to get hot enough to melt the
plastic tubing, with everything closed inside of the aluminum tube?

Thanks.

--
Everything fits perfectly, I'm just hoping it doesn't melt.
Aluminum bushing material pickings are slim at Lowe's, so I'm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 10, 3:25*pm, John Doe wrote:

Question: Is the aluminum rod spinning inside of the nylon
bushings going to cause the bushings to get hot enough to melt the
plastic tubing, with everything closed inside of the aluminum tube?

Thanks.

What is the rpm of the shaft? How hot is it when you are using it?
How long do you intend to use it at one time? Are you using any
lubricant? In short you do not provide enough information for someone
to answer your question.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message

Question: Is the aluminum rod spinning inside of the nylon
bushings going to cause the bushings to get hot enough to melt the
plastic tubing, with everything closed inside of the aluminum tube?

If you would break down and buy a small lathe you wouldn't be
constantly having these problems.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Your design is not really clear. Are there two bushings? How are the
bushings held in alignment? If they are not well aligned, the friction will
be quite large and the bushings will wear.

However Nylon is generally only used for low RPMs. You might have a problem
with a line trimmer. Here is a link that has a table of maximum speeds and
loads for Nylon and Delrin bushings
http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/...n/L12565_7.pdf

Another problem is nylon expands in wet environments and will make your
bushing loosen up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/10/2012 2:24 PM, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Spin it fast enough then yes, of course.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:
http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/...n/L12565_7.pdf

quote
Soft steel or stainless steel, as well as all non-ferrous metals
do not run well with plastic bearings, even those with
a socalled ‘‘self-lubricating’’ filler. It is only a question of
load, speed and time until wear increases rapidly, leading
to premature failure
/quote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" anorton removethis.ix.netcom.com wrote:

Another problem is nylon expands in wet environments and will
make your bushing loosen up.

I thought that was a property of UHMW or HDPE plastic, not nylon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
"anorton" anorton removethis.ix.netcom.com wrote:

Another problem is nylon expands in wet environments and will
make your bushing loosen up.

I thought that was a property of UHMW or HDPE plastic, not nylon.

Backwards. Chemically Nylon is a protein, polyethlene is a wax.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

anorton wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
[...]

Depend on how the nylon is constrained. The swelling due to water
absorption can tighten the bushing leading to seizure. My neighbour had
this happen on a prototype using a nylon bearing and while all was well
when installed after sitting in a damp environment over a weekend the
mechanism couldn't be moved due to swelling of the nylon.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Well if you're planning on running the rpms anything over idle the
bushings might last 10 seconds before they melt.

You would be better off using round rod and small bearings. Easy enough
to square the end with a file.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:07:21 -0700, "anorton"
wrote:

Here is a link that has a table of maximum speeds and
loads for Nylon and Delrin bushings

http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/...n/L12565_7.pdf

Thanks!!!

Gunner

--
"Confronting Liberals with the facts of reality is very much akin to
clubbing baby seals. It gets boring after a while, but because Liberals are
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:24:59 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

[...]

Running aluminum in nylon without lubrication will result in very
short bushing life. Aluminum running in nylon even with lube will
still have a pretty short life. I know you are trying to keep the
weight down but for long bushing life you really need to run a hard
material against the nylon. A hard anodized aluminum shaft might work
but you're not gonna be paying to get your shaft hard anodized. Can
you use a dowell pin in place of the part of the shaft that runs in
the nylon? Frankly, I wouldn't use nylon in your application. I would
use Delrin AF. You can get sample bushings for free from some
manufacturers. Can you Loctite a hardened or even soft steel bushing
over the aluminum shaft where the shaft runs in the nylon? And are you
really stuck using nylon? That shaft is gonna be spinning about 10,000
rpm which translates to 654 feet per minute which translates to
sliding some aluminum across some nylon the length of a football field
in less than 30 seconds.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 19:24:59 +0000, John Doe wrote:
[re bushings for drive shaft for inline skating push stick]
http://howto.homedepot.com/videos/wa...l-Trimmer.html

I'm replacing the outer shaft and the inner driveshaft, with a
straight aluminum tube and a 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rod for
the driveshaft.

