Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF welding helmets

Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion
about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I
F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet wind blew it from where I put
it during a bad thunderstorm , and it's been unreliacle ever since .
I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
news
Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion
about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks .
I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet wind blew it from where I
put it during a bad thunderstorm , and it's been unreliacle ever since .
I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

My personal experience is only with NexGen. I have heard up and down on HF.
And now, I'm even hearing that there's enough accumulated lag time over the
course of a day to affect everyone, so people who weld professionally are
going back to solid lenses.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

So, you've written a post to tell us that you're going to post?

Well, I'm going to comment on it, when you write it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Snag" wrote in message
news Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a discussion
about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale for 35 bucks . I
F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet wind blew it from where I put
it during a bad thunderstorm , and it's been unreliacle ever since .
I'll post an opinion of this unit after I've had a chance to use it .

--
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
news
Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a
discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on
sale for 35 bucks . I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet
wind blew it from where I put it during a bad thunderstorm , and
it's been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit
after I've had a chance to use it . --
Snag
Learning keeps
you young !

My personal experience is only with NexGen. I have heard up and down
on HF. And now, I'm even hearing that there's enough accumulated lag
time over the course of a day to affect everyone, so people who weld
professionally are going back to solid lenses.

Steve

I tried it , just a couple of short beads with the WeldPak and it seems to
work OK . This is 4 helmets in my collection now ... 1st was a small-lens
solid , then a big lens solid , the 1st auto was a gift from the wife the
one that got wet and now this one .
I suspect if I'm going to be doing a lot of welding the big lens solid
will be my choice - BUT I did notice a big improvement in my beads when I
got that first auto unit . Might be different if I did weld a lot , but for
the little I do I like the auto helmets .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

.

"Snag" wrote in message
news Don't recall if it was here or over at sejw that there was a
discussion about HF auto-dark helmets , but I just bought one on sale
for 35 bucks . I F'ed up and let my Northern Tool one get wet wind
blew it from where I put it during a bad thunderstorm , and it's
been unreliacle ever since . I'll post an opinion of this unit after
I've had a chance to use it .

Don't bother , I won't see it . Back into the bit bucket with you Stormy .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Steve B wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a Nexgen EQC HTLS and a HF (and a couple fixed too), both work
fine. The HF with the smaller window and darker "light" shade is ok for
moving between weld positions, but not for moving clamps and whatnot.
The Nexgen with HTLS and larger window allows for moving clamps and
whatnot without lifting the helmet. I'm not a pro welder, but I've done
some moderately involved projects and not had any eye issues, though I
have had the occasional under-chin tan.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote:
I tried it , just a couple of short beads with the WeldPak and it seems to
work OK ....

I was the one that had/has the difficulty in bringing self to trust HF
when it comes to safety-related stuff as alluded to in opening thread...

Just out of curiosity, did the helmet come w/ an indication that the
ANSI Standard really does apply or was it weasel-worded to imply
something that might just be or not be so????

I've a fair amount of past experience where overseas vendors from a
large and populous country were both outright faking and in lesser cases
implying product passed N-stamp (nuclear safety-grade use)
certifications when, in fact, they weren't even close. Other examples
in the news in the relatively recent past include aircraft repair parts,
medical-certifications, etc., etc., amongst other things...

It's a fair leap of faith the vendor really does what he says he does
and I still don't have that comfort-feeling w/ HF whether or not that
distrust is warranted...again, that's me.

I'll go away again, now...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

There's a sticker on the lens unit that says "ANSI Z87.1-2003 , and
another on the helmet body that says "Welding Helmet with ANSI-Approved
Lens" . Also says it's not approved for TIG , plasma curring , laser welding
, nor OA welding/cutting operations . UV / IR protection up to 16 at all
times .
Doesn't sound like weasel-words to me ... BTW , I bought a rotating laser
level today too , and it works exactly as the advertising blurb says . Plus
it's got a lifetime warranty ! I made sure I taped the receipt to the inside
of the molded case so I won't lose it .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Snag" wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

The receipts from many cash registers will fade out before the warrantee
is over. I always make a xerox copy while the receipt is fresh.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/25/2012 3:41 PM, Snag wrote:
dpb wrote:

Just out of curiosity, did the helmet come w/ an indication that the
ANSI Standard really does apply or was it weasel-worded to imply
something that might just be or not be so????

