Posted to alt.home.repair
wgd wgd is offline

Default Nylon fasteners for heat pump grill?

This is a very minor issue, but this group gives such great advice I
thought I'd ask anyway.

The metal nuts and washers securing the grill on the outside unit of my
heat pump rust over time. Not a big a deal. I just replace them.

However, I was wondering if I could use nylon washers and nuts instead.
They wouldn't rust and they might help to dampen vibrations from the
grill. Right now there is a metal flat washer, a lock washer, and a
nut. I didn't see any nylon lock washers so I'd be using a nylon flat
washer, a metal lock washer, and a nylon nut,

Here's a picture of the outdoor unit and the nylon washers and nuts.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...-fan-grill.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...shers-nuts.jpg

In general, are nylon fasteners just as good (or better?) than metal
for outdoor applications subject to weather?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
This is a very minor issue, but this group gives such great advice I
thought I'd ask anyway.

The metal nuts and washers securing the grill on the outside unit of my
heat pump rust over time. Not a big a deal. I just replace them.

However, I was wondering if I could use nylon washers and nuts instead.
They wouldn't rust and they might help to dampen vibrations from the
grill. Right now there is a metal flat washer, a lock washer, and a
nut. I didn't see any nylon lock washers so I'd be using a nylon flat
washer, a metal lock washer, and a nylon nut,

Here's a picture of the outdoor unit and the nylon washers and nuts.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...-fan-grill.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...shers-nuts.jpg

In general, are nylon fasteners just as good (or better?) than metal
for outdoor applications subject to weather?

they will break down from the uv.

use stainless steel ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wgd" wrote in message
.net...
This is a very minor issue, but this group gives such great advice I
thought I'd ask anyway.

The metal nuts and washers securing the grill on the outside unit of my
heat pump rust over time. Not a big a deal. I just replace them.

However, I was wondering if I could use nylon washers and nuts instead.
They wouldn't rust and they might help to dampen vibrations from the
grill. Right now there is a metal flat washer, a lock washer, and a
nut. I didn't see any nylon lock washers so I'd be using a nylon flat
washer, a metal lock washer, and a nylon nut,

Here's a picture of the outdoor unit and the nylon washers and nuts.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...-fan-grill.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...shers-nuts.jpg

In general, are nylon fasteners just as good (or better?) than metal
for outdoor applications subject to weather?

I second the stainless steel opinion. They hold up fine on boats. They'll
work in your situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 31, 2:35 pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"wgd" wrote in message

.net...

[...]

The white/natural nylons will, but I would expect the black nylon will
last quite some time. The nylon is pliable enough it will hold w/o
the lock washer I think.

Alternatively, you might look at replacing the bolt/nut w/ a expansion
stud like used on automotive panels. Might be an issue if the panel
must be solidly bolted to avoid vibration noise.

SS obviously is one alternative, of course, agreed...

low heat BBQ grill fireant Home Repair 7 February 26th 06 02:51 PM
Heat Pump vs. 2-Stage Heat Pump Susan Home Repair 3 December 25th 05 09:43 PM
Buddy tells me if I have elec heat and a heat pump, I can get a deal with PSE&G... dean Home Repair 3 September 26th 05 05:31 AM
What kind of grease for nylon/nylon and nylon/metal lubrication? Peter UK diy 7 July 7th 05 03:59 PM
Zoned heat-pump and backup heat strip question Abe Home Repair 2 April 26th 05 02:54 AM