Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moonshine Stills

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen plenty of busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never saw one working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now. LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Guv Bob" fired this volley in
m:

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills?

Nope... 'Seen 'em on Tick Island here in Florida, though!

Shiners used to run the county in the '60s. (no, I don't mean that they
ran IN the county, I mean they used to OWN the place!)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 30, 8:24*pm, "Guv Bob"
wrote:
Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? *I've seen plenty of busted up ones in years past but none in many years. *Never saw one working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now. LOL! *Some of them are pretty ingenious.

The guy banging on the door yelled, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms!"
I just assumed it was more supplies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "Lloyd
E. Sponenburgh" says...

"Guv Bob" fired this volley in
m:

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills?

Nope... 'Seen 'em on Tick Island here in Florida, though!

Shiners used to run the county in the '60s. (no, I don't mean that they
ran IN the county, I mean they used to OWN the place!)

My father's best friend made shine. Never saw his still but still have
a bottle of his product. And he's been dead 20 years so the revenooers
can't do much to him.

Now that was a man. Skinny little black guy. Laid track for the
Seaboard Coast Line. Could drive a finishing nail with one tap of a 20
pound hammer and never leave a mark, or split wood with two of 'em, one
in each hand. Never saw him lose his temper and I really wouldn't want
to. Raised his own hogs, made his own sausage and his own liquor, grew
his own food, put 12 kids through college and died a wealthy man.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have not, but seems like interesting subject. I wonder what they did with
the mash, after cooking. Feed it to the livestock, maybe? Waste not, want
not.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen plenty of
busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never saw one
working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now.
LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Did the still makers use lead free solder? I wonder if lead poisoning was an
issue? Probably the cirrhosis masked the symptoms.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...
Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen plenty of
busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never saw one
working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now.
LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 31 Jul 2012 04:01:24 -0700
On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:24:06 -0700, "Guv Bob"
wrote:

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen plenty of busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never saw one working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now. LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

Ayup. Years ago I worked for a geophysical company and we were drilling
shot holes for a few months across country in North Carolina. Once one
old boy realized the concept of "Oil Well Lea$e", we would find a couple
quart mason jars of "old glory" in the front seat of the pickup truck. I
asked him about the bizness...and since he figured I was pretty
safe..gave me a tour..but I had to promise not to tell what I saw.

Kinda sorta interesting, but Id made a better still in the store room of
the chemistry lab in high school, and kept the chemistry teacher in
everclear for a couple years.

Minds me of the story, I think by Andy Griffith, of the moonshiner
who got sent to prison, and there he learned to coppersmith trade.
After he got out, well, it wasn't long before he was back. But
everybody, cops, DA, jury - all agreed it was the finest example of a
copper still they'd ever seen.

But..that was 40 yrs ago.

Gunner

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Visited Tennessee a few decades ago. Let be known among certain friends
that I was interested in corn squeezings. Friend of a friend showed up
with clear liquid in a bourbon bottle and a Mason jar. Being indecisive,
I bought both. Jocularity ensued. Still got a mite in the mason jar...

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Guv Bob" wrote in message
m...

Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen plenty of
busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never saw one
working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't be here now.
LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

I've been looking at lab equipment to distill
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemistry-La...em27c987 9c4e

They have water cooled condensers, some have other holes in the boiler so
you can add while in process, seems you could keep them going almost
continuous for batches for larger batches. My interest is trying to make
nitric acid from sulfuric acid and potassium nitrate, but it should work for
alcohol if you put in a liquid containing alcohol.

My dad used to have a woodcraft shop in Kentucky, there was a guy there that
had moonshine for sale that his family makes, would have been interesting to
see the operation.

I don't know how to make the mash, never looked it up, but I don't think I'd
have any problem extracting the alcohol using a still, I looked up some info
on the process when gas was high and corn was cheap. There are columns for
the lab stills that let you get out something like 96% alcohol from the
still then you can take out the remaining water using a molecular sieve, it
absorbs water out of alcohol and can be dried out and reused.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30-Jul-2012 21:24, Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone ever seen one of these working up in the hills? I've seen
plenty of busted up ones in years past but none in many years. Never
saw one working -- probably a good thing too or I probably wouldn't
be here now. LOL! Some of them are pretty ingenious.

This has always looked pretty reliable to me. Good plans, look easy to
build, though I haven't tried. Lots of excellent technical background
too.

http://www.moonshine-still.com/
Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:29:36 -0400, Gardner
78436578346587364578364578@kjhgfjkerhfjksdhfjkdfh kjhjkgfsdhfjdhfjkhfjkgfh.com

_________________________________________________ ___________________
Gardner Buchanan gbuchana(a)teksavvy(dot)com
FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

Those are "Reflux Stills". A good friend made one from stainless and
built a control system for it. Temperature controlled. From what he
tells me the technique, using a reflux still, is to make 98%(I
believe) grain alcohol and then cut it and flavor it rather then make
actual whiskey which is usually made in a pot still which is a far
less efficient.
Cheers,
John B.