I've a fair amount of past experience where overseas vendors from a
large and populous country were both outright faking and in lesser
cases implying product passed N-stamp (nuclear safety-grade use)
certifications when, in fact, they weren't even close. ...

It's a fair leap of faith the vendor really does what he says he does

There's a sticker on the lens unit that says "ANSI Z87.1-2003 , and
another on the helmet body that says "Welding Helmet with ANSI-Approved
Lens" . Also says it's not approved for TIG , plasma curring , laser welding
, nor OA welding/cutting operations . UV / IR protection up to 16 at all
times .
Doesn't sound like weasel-words to me ...

Well, that does indicate they are buying qualified stuff--power to 'em.

TIG I know about; plasma/laser, too. What's the problem about OA? Is
it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 8/25/2012 5:14 PM, Steve B wrote:
And I shall follow it with baited breath ......

I think that's bait on the breath...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" fired this volley in
:

There's a sticker on the lens unit that says "ANSI Z87.1-2003 , and
another on the helmet body that says "Welding Helmet with
ANSI-Approved Lens" . Also says it's not approved for TIG , plasma
curring , laser welding , nor OA welding/cutting operations

After reading all this thread, I was at HF picking up a few fatigue pads
yesterday, and remembered to look at the helmets.

The one for $54.99 is also approved for TIG. Otherwise, it has all the
approvals you say. And it's a nice helmet -- larger lens and smoother
response than my 15-year-old "professional" one. After trying the demo
model on sunlight and fluorescents, I bought one.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb fired this volley in news:k1bmu6$pih$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What's the problem about OA? Is
it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

9 is too dark for that -- 4 is too light.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 17:44:15 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"Snag" wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Indeed!!!

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
dpb fired this volley in news:k1bmu6$pih$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What's the problem about OA? Is
it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

9 is too dark for that -- 4 is too light.

LLoyd

What?

Those big haired blondes use autodark helmets for OA all the time during
teevee commercials .............

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Snag" wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 8/25/2012 1:22 PM, Snag wrote:
[...]

Good point , I will scan it into my server comp tomorrow and print a copy
..
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:
. 3.70...
dpb fired this volley in news:k1bmu6$pih$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What's the problem about OA? Is
it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

9 is too dark for that -- 4 is too light.

LLoyd

What?

Those big haired blondes use autodark helmets for OA all the time
during teevee commercials .............

Steve

Most guys are too busy looking at their bazooms to notice . Not that *I'd*
do that ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:
On 8/25/2012 5:14 PM, Steve B wrote:
And I shall follow it with baited breath ...... ...

I think that's bait on the breath...

I thought he meant he's going to eat some worms ... "Nobody loves me
everybody hates me I'm going to go eat worms . Yesterday I had two slick
ones and three fuzzy ones . I like the fuzzy ones best because they tickle
when you swallow ..."
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

fired this volley in news:k1bmu6$pih$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What's the problem about OA? Is
it infrared wrong wavelength maybe?

9 is too dark for that -- 4 is too light.

They're not adjustable between????

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb fired this volley in news:k1d61p$pf1$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

They're not adjustable between????

The passive "off" shade is 4. The darkened shade is adjustable between 9
and 13. The passive UV/IR protection "shade" is 16.

OA cutting and fusion welding can be seen best at a shade of about 5 for
welding and 6 for cutting, and is too hard to see at 9, and will "spot"
your eyes at shade 4.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

fired this volley in news:k1d61p$pf1$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

They're not adjustable between????

The passive "off" shade is 4. The darkened shade is adjustable between 9
and 13. The passive UV/IR protection "shade" is 16.

Yeah, I realized that after sent--it's the problem w/ the one I have for
smaller stick--the 9 is still so dark can barely see the bead.

Wasn't thinking about the on-adjustable range instead of just the number
range between off/on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote

I thought he meant he's going to eat some worms ... "Nobody loves me
everybody hates me I'm going to go eat worms . Yesterday I had two slick
ones and three fuzzy ones . I like the fuzzy ones best because they tickle
when you swallow ..."
--
Snag

I had this girlfriend once ............ but I digress ................. I
wonder if I could find her number ..............

