Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - NASA's Curiosity Rover Lands on Mars

Unbelievable! That landing was so frickin' complicated that I couldn't
believe that they would even try it. Especially so considering that
only 1/2 of the US missions to Mars have landed successfully. And no
other country's missions have.

Good job!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/06/2012 05:55 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Unbelievable! That landing was so frickin' complicated that I couldn't
believe that they would even try it. Especially so considering that
only 1/2 of the US missions to Mars have landed successfully. And no
other country's missions have.

Good job!

I stayed up past my bedtime last night to watch the landing from the
control room, and got to see the little pictures. Quite amazing that
the thing did all of that landing on it's own, down to scanning the site
with RADAR to ensure it was a suitably flat location.

That's not just a little toy we've got up there this time, either; it's
about as big as a car and loaded up with all manner of instruments. I'm
looking forward to seeing some more images and learning more about our
red neighbor.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, August 6, 2012 11:52:42 AM UTC-4, Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

I watched it live also. It was great that they were able to send back pictures so quickly. Not that I don't believe they did it, but it's nice to have some visual confirmation that it's working. I'm looking forward to a year's worth of great science from this machine.

And to just expand a little on what Bob said about it being so frickin' complicated: I often look with amazement at things like this and think to myself, "who the hell ever thought that would work?" A big load of congratulations is due to NASA and all involved for having the balls to even try this, and the smarts to pull it off. I, for one, am thoroughly impressed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I think the picture of the landing unit under the parachute is fantastic!

I hear color is starting to come through. This week high res High Def
and 3-D. This is a 1000 pound RV that will prove to provide something
like we want and hope to see.

Should be some good ride for a few years. Looks large enough to get about.

Martin

On 8/6/2012 12:33 PM, rangerssuck wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
I think the picture of the landing unit under the parachute is
fantastic!
I hear color is starting to come through. This week high res High Def
and 3-D. This is a 1000 pound RV that will prove to provide something
like we want and hope to see.

Should be some good ride for a few years. Looks large enough to get
about.

Unfortunately it's only designed to last 2 Earth years. And since it has a
radioisotope generator, and not solar, I suspect it will not be able to far
exceed that like the MER did.

It reminds me of July 4, 1976. In the morning we learned of the Entebbe
raid the night before, then the Bicentennial celebration and Operation Sail,
and the Viking 1 landing in the evening. Even Curiosity can't beat that
day.

I wish we'd find some damn bacteria already. Once we have a manned mission
contamination is completely unavoidable, so it would be nice to find
something in isolation first.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 08/06/2012 07:55 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Unbelievable! That landing was so frickin' complicated that I couldn't
believe that they would even try it. Especially so considering that
only 1/2 of the US missions to Mars have landed successfully. And no
other country's missions have.

Good job!

Agreed!

And here is the very first picture received:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/255240_504332439596214_1147023620_n.jpg

technomaNge

Heads up, Mars Rover Landing amdx[_2_] Electronic Schematics 17 August 8th 12 04:11 AM
Lung disease former MG Rover workers get compensation Boris Kapusta Metalworking 3 December 27th 10 02:47 PM
Just out of curiosity... Dave Electronics Repair 5 May 13th 08 08:44 AM
Land Rover comms link cynic UK diy 28 January 12th 07 10:14 PM
Mars Rover Wheels, one large machined piece? Loren Coe Metalworking 12 February 14th 04 01:20 AM