The rod will be rotating inside of nylon bushings. The nylon
bushings will be stuck inside of what Lowe's describes as "1/2" ID
PVC Reinforced Braided Vinyl Tubing". So that the bushings are
held snugly inside of the aluminum tube.

Question: Is the aluminum rod spinning inside of the nylon
bushings going to cause the bushings to get hot enough to melt the
plastic tubing, with everything closed inside of the aluminum tube?

As others said, (a) tell us the shaft RPM and (b) from following URL,
running aluminum in nylon bushings is problematic.
http://plastics.dupont.com/plastics/pdflit/europe/design/L12565_7.pdf

Also, if you have a setup to measure melting points, tell us the
melting points of your materials. From wikipedia links below,
nylon melts in a 190€“350 C range, and PVC in a 100€“260 C range,
so it might be possible to get some nylon that melts at a lower
temperature than some PVC. In any case, heat transfer through
the nylon will be slow, so I think your nylon bushing will melt
down before the PVC does, even if your PVC has a low melting point.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_chloride
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon

Have you looked through all the sintered Oilite bushings available
at local hardware stores? Typical Ace HW and TruValue HW stores
carry assortments of dozens of different sizes of bushings like
those shown at http://www.oilitebushes.com/ and such a bushing
is worth considering if you can't get miniature ball bearings.

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

James Waldby wrote:
[...]

Could be worth looking at the Igus site
http://www.igus.co.uk/default.asp as they have a number of bearing
materials and can supply shafting in various forms in SS, anodised
aluminium, chrome plated etc. They have design info also.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

those engines are rated to about 10000 rpm. I see your bushings melting or
vibrating as they wear. We're talking a screeching vibration as the shaft
rolls backwards on the bushing surface. A slender tube and rod are the
perfect setup for such this.

I'd just get some cheapo radial ball bearings and sent this into your
tube. they can handle the speeds with no problem.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader presence MUNGEpanix.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

[...]

Using a 1/4 inch aluminum rod driveshaft, how many ball bearings
per foot?

That sounds fine. To most people, like for production, cost of
ball bearings over some bushing material would be the main
concern? In other words... Why don't grass trimmer manufacturers
use ball bearings?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
... Why don't grass trimmer manufacturers use ball bearings?

Good point! What do they use?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt bobengelhardt comcast.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

... Why don't grass trimmer manufacturers use ball bearings?

Good point! What do they use?

My curved shaft (being replaced with a straight shaft) grass
trimmer uses a continuous single piece bushing made of nylon or
whatever.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
Using a 1/4 inch aluminum rod driveshaft, how many ball bearings
per foot?

I'd plan on one every 8" or so unless the rod is alloy that is stiff.

That sounds fine. To most people, like for production, cost of
ball bearings over some bushing material would be the main
concern? In other words... Why don't grass trimmer manufacturers
use ball bearings?

That depends on who made it. The higher end commercial units do have
ball bearings and solid drive shafts.
The low end home owner stuff usually doesn't.

Thanks.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Doe" wrote in message
Using a 1/4 inch aluminum rod driveshaft, how many ball bearings
per foot?

http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl...cal_Speed.html

Have fun!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

You'd really have to test that out. How flexible your shaft and tube are
will matter.

That sounds fine. To most people, like for production, cost of
ball bearings over some bushing material would be the main
concern? In other words... Why don't grass trimmer manufacturers
use ball bearings?

I checked some manuals from redmax, to look at the exploded diagrams.

here's one

http://www.redmax.com/ddoc/RMXI/RMXI...20and%20up.pdf

They don't really list what bearins are there, which is probably none, but
I'm guessing the shaft they use is sufficiently stiff to not need support
at any place other than the ends. Their typical engine has a female
spline shape cut into the clutch. Lining up bearings and shafts is a pain,
so they're probably just supporting one side of their shaft at the engine
which has a ball or roller bearing at the end, and then at their little
gearbox thing that changes angles and holts the cutting blade/string or
whatever the tool uses.

To them, the less the part count the better.