Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mike mike is offline

Default O.T. li-ion battery chargers.

On 8/16/2012 6:45 PM, wrote:
http://www.buy.com/th/interchangeabl...y-charger.html

This site offers 30 identical appearing li-ion battery chargers for
sale at $79.95 each. Is this overkill? Is there one li-ion battery
charger that can charge any battery with a few tweaks or adjustments?
How interchangeable are the battery's from different devices and
manufacturers? Please educate me on this subject.

Forget the charger...buy the "green screen" ;-)

The charger is likely the same. The adapter matches up
to the contact points on the battery. Any tweaks
are included in the adapter.

It's certainly possible for there to be a standard
whereby all the contacts were in the same place and the
battery told the charger what to do. That would make
batteries a commodity. The only people to benefit from
that would be consumers...so it's not likely to happen.

People are too stupid to be able to determine the correct
charge algorithm for your battery. I'm too stupid too...
and I have exploded batteries to prove it. My computer-controlled
power supply with custom programming is not immune to operator
error...but I digress...

I've been thru this with laptop chargers. You buy a UNIVERSAL
laptop power supply. You can get adapters for a mere $9.95
that let you use it with any laptop.
Cool...
So, you buy a new laptop and try to get an adapter.
Sorry, that charger is discontinued, but we have this new
version that works with your laptop. And it's incompatible
with all the adapters you already bought.

After about three cycles of that, you give up on the idea
of anything being compatible.

I still think the green screen is the best option from that site...
assuming it comes with the adapter.