Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Del Rosso[_4_] Tom Del Rosso[_4_] is offline

Default OT - NASA's Curiosity Rover Lands on Mars

Martin Eastburn wrote:
I think the picture of the landing unit under the parachute is
fantastic!
I hear color is starting to come through. This week high res High Def
and 3-D. This is a 1000 pound RV that will prove to provide something
like we want and hope to see.

Should be some good ride for a few years. Looks large enough to get
about.

Unfortunately it's only designed to last 2 Earth years. And since it has a
radioisotope generator, and not solar, I suspect it will not be able to far
exceed that like the MER did.

It reminds me of July 4, 1976. In the morning we learned of the Entebbe
raid the night before, then the Bicentennial celebration and Operation Sail,
and the Viking 1 landing in the evening. Even Curiosity can't beat that
day.

I wish we'd find some damn bacteria already. Once we have a manned mission
contamination is completely unavoidable, so it would be nice to find
something in isolation first.

zero, and remove the last word.