Ben

Default Aluminum Heat Treatment

To bend some AL tubing (6061 T6) with thin walls I am having some problems
without annealing it first. But after great research I am finding it hard to
find out how to re-temper the metal or heat treat it after annealing to the
T6 properties. Any one here able to give me the low down of heat treatment
(preferably a local treatment so I can re-temper the welded sections as
well) I am aware of oven treating the part and know it would be best, but I
am unable to afford the cost and I am not in a local that has a oven
available.

The metal I am bending is 6061 T6 1.75" OD and 0063"wall if that will make a
difference.

TIA
Ben

Glenn Cramond

"Ben" wrote in message news:x%Xib.18672$x97.11100@clgrps13...
To bend some AL tubing (6061 T6) with thin walls I am having some problems
without annealing it first. But after great research I am finding it hard to
find out how to re-temper the metal or heat treat it after annealing to the
T6 properties. Any one here able to give me the low down of heat treatment
(preferably a local treatment so I can re-temper the welded sections as
well) I am aware of oven treating the part and know it would be best, but I
am unable to afford the cost and I am not in a local that has a oven
available.

The metal I am bending is 6061 T6 1.75" OD and 0063"wall if that will make a
difference.

TIA
Ben

Hi Ben,
You will have to Solution heat treat to (critical) 970 degrees F, very
rapid and complete quenching in cold water then Precipitation Heat
treat to 350 degrees F. the job will need to "soak" at these
temperatures to allow the whole part to reach the same temperature.

Glenn
Trevor Jones

Ben wrote:

To bend some AL tubing (6061 T6) with thin walls I am having some problems
without annealing it first. But after great research I am finding it hard to
find out how to re-temper the metal or heat treat it after annealing to the
T6 properties. Any one here able to give me the low down of heat treatment
(preferably a local treatment so I can re-temper the welded sections as
well) I am aware of oven treating the part and know it would be best, but I
am unable to afford the cost and I am not in a local that has a oven
available.

The metal I am bending is 6061 T6 1.75" OD and 0063"wall if that will make a
difference.

TIA
Ben

IIRC 6061 will age naturally to a T4 or T3 condition over a week or two.
T6 is not acheivable without some very accurate temperature control, way
beyond any "blacksmith" style heat treat effort.

If it has to be returned to T6, it's time to look at building an oven
to do it with. The heat treating regimen for aluminum is pretty
specific. I was taught that I required plus or minus 15 deg F (IIRC) on
the controller to do it right.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

1200 degree High heat spray paint stinks, literally Dan Musicant Metalworking 11 August 21st 20 01:03 PM
Contemplating unvented Indirect hot water upgrade vortex2 UK diy 21 December 3rd 03 11:51 PM
Cylinder v thermal store IMM UK diy 51 August 19th 03 05:30 PM
heat exchanger calculations Ed Sirett UK diy 2 July 19th 03 12:49 AM