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's (a)bated breath, meaning intense anticipation, from
Shakespeare.

jsw

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had
to drag us back to reality . Gee thanks ...
Snag

Well, I finally got the tractor fixed and the logging chains out,
sometimes Back to Reality takes a hard pull.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's (a)bated breath, meaning intense anticipation, from
Shakespeare.

jsw

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had
to drag us back to reality . Gee thanks ...
Snag

Well, I finally got the tractor fixed and the logging chains out,
sometimes Back to Reality takes a hard pull.

jsw

Hey Jim , are you the guy that built the bandsaw using the 'cycle wheels ?
If so I really like to get some advice and maybe plans/sketches/henscratches
of yours . I'm moving to the Ozarks and I'm thinking I need to build a small
mill to slab some trees as I thin my forest . We're going to try to build
our house as much as possible from onsite resources - one thing that grows
really really well in Stone County Arkansas is rocks , plus we've got about
10,000 oak trees .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote

There was this
girl I went to high school with that one day wore some purple tights with
her miniskirt , and she hadn't shaved her legs for apparently quite a
while . You can fill in the blanks .
--
Snag

European female tourists are the worst.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

Hey Jim , are you the guy that built the bandsaw using the 'cycle
wheels ? If so I really like to get some advice and maybe
plans/sketches/henscratches of yours . I'm moving to the Ozarks and
I'm thinking I need to build a small mill to slab some trees as I
thin my forest . We're going to try to build our house as much as
possible from onsite resources - one thing that grows really really
well in Stone County Arkansas is rocks , plus we've got about 10,000
oak trees .
--
Snag

https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...53006429714322

The tech he
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
told me to run the blade at ~5000 feet/minute. The 5.5HP Tecumseh
engine I borrowed off my log splitter has a low-vibration sweet spot
at around 3000 RPM so those determined the transmission reduction
ratio. I thought the sprocket already on the rear wheel would make
driving it simple, but I had to make a spline cutter to groove the
intermediate shaft to take the small motorcycle drive sprocket I
bought.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...48334136663058
The four horizontal bolts align the shaft parallel to the drive wheel
axis and keep the pillow blocks from shifting. The pulley is the
largest I could find, to minimize the tension and wear in the B size
vee belt.
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...07508265721842
The idler pulley is from a scrapped riding mower. The handle on the
other end of the control crank is against a stop with the spring
eyebolt end turned slightly past dead center, so a light tap or
vibration will throw out the clutch.

That sprocket mount about the only tricky machining, the blade guides
use skate bearings and round Cool Blocks(?) and the frame was all sawn
and welded square tubing, restraightened with a jack. The frame is a
simple straight easily-aligned ladder between the axles instead of a
C, and still gives about `13" of throat depth with the large
motorcycle wheels.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16850

I made the front wheel carrier a loose fit in the frame and tapped
holes for alignment bolts that slide on the fixed frame rails, same as
the pillow block bolts.

For proof of concept mount the wheels on a pair of parallel 2x4s and
try to make a loop of industrial steel strapping track properly.
They'll make the blades any length. I had to grind a lot of rubber off
the front wheel to get a wide enough crown. The rear wheel had been
burned to the cords (as I cheered him on) and was almost perfect.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Snag wrote:

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had to drag
us back to reality . Gee thanks ... and speaking of fuzzy , There was this
girl I went to high school with that one day wore some purple tights with
her miniskirt , and she hadn't shaved her legs for apparently quite a
while . You can fill in the blanks .

YOU WENT TO SCHOOL WITH BIG BIRD!!! ;-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you !!!
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Snag wrote:

Just when we were starting to have some real fun with this you had
to drag us back to reality . Gee thanks ... and speaking of fuzzy ,
There was this girl I went to high school with that one day wore
some purple tights with her miniskirt , and she hadn't shaved her
legs for apparently quite a while . You can fill in the blanks .

YOU WENT TO SCHOOL WITH BIG BIRD!!! ;-)

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH !!!
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/25/2012 5:44 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:

The receipts from many cash registers will fade out before the warrantee
is over. I always make a xerox copy while the receipt is fresh.

Joe Gwinn

A new protocol for us is born!

Welding helmets David Lesher Metalworking 38 May 12th 11 01:58 PM
Welding helmets whit3rd Metalworking 0 April 30th 11 07:56 PM
Welding Helmets [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 11th 07 06:34 AM
Autodarken welding helmets Ronnie Metalworking 8 June 24th 05 04:02 PM
Welding helmets Mouse UK diy 12 November 24th 03 02:04 PM