Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. li-ion battery chargers.

http://www.buy.com/th/interchangeabl...y-charger.html

This site offers 30 identical appearing li-ion battery chargers for
sale at $79.95 each. Is this overkill? Is there one li-ion battery
charger that can charge any battery with a few tweaks or adjustments?
How interchangeable are the battery's from different devices and
manufacturers? Please educate me on this subject.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/16/2012 6:45 PM, wrote:
http://www.buy.com/th/interchangeabl...y-charger.html

This site offers 30 identical appearing li-ion battery chargers for
sale at $79.95 each. Is this overkill? Is there one li-ion battery
charger that can charge any battery with a few tweaks or adjustments?
How interchangeable are the battery's from different devices and
manufacturers? Please educate me on this subject.

Forget the charger...buy the "green screen" ;-)

The charger is likely the same. The adapter matches up
to the contact points on the battery. Any tweaks
are included in the adapter.

It's certainly possible for there to be a standard
whereby all the contacts were in the same place and the
battery told the charger what to do. That would make
batteries a commodity. The only people to benefit from
that would be consumers...so it's not likely to happen.

People are too stupid to be able to determine the correct
charge algorithm for your battery. I'm too stupid too...
and I have exploded batteries to prove it. My computer-controlled
power supply with custom programming is not immune to operator
error...but I digress...

I've been thru this with laptop chargers. You buy a UNIVERSAL
laptop power supply. You can get adapters for a mere $9.95
that let you use it with any laptop.
Cool...
So, you buy a new laptop and try to get an adapter.
Sorry, that charger is discontinued, but we have this new
version that works with your laptop. And it's incompatible
with all the adapters you already bought.

After about three cycles of that, you give up on the idea
of anything being compatible.

I still think the green screen is the best option from that site...
assuming it comes with the adapter.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:27:19 -0700, mike wrote:

On 8/16/2012 6:45 PM, wrote:
http://www.buy.com/th/interchangeabl...y-charger.html

This site offers 30 identical appearing li-ion battery chargers for
sale at $79.95 each. Is this overkill? Is there one li-ion battery
charger that can charge any battery with a few tweaks or adjustments?
How interchangeable are the battery's from different devices and
manufacturers? Please educate me on this subject.

Forget the charger...buy the "green screen" ;-)

The charger is likely the same. The adapter matches up
to the contact points on the battery. Any tweaks
are included in the adapter.

What is this "green screen" of which you speak?? Google show's everything but.
--
To reply to this message please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address.

Why should I vote for free?
Our legislators get paid for theirs.

Real Life Adventures by Gary Wise & Lance Aldrich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mike writes:

It's certainly possible for there to be a standard
whereby all the contacts were in the same place and the
battery told the charger what to do. That would make
batteries a commodity. The only people to benefit from
that would be consumers...so it's not likely to happen.

I've been thru this with laptop chargers. You buy a UNIVERSAL
laptop power supply. You can get adapters for a mere $9.95
that let you use it with any laptop.
Cool...
So, you buy a new laptop and try to get an adapter.
Sorry, that charger is discontinued, but we have this new
version that works with your laptop. And it's incompatible
with all the adapters you already bought.

After about three cycles of that, you give up on the idea
of anything being compatible.

The EU got tired of having tens of millions of chargers in
the wastestream annually. They mandated all smartphones use
5V microUSB. The phone manufacturers bitched until they realized
that meant they need not give you one with the phone...Profit!

Apple, of course, balked.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/17/2012 4:11 AM, KG wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 19:27:19 -0700, wrote:

On 8/16/2012 6:45 PM, wrote:
http://www.buy.com/th/interchangeabl...y-charger.html

This site offers 30 identical appearing li-ion battery chargers for
sale at $79.95 each. Is this overkill? Is there one li-ion battery
charger that can charge any battery with a few tweaks or adjustments?
How interchangeable are the battery's from different devices and
manufacturers? Please educate me on this subject.

Forget the charger...buy the "green screen" ;-)

The charger is likely the same. The adapter matches up
to the contact points on the battery. Any tweaks
are included in the adapter.

What is this "green screen" of which you speak?? Google show's everything but.

Click on the link.
About 80% down the page under "best sellers in the middle".
You can't miss it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , says...

mike writes:

[...]

My boss needed to get some pictures to me today that he took with his
iPhone. He was going to email them to me. I said "why not just upload
them to my computer". He'd have had to go get his special cable instead
of using one of the three USB cables I had plugged in (regular, mini,
and micro). Ended up emailing them to somebody. Neither of us has any
idea who but it wasn't me.

If I ever get a smartphone, I'm pretty sure it won't be from Apple.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default O.T. li-ion battery chargers. / iPhone uploads

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 08:08:53 -0400, J. Clarke wrote:
says...
mike writes:
[...]

I was going to say, just get a $5 bluetooth wireless adapter for your
computer, but it appears Apple doesn't support bluetooth to transfer
photos from iPhone 4 to non apple devices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-Bluetooth-V2-0-EDR-Wireless-Adapter-Dongle-Black-/120823946802
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3761385?start=0&tstart=0

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/18/2012 12:02 PM, James Waldby wrote:

My boss needed to get some pictures to me today that he took with his
iPhone. He was going to email them to me. I said "why not just upload
them to my computer". He'd have had to go get his special cable instead
of using one of the three USB cables I had plugged in (regular, mini,
and micro). Ended up emailing them to somebody. Neither of us has any
idea who but it wasn't me.

If I ever get a smartphone, I'm pretty sure it won't be from Apple.

I was going to say, just get a $5 bluetooth wireless adapter for your
computer, but it appears Apple doesn't support bluetooth to transfer
photos from iPhone 4 to non apple devices.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-USB-2-0-Bluetooth-V2-0-EDR-Wireless-Adapter-Dongle-Black-/120823946802
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3761385?start=0&tstart=0

I had a similar problem with android and blackberry and windows mobile
and...and...
I finally gave up and installed an HTTP file server on my main machine.
Anything with a browser can transfer files over wifi...at least stuff I
have...no apples here.

was battery chargers Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 0 August 4th 11 11:02 AM
battery chargers Tim Lamb[_2_] UK diy 18 August 1st 11 01:24 AM
Inverters & battery chargers The Medway Handyman UK diy 22 September 2nd 08 12:40 PM
battery chargers fried ... RS Electronics Repair 3 April 7th 05 08:47 PM
AAA battery chargers Tim Downie UK diy 8 November 29th 03 01:22 PM